5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Train horn addition?

joemo

Reaction score
So let's kick this off. I want to add a train horn to the Rebel. Has anyone done it? Where did you mount the compressor? I do not want to remove the spare tire so wondering if their is enough space under the hood for it.
Looking for some tips on this.
thanks

Nickv1214

Reaction score
So let's kick this off. I want to add a train horn to the Rebel. Has anyone done it? Where did you mount the compressor? I do not want to remove the spare tire so wondering if their is enough space under the hood for it.
thanks
I no if you go with a aftermarket intake , like a VaraRam there is definitely plenty of room on the passenger side to mount a compressor . Once that stock air box is out there’s a ton of room to fab up a bracket , to mount to those stock intake box bolts . Might be kind of pricey but that’s really the only shot in the engine bay.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any videos on how that sounds ?

No videos but sounds exactly like a police or fire vehicle electronic air horn. Ones on fire trucks are a bit louder than police ones as they use 2 siren speakers whereas a police vehicle only uses one.

Post #28 shows where I mounted my controller.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No videos but sounds exactly like a police or fire vehicle electronic air horn. Ones on fire trucks are a bit louder than police ones as they use 2 siren speakers whereas a police vehicle only uses one.
Link to the unit you purchased please:)

Mikejones11

Reaction score
I was looking at this also. There is a ton of room behind the front bumper.

sppb32

Reaction score
I mounted mine in the front, air tank under the radiator and compressor and horns in front of the radiator, it's a bit of work but it's worth it, I also left a air outlet to use when needed.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

CMil527

Reaction score
I had a Hornblasters train horn set up on my '05 Ram SRT-10 back in the day and the compressor fit nicely along the framerail under the bed and the horns behind the bumper. Pricey option as i paid about $550 back then but so much fun to get a reaction from people! :p

2019REBEL

Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

and I have the Icon black 100 watt speaker, have it mounted on the front crossmember open bolt holes there pointed down at a 45 degree angle.
I sure hope it sounds better in person than it does on their video. Video sounds like poop!

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I sure hope it sounds better in person than it does on their video. Video sounds like poop!

Yes it does. Beside one of fire trucks(utility) at work and mine sound almost the same other than I have the 2 tones and they only have one and theirs is a bit louder as its mounted on a pushbar whereas mines behind the bumper.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes it does. Beside one of fire trucks(utility) at work and mine sound almost the same other than I have the 2 tones and they only have one and theirs is a bit louder as its mounted on a pushbar whereas mines behind the bumper.
Can you do your own video so we can hear your truck?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
thanks
I have a train horn with 6 bells a compressor and 5 gallon tank all under my limited and still have my spare. If you have the larger 33 gallon tank it takes up some room but if you don’t have air suspension you have some space that I don’t as well.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Only pictures I can find were when I had the 2 gallon tank. I upgraded about a month later to a 5 gallon. I have 2 bells under the drivers door area tucked up above the power running boards, 2 bells by the 5 gallon tank towards the middle of the truck ahead of my gas tank which is where the smaller tank is in this pic, the compressor is towards the rear of the frame on the drivers side and then 2 more bells are in front of my spare.

Attachments

• 509A9AE2-3672-4B50-BBF3-59A034900941.jpeg
    509A9AE2-3672-4B50-BBF3-59A034900941.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 95
  • 8C82E29D-94CA-4349-BDD1-F106183B7774.jpeg
    8C82E29D-94CA-4349-BDD1-F106183B7774.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 96

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Hornblasters train horn set up on my '05 Ram SRT-10 back in the day and the compressor fit nicely along the framerail under the bed and the horns behind the bumper. Pricey option as i paid about $550 back then but so much fun to get a reaction from people! :p
You have not seen pricey until you go for a set of Nathan K5LA Airchimes.
I am waiting on the weather to get just a bit warmer and the snow to melt.
Then I can work on moving my set of Nathans from my '08 Big Horn to my
'21 Laramie Ecodiesel.

I picked up a Sanden SD7H15 Clone on Amazon for $95. I will drain the oil
and put Red Hi Temperature Grease in all the bearings. I have identified two
bolts for one of the Brackets to hold the Compressor to the Ecodiesel. I have
to see about some other mounting points as well.

I will make an Hybrid Idler Pulley for the serpentine belt to drive a regular V
Belt to the Compressor. I will try to get pictures and a write up on what I
figured out.

My '08 I designed the Brackets to mount to the Alternator and
purchased a Hybrid pulley for that off the internet.

See this Thread for Pix:

Malodave

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
You have not seen pricey until you go for a set of Nathan K5LA Airchimes.
I am waiting on the weather to get just a bit warmer and the snow to melt.
Then I can work on moving my set of Nathans from my '08 Big Horn to my
'21 Laramie Ecodiesel.

I picked up a Sanden SD7H15 Clone on Amazon for $95. I will drain the oil
and put Red Hi Temperature Grease in all the bearings. I have identified two
bolts for one of the Brackets to hold the Compressor to the Ecodiesel. I have
to see about some other mounting points as well.

I will make an Hybrid Idler Pulley for the serpentine belt to drive a regular V
Belt to the Compressor. I will try to get pictures and a write up on what I
figured out.

My '08 I designed the Brackets to mount to the Alternator and
purchased a Hybrid pulley for that off the internet.

See this Thread for Pix:

Malodave
I want to upgrade to K5la at some point but wondered about mounting them separate from the bracket I always see them on. I like how you had them in your grille on your old Ram. I have an intercooler there so that won’t work for me.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to upgrade to K5la at some point but wondered about mounting them separate from the bracket I always see them on. I like how you had them in your grille on your old Ram. I have an intercooler there so that won’t work for me.
I purchased my K5LA set from Realtrainhorns.net. They are a refurbished set that
they powder coated blue and used all SS hardware. Cost was $900 back then. I
upgraded from a set of Hornblaster Shocker XLs. Those will go back on my '08
Big Horn.

I had a Viair 480C electric compressor and burned it out because of an air leak. It
would take 23 minutes to fill my two tanks (9 gal total) from 0 to 200psi. I
converted a York 210 AC compressor I got from a '73 Mercedes. The York could
do the same thing in 3 minutes at idle. Nathans need a lot of Air.

Malodave

joemo

Reaction score
Thank you all for these posts. I guess I am now following everyone else lol.
I do have the 33 gallon tank and air suspension.

joemo

Reaction score
I no if you go with a aftermarket intake , like a VaraRam there is definitely plenty of room on the passenger side to mount a compressor . Once that stock air box is out there’s a ton of room to fab up a bracket , to mount to those stock intake box bolts . Might be kind of pricey but that’s really the only shot in the engine bay.
Your post got me to look into vararam.. holy crap.. massive difference. I will be ordering one of those tomorrow lol

Users who are viewing this thread