5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Surround Camera System

chuck_s

Reaction score
Does as the Trailer Surround Camera System Option only include the box with the cameras, cables and controller or does it also include the wiring on the vehicle going from the display screen to the connector on the rear bumper? My 2022 RAM Limited came with the Trailer Surround Camera System; however, based on the installation instructions, it appears the system is intended for a cargo trailer, not a travel trailer which I have. I'd like to sell the cameras, cables and controller, but would there be anybody with a truck wired to use those items that didn't already have them?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If a 22+ truck has 360° surround and tow prep, it has the 12-pin connector on the bumper and is setup for Trailer Surround. It's not possible to have parts missing in between if that 12-pin is there.

The kit is a $995 option that is just the box kit you have.

The system can be used on any trailer though the front camera on a TT or 5th wheel may need special handling (long arm placement). It can be calibrated and used on pretty much any trailer you can mount the cameras on.

No selling in the forums. There's a buy/sell/trade subforum and since you're freshly minted, extra extra rules. The same kit also works for the HD trucks and we have a sister site HDRAMS.COM that also has a buy/sell/trade forum.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a truck has 360° surround and tow prep, it has the 12-pin connector on the bumper and is setup for Trailer Surround. It's not possible to have parts missing in between if that 12-pin is there.

The kit is a $995 option that is just the box kit you have.

The system can be used on any trailer though the front camera on a TT or 5th wheel may need special handling (long arm placement). It can be calibrated and used on pretty much any trailer you can mount the cameras on.

No selling in the forums. There's a buy/sell/trade subforum and since you're freshly minted, extra extra rules. The same kit also works for the HD trucks and we have a sister site HDRAMS.COM that also has a buy/sell/trade forum.

So, could it be used on a Uconnect 4 that did not get the trailer surround camera system but does have 360 camera, etc...?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, could it be used on a Uconnect 4 that did not get the trailer surround camera system but does have 360 camera, etc...?

No, the pre 22 BCM can't support trailer surround.

I will edit my post to be more clear.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I'd kind of like that feature. Would be a great 12" split screen to have the trailer surrounds on there--if that's how it works.

It times out at speed >8MPH.

Tazer can keep cameras up, not sure on the Trailer surround on 22+.

I use a NAViKS box (we did a group buy early last year) on my HD to keep the cameras up, including the trailer AUX,1/AUX2 but it's not the surround.

chuckvb

Reaction score
It times out at speed >8MPH.

Tazer can keep cameras up, not sure on the Trailer surround on 22+.

I use a NAViKS box (we did a group buy early last year) on my HD to keep the cameras up, including the trailer AUX,1/AUX2 but it's not the surround.
Brutal_HO
I think ive got a similar question but im not 100% clear on your response. I also have a 2022 3500 limited and a 39ft fifthwheel. The truck has the 12 pin connector but not the reverse trailer stearing (is that the towing technology package?). To have 360 surround including the trailer what do I need ? Does that also allow the digital mirror to display the rear trailer camera when going down the road?
Thanks Chuck

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Brutal_HO
I think ive got a similar question but im not 100% clear on your response. I also have a 2022 3500 limited and a 39ft fifthwheel. The truck has the 12 pin connector but not the reverse trailer stearing (is that the towing technology package?). To have 360 surround including the trailer what do I need ? Does that also allow the digital mirror to display the rear trailer camera when going down the road?
Thanks Chuck

Trailer steer came in 2023 and cancels out Aux switches (ugh).
DRVM 3.0 (side cams display on DRVM) required trailer steer

Trailer 360 surround requires truck 360 and the camera kit. Shows on the UC5 (momentarily or backing)

DRVM with digital trailer camera is a separate system. Shows always on the mirror if selected. Camera has a tilt down feature for reversing.

Best info on the HDRams forums and both camera kits are often available in the classifieds.

chuckvb

Reaction score
Trailer steer came in 2023 and cancels out Aux switches (ugh).
DRVM 3.0 (side cams display on DRVM) required trailer steer

Trailer 360 surround requires truck 360 and the camera kit. Shows on the UC5 (momentarily or backing)

DRVM with digital trailer camera is a separate system. Shows always on the mirror if selected. Camera has a tilt down feature for reversing.

Best info on the HDRams forums and both camera kits are often available in the classifieds.

Brutal-HO
I do have trailer prep and the reverse mirror digital mirror, and truck 360. So I assume I can order just the cameras for the trailer and the wiring to reach the truck. If I get the camera kit for the trailer 360 I would think it would have to include the camera for the backup to cover the rear of the trailer. So would that be the only kit I need to order to use both the digital mirror for driving down the road to see behind me as well as the trailer 360? Can you share the Part number I'm looking for? Will I need to do anything to the truck?

Thanks chuck

Attachments

• 20230501_165520.jpg
    20230501_165520.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230501_165355.jpg
    20230501_165355.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 30

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Brutal-HO
I do have trailer prep and the reverse mirror digital mirror, and truck 360. So I assume I can order just the cameras for the trailer and the wiring to reach the truck. If I get the camera kit for the trailer 360 I would think it would have to include the camera for the backup to cover the rear of the trailer. So would that be the only kit I need to order to use both the digital mirror for driving down the road to see behind me as well as the trailer 360? Can you share the Part number I'm looking for? Will I need to do anything to the truck?

Thanks chuck

The 360° trailer camera kit has 4 cameras, L/R. Rear/Front and displays on the UC5 screen. It WIL NOT maintain a display for more than 8 seconds going more than 8MPH.

The digital tow mode camera that works with the DRVM stays up on the DRVM at all times if you select it. It's a single camera that has a tilt feature.

The 360 kit is $995 if you can find one. They're generally selling NIB on hdrams for half that. Here's one for $500, they don't usually last more than a week.

Here's a (2022) DRVM trailer camera that sold (for PN). I believe the 2023 camera is a different PN.

I've seen some posts the 2022 and 2023 DRVM cameras and CVPM are different due to the DRVM 3.0 so check the PN against your VIN.

Last edited:

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
If I do NOT have the 12-pin connector in my 2022 1500 Limited, is there a way it can be added? I do have the 12' Uconnect, DRVM, and truck surround view, but I'd really like the trailer surround view for my travel trailer.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I do NOT have the 12-pin connector in my 2022 1500 Limited, is there a way it can be added? I do have the 12' Uconnect, DRVM, and truck surround view, but I'd really like the trailer surround view for my travel trailer.
Talk to Jimmy07. I was looking forever for an answer to if it could be added. Jimmy said the truck harness should be there. You have to get the 12 pin outlet for the bumper, and then make a custom harness to attach between them. There is no available factory harness. You also have to add a module behind the dash. Then it must be programmed to work. That is the surround system, that is for backing only, displayed in the radio. Not the rear view camera, for driving, that appears in the rear view digital mirror.

DanAdelaide

Reaction score
Talk to Jimmy07. I was looking forever for an answer to if it could be added. Jimmy said the truck harness should be there. You have to get the 12 pin outlet for the bumper, and then make a custom harness to attach between them. There is no available factory harness. You also have to add a module behind the dash. Then it must be programmed to work. That is the surround system, that is for backing only, displayed in the radio. Not the rear view camera, for driving, that appears in the rear view digital mirror.
Hey guys. Did @Jimmy07 or anyone ever figure out the custom harness between the 12 pin outlet and truck harness? I have this issue on my Nov 2022 Ram 1500 Limited, whereby the Trailer Surround Camera soft key is present on the uConnect5 screen, the Trailer Gateway appears to be in place behind the steering wheel dash and connected (unless I’m confusing it with the standard gateway), I have the Mopar surround view trailer system 82216421AB, but have no 12-pin SAE J3008 plug at my rear bumper bar. I can source the plug, and happy to build a custom loom, but to where should it wire into the main truck harness?
Cheers

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys. Did @Jimmy07 or anyone ever figure out the custom harness between the 12 pin outlet and truck harness? I have this issue on my Nov 2022 Ram 1500 Limited, whereby the Trailer Surround Camera soft key is present on the uConnect5 screen, the Trailer Gateway appears to be in place behind the steering wheel dash and connected (unless I’m confusing it with the standard gateway), I have the Mopar surround view trailer system 82216421AB, but have no 12-pin SAE J3008 plug at my rear bumper bar. I can source the plug, and happy to build a custom loom, but to where should it wire into the main truck harness?
Cheers
Jimmy07 does make the harness. I don't know how much or anything, but I remember seeing a post of his saying so..

Users who are viewing this thread