5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck died last night

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Well, the inevitable breakdown happened last night, with the absolute worst timing it could have possibly had. But then again, when would be a good time for a truck to die? I was driving down the highway at 75 through a couple of curves, and it just died. No warning lights, no slow loss of power, nothing. Just completely died out of absolutely nowhere. Lost power steering and brakes, which, as it turns out, is incredibly scary when you're on a busy (for North Dakota anyway) interstate. Checked what I could think of and do on the side of the road with limited tools, checked battery connections and battery charge, fuses, made sure I still had gas (was pretty sure i did, but you never know, I've had gas gauges fail before.) Checked underneath to make sure fuel line wasn't disconnected, and the truck was still recognizing my key fob. I tried to restart it and it just kept turning over endlessly for, and I'm not exaggerating here, about 3 minutes. I couldn't get it to stop trying to start. Removed keyfob from the vehicle, hit the button, pressed the brake, opened the door, yelled at it, nothing would stop it from trying. I was worried it would burn out my battery or cause other issues, but it finally stopped on it's own around the 3 minute mark (somewhat kept track, between my attempts to stop it.) Called the FCA roadside assistance, they got a tow truck out to me. Downfall is dealership was closed, and still is until noon today, so I had no vehicle to get to work (I do weekend shift at 6am as a machinist). We don't have cabs or anything in town that run that early, so I had to call in a favor to work. But I guess the whole point if this rant is that the tow truck driver told me this is the 5th 2019 he's towed for the same issue, and that 3 of them are still sitting at the repair shop. He even showed me the tow records for when the vehicles were towed in by him, matching license plates and all. So has anyone else ran into this before? I'm sure hoping it's nothing major.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is sadly all new to me, but will definitely be watching this to see the outcome. I wish you the best towards getting resolution and hopefully it will happen quickly.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
This is sadly all new to me, but will definitely be watching this to see the outcome. I wish you the best towards getting resolution and hopefully it will happen quickly.
Thanks man. I'll keep everyone posted. Figured this is the kind of info everyone wants lol

Zinger

Reaction score
Thanks man. I'll keep everyone posted. Figured this is the kind of info everyone wants lol

What engine do you have? Keep us posted. Camping season is here and nothing scares me more than the thought of a complete shutdown while towing 7000 pounds.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
What engine do you have? Keep us posted. Camping season is here and nothing scares me more than the thought of a complete shutdown while towing 7000 pounds.
5.7 hemi. Should add that to my signature

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Have you had the recalls done? Something similar was happening with a bad ground, that eventually led to one of the recalls. There are several things that can lead to a dead truck but to have it happening while driving that is the first thing that jumps to mind.

RichInMN

Reaction score
I would recommend filing a federal vehicle safety complaint - failures like this one that could result in injury or death get more priority or attention.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Have you had the recalls done? Something similar was happening with a bad ground, that eventually led to one of the recalls. There are several things that can lead to a dead truck but to have it happening while driving that is the first thing that jumps to mind.
All recalls we're performed a couple months back

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Well, the dealership called me back, which was a bit of a surprise. They said one of their techs went out to look at it and it started right up, no codes that they could pull or anything out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure they're gonna think I'm crazy after a while, since this is the 3rd time it's been brought in, once because EVERY single light on my dash lit up, and I couldn't get it out of park, and when they sent a tech to my house to see it he started it right up no issues and testdrove it, the second time was I got really loud rumbling noises at random times, sounded like a wheel bearing but they checked it out and couldn't find anything, and now this. But this is a major safety problem, considering I lost all control of the vehicle at 75 miles an hour. Really hope this doesn't continue to be an issue.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
....They said one of their techs went out to look at it and it started right up, .....I'm pretty sure they're gonna think I'm crazy after a while.....

Hopefully the tow truck driver attempted/witnessed the "dead truck", too, so there's that : )

And i am with YOU, complete engine failure at high speeds is jarring. Takes ya a second to realize ur coasting & NOT accelerating!

It happened to me TWICE with an old 77 Lifted Stepside Cheyenne i had, and although i loved that truck like no other, the second time in a week with her check engine light coming ON & engine shutting OFF at 75 mph on a Houston Freeway and no mechanic being able to tell me EXACTLY "why" was enough for me & her to "part ways"....My husband was sooooo glad to see her go, used to say, "that truck stinnnkkkkks!!" (always smelled like gas inside the cabin).....and i was like, "are u crazy?! that's perfume!" (still miss her sometimes : ) lol

Last edited:

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Hopefully the tow truck driver attempted/witnessed the "dead truck", too, so there's that : )

And i am with YOU, complete engine failure at high speeds is jarring. Takes ya a second to realize ur coasting & NOT accelerating!

It happened to me TWICE with an old 77 Lifted Stepside Cheyenne i had, and although i loved that truck like no other, the second time in a week with her check engine light coming ON & engine shutting OFF at 75 mph on a Houston Freeway and no mechanic being able to tell me EXACTLY "why" was enough for me & her to "part ways"....My husband was sooooo glad to see her go, used to say, "that truck stinnnkkkkks!!" (always smelled like gas inside the cabin).....and i was like, "are u crazy?! that's perfume!" (still miss her sometimes : ) lol
Yeah, the tow truck driver attempted to start the vehicle and even put that in the report that he wrote up to give to the dealership. So there's a paper trail showing that the truck actually died. And when it first shut off my first thought was "that's weird, my cruise control just shut off" because I could feel the change in speed, but when I tried to hit the gas was when I actually realized it died. It's a majorly dangerous position to be in.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Yeah, the tow truck driver attempted to start the vehicle and even put that in the report that he wrote up to give to the dealership. So there's a paper trail showing that the truck actually died. And when it first shut off my first thought was "that's weird, my cruise control just shut off" because I could feel the change in speed, but when I tried to hit the gas was when I actually realized it died. It's a majorly dangerous position to be in.

yup, yup, DEFINITELY a "wth??!!" moment....

silver billet

Reaction score
This story reminds me of my Jeep GC, and the (literally) one thing I had to fix out-of-pocket on it after 5 years of ownership. Brake pedal sensor went flaky, so apparently the computer thought I was braking and accelerating at the same time and cut engine power. Was intermittent as well, dealer couldn't find the issue until they happened to walk up to it one time and saw the brake lights were flashing with nobody in it.

The odd thing about that was that when I tried to replicate it after the fix, I can definitely still push the brake pedal and the gas at the same time and the thing just keeps going without shutting off engine power?

I have no idea what they did, but an engine that dies on you intermittently is a good way to fill your pants in a hurry.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
You from ND? What dealer is looking at it?
Yes, Jamestown more specifically. RM Stoudts is the dealership it was towed to. They performed well on it, got back to me quickly, and gave me a loaner, so no complaints there, like I said I just feel like they're gonna think I'm crazy because I bring it in for issues that they can never repeat.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Yes, Jamestown more specifically. RM Stoudts is the dealership it was towed to. They performed well on it, got back to me quickly, and gave me a loaner, so no complaints there, like I said I just feel like they're gonna think I'm crazy because I bring it in for issues that they can never repeat.
Glad they’re treating you well. Someone mentioned the ground issue, weird sh*t sometimes comes from electrical issues...maybe they can double check it?

I’m west of you. Haven’t had any service done yet. Bought in Minot.

jkm312

Reaction score
I had similar experiences with my 09 Silverado when it was under warranty. Replaced several expensive parts and labor to swap them all out. Main computer, alternator, battery and a relay unit. Not all at once. The shop at the dealership never did find the problem, I did. There is a "box" on the left front wheel under the hood stuffed full of fuses and relays. It has it's own ground just behind the left front wheel on the frame. It had loosened up. So I retapped the threads, got a stainless steel bolt and nut, cleaned the frame contact area, put it all back together with a little marine grease and no more problems.

The first time it happened at 70 mph I was lucky to get it under control and on the shoulder of the road. The whole truck just went spastic. Second time I was within eye sight of the dealership. Third time was the last time. I got busy myself and found the answer in a GM chat room. It is absolutely terrifying. Hit a bump in the road just right, flex the frame and I lost my ground.

I've not been under the hood of the Ram in great detail because if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Thewrangler73, it might be worth asking about this possibility at the dealership where your truck is. Intermittent problems are VERY hard to pin down. There is most likely several grounds on cars and trucks today given all the electronics in them. These kinds of small electronics demand a good clean steady power supply and a proper ground to function.

You're not crazy.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
T
I had similar experiences with my 09 Silverado when it was under warranty. Replaced several expensive parts and labor to swap them all out. Main computer, alternator, battery and a relay unit. Not all at once. The shop at the dealership never did find the problem, I did. There is a "box" on the left front wheel under the hood stuffed full of fuses and relays. It has it's own ground just behind the left front wheel on the frame. It had loosened up. So I retapped the threads, got a stainless steel bolt and nut, cleaned the frame contact area, put it all back together with a little marine grease and no more problems.

The first time it happened at 70 mph I was lucky to get it under control and on the shoulder of the road. The whole truck just went spastic. Second time I was within eye sight of the dealership. Third time was the last time. I got busy myself and found the answer in a GM chat room. It is absolutely terrifying. Hit a bump in the road just right, flex the frame and I lost my ground.

I've not been under the hood of the Ram in great detail because if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Thewrangler73, it might be worth asking about this possibility at the dealership where your truck is. Intermittent problems are VERY hard to pin down. There is most likely several grounds on cars and trucks today given all the electronics in them. These kinds of small electronics demand a good clean steady power supply and a proper ground to function.

You're not crazy.
Thanks for the info! And I know I'm not crazy, I just joke that the dealership will start to think that I am. But if this happens again I'm going in and raising hell until they figure out what it is for sure. It's a major safety issue, and the generic response of 'it didn't throw any codes, so there's nothing wrong with it" isn't gonna fly.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the issue(s) youve experienced. Hope theres a resolution thats better than “tech started it right up”. Glad the tow driver substantiated things.

Users who are viewing this thread