5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS

Sidewinder2

Reaction score
Has anyone added the trailer TPMS sensors provided by Ram to their Ram? I want to make sure they work well before having the sensors install by my tire dealer.

runamuck

Reaction score
I have read a few towing blogs where folks have said they need to be on metal stems as they seem to cause the rubber ones to eventually leak.

nbase

Reaction score
My two cents, when we got our travel trailer I took it to Discount Tire, they installed the trailer sensors with the supplied metal stems. Going on two years now, no issues - no leaks, work great. My thoughts, why piece it together with different stems, they have to take it apart anyway so they might as well just put the kit in the way it comes.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine installed on my enclosed trailer. Work flawlessly. I love the system as without it I cannot see the tires in the mirrors and therefore have no idea what condition the tires are in on the interstate. I do not like the provided metal valve stems. They are FAR too long and are prone to being ripped off, so make sure you do not curb your trailer wheels!!!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had mine installed on my enclosed trailer. Work flawlessly. I love the system as without it I cannot see the tires in the mirrors and therefore have no idea what condition the tires are in on the interstate. I do not like the provided metal valve stems. They are FAR too long and are prone to being ripped off, so make sure you do not curb your trailer wheels!!!
I agree with you about the length and material they’re made of. I really like having the sensors on my boat trailer for highway travel but really do worry about launching and hitting something under water. Many boat landing are pretty rough and rutted it from power loading so it’s always a concern. Wondering if any other sensors are compatible with the system? I’m sure there are but just haven’t looked into it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you about the length and material they’re made of. I really like having the sensors on my boat trailer for highway travel but really do worry about launching and hitting something under water. Many boat landing are pretty rough and rutted it from power loading so it’s always a concern. Wondering if any other sensors are compatible with the system? I’m sure there are but just haven’t looked into it.

We'd have to figure out the frequency they're on and I"m sure other sensors in that range would work fine. I don't know the specs on them though. I think the truck sensors changed a couple years ago when they added the tire fill alert system.

Users who are viewing this thread