5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck sat for a month and has rough idle

rwolfe546

Reaction score
Truck sat for a month and now has a rough idle, is there something i could add to the gas to see if that fixes it ?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Add a good quality fuel injector and system cleaner and then take it out and get on it hard to see of you can burn out the issue. If you're trucks going to sit for a while, I highly recommend Sta-Bil.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Sea-foam, I use it in everything, but you will need to use a funnel 2 move the little thingy otherwise it will just pour onto the garage floor .

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sea-foam, I use it in everything, but you will need to use a funnel 2 move the little thingy otherwise it will just pour onto the garage floor .

There should be a funnel under the passenger seat with your jack.

If your tank isn’t full it probably wouldn’t hurt to add some fresh fuel. With the ethanol in today’s gasoline it is a magnet for water and doesn’t last as long.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I put a big ole cam in her for while you was away.....

just kidding. Take it to dealer, sitting for a month shouldn’t kill a new truck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put a big ole cam in her for while you was away.....

just kidding. Take it to dealer, sitting for a month shouldn’t kill a new truck.
You are correct in that it won' "kill" a new truck...or any truck for that matter. But the gas can and will go "bad".

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
You are correct in that it won' "kill" a new truck...or any truck for that matter. But the gas can and will go "bad".
It should throw a CEL if it is continuously running rough from bad fuel. OP did a CEL show? How bad do you mean by it is running “rough?”

rwolfe546

Reaction score
No CEL. The truck was at the body shop waiting on a new front passenger door because someone hit it.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Try the cheap fixes to resolve potential condensation, but with the truck being rather new (I’m guessing it’s still under 36k) the dealer should be able to diagnose and resolve something like rough idle or running if the fuel additives do not take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread