5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer pulling minor gripes, not complaints.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Had the Ram for a year now, but Until I shipped it back to Colorado I hadn’t pulled a trailer until last weekend.

Positive side, pulled exactly as I would have expected, didn’t even notice the trailer.

The automated blind spot guesstimate was cool with the trailer. My 12 year old son knew more about this than I did.😄

Ultra minor gripes: the 4 pin connector is way to high on the bumper, next time I’ll use one of my adapters for the lower connection.
Second gripe; the reverse sensors didn’t automatically shut off with trailer hooked up. My Land Rover automatically disables them when towing which is nice.

Third isn’t Ram’s issue, I want to locate the trailer tongue jack further back so that I can open the tailgate.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are absolutely right about the rear sensor, my Rebel and 2019 Jeep has the same issues, it’s a matter of getting used to turning it off while trailering. You have a good suggestion.
Had the Ram for a year now, but Until I shipped it back to Colorado I hadn’t pulled a trailer until last weekend.

Positive side, pulled exactly as I would have expected, didn’t even notice the trailer.

The automated blind spot guesstimate was cool with the trailer. My 12 year old son knew more about this than I did.😄

Ultra minor gripes: the 4 pin connector is way to high on the bumper, next time I’ll use one of my adapters for the lower connection.
Second gripe; the reverse sensors didn’t automatically shut off with trailer hooked up. My Land Rover automatically disables them when towing which is nice.

Third isn’t Ram’s issue, I want to locate the trailer tongue jack further back so that I can open the tailgate.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rear sensors will not turn off automatically with the 4 pin.

When a 7 pin plug is used it uses the trailer brake pulse to notice the trailer and then will automatically turn off the rear sensors

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When a 7 pin plug is used it uses the trailer brake pulse to notice the trailer and then will automatically turn off the rear sensors
Ok, thank you for letting me know, I did tow my utility trailer several times, it does not have electric brakes, and of course had to turn off the sensor when backing up, however I did also tow both my enclosed and large flatbed trailers several times, both trailers have electric brakes, the funny thing is I don’t remember if I deactivated the sensors.

I was really surprised to see the length of the trailer icon and that the blind spot monitor works with a trailer.

One thing I did notice is that the trailer trip meter does not activate with trailers without trailer brakes.

Sometimes I just move the trailers around on my property, the flatbed trailer with heavy logs to my sawmill and the enclosed trailer for the temporary storage of the lumber that I cut on the sawmill, I don’t connect the chains or the electric plug, in that case I had to turn off the sensors.
Another thing that occurred to me a few times when I first bought my Rebel, I was helping my daughter moving from a condo to a house in Ottawa, it was a five minute drive between both places and did several trips, I loaded every compartments in the truck, I forgot a few times to close the Rambox, easy to see as soon as you look in the door mirrors.

I also forgot to retract the rear bumper bed step, it is a hell of a surprise when you want to back in the driveway in heavy traffic and the truck rear sensors detect the bed step and slams the brakes!

My excuse for forgetting is my salt and pepper hair (more salt) and 14 month away from retirement.

Drewster

Reaction score

Interesting - I've only ever towed with a 7 pin, so I've always enjoyed it turning off the sensors and tracking mileage for me. I would have assumed something was broken if I went to pull a UHaul or something similar 😅

ClancyO

Reaction score
My biggest gripe is that even with the 7 pin, even after disabling the rear sensors, it doesn’t automatically engage tow/haul mode!! Grrrrr. And then, should you leave and not notice until you are underway and activate tow/haul, the blind spot thing doesn’t sense the trailer length without a hard turn which usually (for me) wasn’t going to happen for the next 120 miles.

Drewster

Reaction score
My biggest gripe is that even with the 7 pin, even after disabling the rear sensors, it doesn’t automatically engage tow/haul mode!! Grrrrr. And then, should you leave and not notice until you are underway and activate tow/haul, the blind spot thing doesn’t sense the trailer length without a hard turn which usually (for me) wasn’t going to happen for the next 120 miles.
It's not like you *have* to use Tow/ Haul - it just makes it to where the trans shifts less frequently. Unless I'm going through mountains, I usually have it off because the truck gets better mileage (personally)

There's no other way for it to detect length without a turn - it's using the sensors in the tail lights.

Users who are viewing this thread