5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel Trailer Question

der9765

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the 5.7 and 3.92's. Scheduled next week to have Bilstein's and new UCA's installed to bring truck to level. However, I've just learned we are buying a travel trailer. 5780 empty weight with a 640 tongue weight. With a good weight distribution hitch will I still sit level when towing or would I be nose high because of the level kit? Basically, should I scrap the Bilstein install and leave the factory rake for the times I tow? New to this whole weight distribution hitch thing and how it will affect a leveled truck. Thanks for any advice!

jermball623

Reaction score
You might sag a bit I do with my camper but its 1k pounds more than yours. I just got some airlift air bags for the coils to level it out. $105 on amazon and about an hour install.

jermball623

Reaction score
The coil rear end sags a lot more than a leaf spring rear.

der9765

Reaction score
You might sag a bit I do with my camper but its 1k pounds more than yours. I just got some airlift air bags for the coils to level it out. $105 on amazon and about an hour install.
I was just looking at those! Thanks for the reply.

jermball623

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine with the bags aired up and my equalizer hitch set up. Got an inch sag in the rear and an in raise up front. Would probably look level if I didn't have the leveling kit but I like the way it looks when not towing.

Attachments

• 20200305_180924.jpg
    20200305_180924.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 171

der9765

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine with the bags aired up and my equalizer hitch set up. Got an inch sag in the rear and an in raise up front. Would probably look level if I didn't have the leveling kit but I like the way it looks when not towing.
If I sit like that I'd be happy. Thanks!

runamuck

Reaction score
my trailer puts about 600# on the hitch. it is a Husky WDH and the truck rear end goes down about an inch when I hook on the trailer. trailer is 28' travel trailer about 6000# when towing

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like if you airbag it youll be fine. Leveled would be nice for the other 90% of the time.

jermball623

Reaction score
Yea forgot to mention mine is pretty nose heavy about 885 hitch weight.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bags are likely your least expensive option fix for that.

What, nobody is commenting on your tongue weight vs payload numbers yet?
(You are ok)
Surprising...

raven_DT

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the 5.7 and 3.92's. Scheduled next week to have Bilstein's and new UCA's installed to bring truck to level. However, I've just learned we are buying a travel trailer. 5780 empty weight with a 640 tongue weight. With a good weight distribution hitch will I still sit level when towing or would I be nose high because of the level kit? Basically, should I scrap the Bilstein install and leave the factory rake for the times I tow? New to this whole weight distribution hitch thing and how it will affect a leveled truck. Thanks for any advice!
The rake is there to accommodate payload and not blind people with your headlights angled up with a leveling kit installed while towing. It sounds like you will have to install additional equipment (increase mass/failure points) to overcome the leveling kit (cosmetic). I prefer function over form, but to each their own.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Do spacers or air bags in the rear. It will sag if you don't.

Grimson

Reaction score
Fully agree with Bubba here. I have the same truck but factory suspension and 830 TW. Sags so I added Timber grove bags...Timber offers special setups for those who wish to level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
Reviving an older Bilstein thread:

Looking to add Bilstein adjustable front shocks but curious about the potential impact when towing.

Specifically, if I were to raise the front end (1.7"-2") via Bilstein shocks, does that allow for any MORE weight to be distributed to the front via WDH? I prefer the look of a leveled, un-hitched truck, but do not want to impact towing performance.

I currently have Timbren spacers installed on the rear and utilize a WDH with about 700# tongue weight when hitched up to the camper. I have not weighed the setup via CAT scales yet, but measuring ground height to truck front and back, I'm within 1" each when hitched up.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread