5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Skid Plate Install

406mopartech

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I installed the TRX transmission skid plate on my 2019 DT with the Off Road Group. It was a very simple install. I just used the existing transfer case skid plate bolts for the rear of the plate. Then had to drill two 9/16" holes in the front crossmember. Lastly I installed to Riv-nuts in the holes to mount the front of the plate. It fits nicely, with plenty of clearance. It will have to be removed every oil change, to insure that it does not get filled with oil while draining. image2.jpeg image0.jpeg

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good, any chance you have a part number for the skid plate? Think it would be a good idea with all the logging roads I drive.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice work, looks factory. I went the Dethloff route myself to give some protection in that area, and no removal for oil changes (has a little hole in the right spot). How much does this part cost?

mgraham618

Reaction score
What size riv-nut and what size bolt did you use for the front holes?

MurdaRam

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I installed the TRX transmission skid plate on my 2019 DT with the Off Road Group. It was a very simple install. I just used the existing transfer case skid plate bolts for the rear of the plate. Then had to drill two 9/16" holes in the front crossmember. Lastly I installed to Riv-nuts in the holes to mount the front of the plate. It fits nicely, with plenty of clearance. It will have to be removed every oil change, to insure that it does not get filled with oil while draining. View attachment 111731 View attachment 111732
Get yourself a F106SX Fumoto Valve and you won’t need to remove the skid plate when doing oil changes

OKRam1500

Reaction score
I ended up doing this upgrade as well. The transmission skid plate is aluminum but will provide an improvement from the complete lack of protection. The transmission plate does have a hole in the approximate location of the engine oil drain plug. I will still be adding the Fumoto Valve during my next oil change.

I matched the existing bolts that are used on the other skid plates. You only need two additional bolts as the ones on the transfer case plate also hold this plate.

Parts:
Transmission Skid Plate - 68442381AB
Bolts (x2) - 6104416AA - Size M10X1.50X35.00
Rivnuts (x2) M10

Steps:
Parked car on ramps to get some extra clearance
Removed the two bolts holding the front of the transfer case skid plate
Added transmission plate on top of the transfer plate and reinstalled bolts to position
Marked the location of the 2 holes on the front crossmember
Removed transmission plate and drilled marked locations
Installed M10 Rivnuts
Reinstall transfer case and transmission plate bolts

Total install time ~1 hour

osage91

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to install the trx oem front skid plate to a Ram 1500? Looks like it would fill that void space under the engine between the bumper and front suspension

Attachments

• 586E7943-86E6-481B-B550-2A04344271B9.png
    586E7943-86E6-481B-B550-2A04344271B9.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 82
  • C3469A7E-5507-45BA-BABD-F225FBE0067A.png
    C3469A7E-5507-45BA-BABD-F225FBE0067A.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 82

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to install the trx oem front skid plate to a Ram 1500? Looks like it would fill that void space under the engine between the bumper and front suspension
the few that have done the front skid plates have been home made.
let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it

frisby5

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I installed the TRX transmission skid plate on my 2019 DT with the Off Road Group. It was a very simple install. I just used the existing transfer case skid plate bolts for the rear of the plate. Then had to drill two 9/16" holes in the front crossmember. Lastly I installed to Riv-nuts in the holes to mount the front of the plate. It fits nicely, with plenty of clearance. It will have to be removed every oil change, to insure that it does not get filled with oil while draining. View attachment 111731 View attachment 111732
Nice ! Do you have a Part# ?

osage91

Reaction score
the few that have done the front skid plates have been home made.
let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it
I haven’t done it yet as the cheapest used ones I’ve come across on eBay have still cost around $250-300 and that’s a hefty price on a part that might not even fit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front bumper is different. You would need the TRX front bumper for it to work, or some modifying, engineering to make it fit a regular Ram 1500 bumper

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As for transmission skid plate, Skeerdycat offers a bolt on full skid plate that offers more protection than the factory TRX one

Users who are viewing this thread