5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tranny wouldn't upshift.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
I had an odd issue. Chilly morning, about 40. Bighorn 5.7 started fine, moved out fine. But about 1/4 mile down the road as I was turning after a red light, the truck didn't up shift. I was going about 25 mph and RPMs were in the 6000 range. I didn't have the gear widget turned on but I'm guessing it was stuck in 1st or 2nd. I let off the gas and coasted into a turn lane to a stop. No warnings or lights on the dash. Put in P and back in D. No problem after that for the rest of the day.
I've only got 240 miles on the truck. I've done some searches online but didn't see anything quite like this. I've have a Kia Soul wish has done something similar at times but that was usually going uphill. I was on a flat road.

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel did that once when it was pretty new and cold winter time. The computer shifting these things have a huge memory and quite a learning curve. I think the dealer did a update flash after that and it never happened again.

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
Also after a dead battery event it will do this for a quarter mile or so ,which has happened to me several times

EJanx07

Reaction score
I had an odd issue. Chilly morning, about 40. Bighorn 5.7 started fine, moved out fine. But about 1/4 mile down the road as I was turning after a red light, the truck didn't up shift. I was going about 25 mph and RPMs were in the 6000 range. I didn't have the gear widget turned on but I'm guessing it was stuck in 1st or 2nd. I let off the gas and coasted into a turn lane to a stop. No warnings or lights on the dash. Put in P and back in D. No problem after that for the rest of the day.
I've only got 240 miles on the truck. I've done some searches online but didn't see anything quite like this. I've have a Kia Soul wish has done something similar at times but that was usually going uphill. I was on a flat road.
My truck did that same thing (once). I did the same exact thing you did. Hasn’t done it since (knocking on wood). That was at 1200 miles on mine, also a Big Horn...

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
No other issues since that one incident. I'll chalk it to the computer learning shift points unless it happens again.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet if you were turning you hit the gear shift on the wheel and limited the gear. it happens to people. Especially if you switched from drive to park and it was fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread