5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tranny 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 shift, slip/SLAM - P0733 - Gear 3 Shift Incorrect Ratio

Rebelde21

Reaction score
My '21 RAM Rebel has thrown a tranny code and gone into limp mode on a few occasions now: P0733 - Gear 3 Shift Incorrect Ratio.

The issue typically occurs under light(er) throttle input and a 'cold' tranny. When shifting from 3-4 (and 4-5 at times), the RPMs flare up about 600RPM (as if it were in neutral) and then SLAMS into gear.

I found a way to sort of work with it as I need to drive the truck. I need to limit the tranny to 3rd gear when leaving the house. When I get to a faster road, I rev third out to ~3500-4000rpm (where you know it wants to shift to 4th under light throttle). I then back off the throttle all the way, and click the + while it is in slight decel (no throttle input). It throws 4th, and from then on there are no issues letting it shift on its own.

The odd part is, after it slips/bangs 3-4 once, it typically it won't happen again on that drive. It makes me think it is fluid/valve body related, but the level is up to spec (2 dealers have checked).

2nd adder: I also have a 1-3 second delay/slam/thump from D to R, and once R engages it ENGAGES. Truck will lurch/lunge after it thumps into gear. If you throttle too early, it will also free rev and slam.

Wondering if anyone experienced anything similar and if there was a resolution? I am thinking it will require replacement, just dreading the process.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rebelde21

Reaction score
Update for those searching later. I only found (1) other instance with these exact symptoms...

I started working with my local dealer a couple of weeks ago. As always, there is a specific process for diagnostics/repairs which I have no problem running through.

My local dealer was GREAT to work with. Very impressed at the efficiency.

1st step: Check level, quick learn, and drive it. The dealer was cool in accepting my opinion that this would offer no improvement since I had it done at another dealer and was still having issues. They checked level, quick learn, and kept the truck at the dealer overnight on my word for a morning cold start. They replicated the same issues and moved to step 2.

2nd step: Replaced valve body. It took them 2 days to receive the part and install it. I figured longer, so I was happy. They said the truck is good, come get it. I drove it for a day, no issues. Very next morning, same thing again. Argh. I called the tech and he said just bring it back in. I had it fire off another CEL before I brought it in to replicate the same issues and code prior to the valve body change.

3rd step: This decision took 2 days from engineering, but a full replacement was approved. The tranny took 3 days to arrive, 1 day to install, and I picked the truck up the next day after the tech had a cold start and test drive.

The truck is smoother than it ever was. Shifts are like butter, and when placed in reverse I cannot feel any gear change. Like it should be! 100% corrected and thanks to the dealer and RAM engineers it was a quick and easy process.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for posting that.

brentg315

Reaction score
This is great thank you. Going through the same issue now, 2nd trip to dealer with same code.

Users who are viewing this thread