5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer GVWR vs Truck Max Tow Rating

lambone

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I’ve read through most of these threads in the tow section. Some of which have been very informative! I’m an experienced RVer and I understand the relationship between the numbers (TW, payload, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, etc...)

What I’ve read many times here is that these trucks are fully capable of towing up to their ratings.

I guess my question is...do you think it’s foolish to tow right up to the rating? For instance, my Laramie has a tow rating of 8,080lb rating and I’m considering a 25 ft trailer with a GVWR of 8,000lbs, the advertised tounge weight is listed at 550lb but I’d expect it to be more in the 700-800lb range in the real world.

Bad idea?

Definitely would be using a good weight distribution hitch. I’ve already swapped to LT tires, and would probably add airbags.

I’d love to go smaller and lighter, but we weekend camp with a family of 5. And I’m considering trailers with bunk options for the kids. I’m particularly sold on either Nash or Outdoors RV products due to their solid steel frames and quality of construction, but they are on the heavy side of the spectrum.

Pic is of the trailer I’m looking at. Nash 25c.

Attachments

• E506D1A6-71E7-4072-A1BF-70DF3588311A.jpeg
    E506D1A6-71E7-4072-A1BF-70DF3588311A.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are plenty here towing at or near max. The biggest challenge is not overloading the truck with gear. 5 people plus luggage will approach the limits. Moving gear to the trailer helps but you are already at max trailer weight. There are other threads that explain the limits and math based on the door sticker for your truck as built. Max cargo weight is 7100 - actual truck weight. Each truck is different based on options and add-ons.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. If you are pulling on flatter terrain and on 55mph and under roadways...go near max.

If you are driving in hilly or mountainous terrain or constantly going over 65 on highways (which some states have separate speed limits for hauling trailers) then you may want to stay away from your max rating.

That said, the best advice is tow what you feel comfortable. If you are experienced using trailer brakes to get out of a bad situation, completely understand proper gear for going up and more importantly coming down, and can keep your load spread out evenly over the truck and the trailer and set the set up using CAT scales and a properly setup WDH...then towing close to max will be comfortable.

This new 5th Gen is very capable of towing very well. Good luck with your decision.

lambone

Reaction score
Thanks devildodge,
I definitely tow in the 55-60mph range especially with the family on board. 65 if I must pass someone. I’m in Oregon and there are some mountain passes to contend with but nothing too crazy.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks devildodge,
I definitely tow in the 60-65mph range especially with the family on board. I’m in Oregon and there are some mountain passes to contend with but nothing too crazy.
I decided last camping season that I would be towing back roads in the 45 mph to 55 mph range 85% of my trips camping. We camp every weekend from April to October, so a 2500 is worth the extra investment for us.

I decided that with this scenario a Cummins is overkill. We sold our 2013 Cummins and started the search for a new Ram 2500, hoping we could convince ourselves to get a 1500...particularly a Max Steel Rebel.

I haul a good amount and haul when we tow...so 1600 or less pounds of payload won't cut it. Trying to concede to a 1500 Tradesman, but we also have decided we really would benefit from an 8 foot bed.

So now i wait 8 more days for the reveal of the 4.5 Gen HD.

Still have the 2018 truck we almost bought in August available...this one with the 4.10 gears.

If it doesn't sell come April that may be the choice we make.

If I didnt tow as often in the "Mountains" of Pennsylvania, I would get a 1500...but the 2500 trucks aren't all that uncomfortable anymore.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another “opinion”. I would not be afraid to go with that setup. Go look at the towing comparison chart, why is yours at 8k and the next truck at 11k? Gears, that’s it. You’re just going to take longer getting up to cruising speed and your engine braking won’t be as aggressive but it’s not like the truck mechanically otherwise can’t handle it. Transmission is the same, brakes are the same, suspension, etc.

On another note and just another opinion. These manufacturers trying to one up each other with towing capacity is creating false promises. My truck with 3.92s is rated a little over 11k and change but there is NO WAY I’d go over 8k-ish. Go watch some YouTube videos of trailers getting squirly and the wrecks that have happened. Just because a truck can pull X lbs, doesn’t mean it can control that weight when stuff gets real, it’s just simple physics. Unfortunately, non-experienced consumers believe everything they read so they’ll max out their rigs.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another “opinion”. I would not be afraid to go with that setup. Go look at the towing comparison chart, why is yours at 8k and the next truck at 11k? Gears, that’s it. You’re just going to take longer getting up to cruising speed and your engine braking won’t be as aggressive but it’s not like the truck mechanically otherwise can’t handle it. Transmission is the same, brakes are the same, suspension, etc.

On another note and just another opinion. These manufacturers trying to one up each other with towing capacity is creating false promises. My truck with 3.92s is rated a little over 11k and change but there is NO WAY I’d go over 8k-ish. Go watch some YouTube videos of trailers getting squirly and the wrecks that have happened. Just because a truck can pull X lbs, doesn’t mean it can control that weight when stuff gets real, it’s just simple physics. Unfortunately, non-experienced consumers believe everything they read so they’ll max out their rigs.
TFL just towed 9100 lbs like nothing, and Edmund's towed a large Airstream with no issue.

The truck is very capable, just keep in mind it is only a 1/2 ton.

I almost got myself convinced again...except for 8 foot bed and payload...the trailer really isn't the issue.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have read how they get the max tow...SAEJ2807, then if your trailering terrain is less than that...in reality your capacities will be more.

The Hemi in a 1500 will tow way more than it can stop...that is the biggest issue.

Our mountains here in Pennsylvania aren't the highest...but they have some very steep curvy sections with cross traffic...and in a situation, you have to be prepared to turn, stop, accelerate, turn, stop. Why I prefer extra capacity.

Can you set your truck up with your payload and take the trailer on a test drive?

Based on numbers, that trailer you pictured sure seems like a good fit.

Your terrain and experience seem to make it a manageable experience.

Since you already have the truck...I feel it may be just fine.

lambone

Reaction score
right truck...wrong drivetrain (n)

Ya...I considered the Rebel. I like the looks and the tow rating better...however my Accountant advised me to get the 6’4” bed so I could get a %100 business deduction for 2018. That news was too hard to pass up.

So I needed the Crew cab for the family, and the 6’4” bed, and 4x4. After searching I discovered that trim is nearly impossible to find with 3.92 gears and the higher tow rating.

Kinda frustrating.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@lambone , thanks for filling out your signature.

GVWR is 7100

GCWR is 13900

Look at your payload sticker on door jamb. Subtract that number from 7100 (or weigh your truck)

Get a good idea of your payload weight. And figure 550 for tongue weight. And also 800 for loaded

Subtract those numbers from 13900. Somewhere between those numbers is what you can make your trailer weigh.

lambone

Reaction score
So if i was at max capacity fully loaded at 7100 truck + 8000 GVWR trailer ,then I’m at 15100 GCWR

If GCWR is 13900...I’m 1,200lbs over GCWR if fully loaded?

Why does Ram give a make tow rating of 8,080lbs if that would put me so far over GCWR?

Doesn’t make any sense...with those numbers my max tow rating should be 6,800 pounds, right?

Truck is at the dealership getting tires installed so I can’t look at the sticker right now.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if i was at max capacity fully loaded at 7100 truck + 8000 GVWR trailer ,then I’m at 15100 GCWR

Why does Ram give a make tow rating of 8,080lbs if that would put me so far over GCWR?

Doesn’t make any sense...with those numbers my max tow rating should be 6,800 pounds, right?

Truck is at the dealership getting tires installed so I can’t look at the sticker right now.
Payload and tow ratings are mutually exclusive. Which means max payload and max towing can not be done at the same time.

Also the max payload truck is not the same as the max towing truck.

To get max payload you cannot tow and to get max towing you can only have 300lds of passengers.

Check out the other threads i have that explain this in greater detail, and the towing guides have this at the bottom of every page.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yes. 3.92 would have 17000 GCWR.

Yes. As long as you leave the 680 pounds for tongue weight in your truck.
Why I say the 1500 can tow a large trailer, or haul a decent load...but cannot do both at the same time...why I need a 2500

lambone

Reaction score
So in other words you can’t load your truck to max gvwr, say 7100, and tow a trailer at the stickered max tow capacity say 8,000lbs...because it would put you over GCVWR?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So in other words you can’t load your truck to max gvwr, say 7100, and tow a trailer at the stickered max tow capacity say 8,000lbs...because it would put you over GCVWR?
Yes, mak GVWR takes away from max GCWR and vice versa.

Let's do this. Payload of 1400 lbs...that is about average.

7100-1400=5700 truck weight.

Now. Anything you put in the truck takes away from GCWR. So let's say you are like me and weigh 280. That means I am only 20 pounds away from taking all the allotment for passenger.
BUT, remember that 300 isn't included with the GCWR it is used to give aTow RATING, which is outlined in SAEJ2807.

So 5700 plus 280 plus a tongue weight of 800 lbs. That is 6780. Subtract from 13900=7120 is all the trailer can weigh.

So there is your answer...I sure can not with only me in the truck.

lambone

Reaction score
If you are adding the tongue weight of the trailer into the payload of the truck...you’d also subract it from the gross weight of the trailer correct?

So by your calculation above if my loaded trailer was 8000 pounds with a tongue weight of 800lbs, I would only be at 7,200lbs with the trailer correct?

Jeeze this stuff is confusing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The trailer would be 8000 ppounds, but the hitch is taking 800 pounds of force on it and takes 800 pounds from payload.

The gross weight of your trailer is what the truck is dragging along, but the tongue weight is being hauled by the truck.

Make more sense that way?

Users who are viewing this thread