5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera Prewire

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on the apparently new feature for adding a trailer camera prewire to a 1500? I'm guessing this is another outlet near the existing trailer wiring connectors where I can add my own trailer camera. What I don't know is how useful this feature would be for me hauling an enclosed aluminum (Trailex) car hauler. Since the rear door of the Trailex opens up, I'm not sure where I'd mount an aftermarket camera. I can imagine this would be especially helpful while reversing, but happy to hear from any of you who have mounted a camera on your trailers and how useful it proved to be.

It looks like this is a pretty cheap option at around $500, but since it isn't up n RamTrucks.com, I'm left to speculate.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Sub'd. Curious to hear other's feedback on this as well. @TAL2GK did you see this referenced somewhere specifically for the 1500? Everything I've seen references 2500+ (pretty exhaustive thread on the HDRam site). I've been exploring options as well, from building my own interface to bypass the tailgate cam to finding out how to add the features from the 2500+ to just adding a 3rd party system.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
One of the dealers listed it to me as an option. I ended up not asking for it on the build I ordered, so I cant confirm if it is real or a mistake from that one dealer (I didnt end up buying from the one that mentioned it).

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am surprised there isn’t an option yet. Based on what I have seen and read about it for 2500 and 3500 you would have to add the third brake light with cargo cam, which isn’t available for our trucks, yet. They have them available for classics up to 2019. Not sure what the hold up is in getting this done.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Just looked at the 2021 build configurator and see the option to select trailer camera wiring along with trailer tire pressure monitoring now included on the trailer tow group.

1599098385760.png

1599098522242.png

tim7139

Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on the apparently new feature for adding a trailer camera prewire to a 1500? I'm guessing this is another outlet near the existing trailer wiring connectors where I can add my own trailer camera.
It's intended for use with Mopar camera kits. The kit uses the same camera you'll find installed in the tailgate, along with cables and connectors.

tim7139

Reaction score
Since the rear door of the Trailex opens up, I'm not sure where I'd mount an aftermarket camera. I can imagine this would be especially helpful while reversing, but happy to hear from any of you who have mounted a camera on your trailers and how useful it proved to be.
I like seeing them mounted to the door at tailgate height, with wiring run under a raceway. One downside of this location is they are easy to steal.
Roof is second most popular since it's harder to steal and provides a good vantage point. Unfortunately the camera clarity drops as additional wiring used, so the added distance needed for the height can drop the quality past the aceptable range.
Trailer bottom or Bumper would be the remaining options for you, but view angles are limited and again theft may be a concern.
I'd avoid fenders if equipped, even on a boat trailer since it's submersible.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That Mopar camera is a POS. Terrible image.

We have a couple big threads on the trailer camera over on HDRams. We're also working with NAVIKS on support for the 2020+ (2 aux cams) box that offers an always on and turn signal triggered solution for the 360* camera option. One member is working through some beta testing efforts with NAVIKS right now.

You can't source the 12-pin lead cable or any of the cable harness parts only from MOPAR without the camera, but a few of us have sourced the (same) Ford 12-pin lead cable and are (or already have) modified them for use with better aftermarket cameras. Some of the members are working with Nichols mfr (he does primarily Ford stuff) for a turn-key setup.

Sainthalo

Reaction score
So my understanding is this, the factory install package I received XFQ on my 2020 2500, the bumper connection only works with the Mopar camera and no other aftermarket cameras....?
Do we know of any adapter that can plug in to specifically the bumper and add an aftermarket camera to rear of my travel trailer. If not, is there anything in the works?
I understand and I am following the Naviks thread which I understand to be a setup to allow camera on all the time bypass functions, however it has no camera. Or at least on that fits into bumper plug with kit. I’m just trying to make sense of all this.
Lastly if anyone has any video of the Mopar trailer camera in action please link it, because I can’t seem to find anything except the video showing the side views of towing TT from the mirror cameras. Maybe it’s so bad that nobody is even using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my understanding is this, the factory install package I received XFQ on my 2020 2500, the bumper connection only works with the Mopar camera and no other aftermarket cameras....?
Do we know of any adapter that can plug in to specifically the bumper and add an aftermarket camera to rear of my travel trailer. If not, is there anything in the works?
I understand and I am following the Naviks thread which I understand to be a setup to allow camera on all the time bypass functions, however it has no camera. Or at least on that fits into bumper plug with kit. I’m just trying to make sense of all this.
Lastly if anyone has any video of the Mopar trailer camera in action please link it, because I can’t seem to find anything except the video showing the side views of towing TT from the mirror cameras. Maybe it’s so bad that nobody is even using it.

If you have the 12-pin plug, you can wire up any aftermarket camera you like, it's analog.

We have all the part numbers, but Mopar doesn't sell just the cable so some have bought the Ford cable and modified it.

You might reach out to Brian Nichols at https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com/ A few members were working with him to build a plug and play lead harness and extension cables for the Ram trucks.

P.S. Your 2020 that has the combo 7/12-pin in both the bed and bumper will come with only the bed 12-pin wiring harness connected. You have to swap the cable connections under the truck to use the bumper connector. Dumb, but that's the way they wired it.

Sainthalo

Reaction score
Ok that clears up a whole lot of Q’s for me Thank you always for your help. I’m sure I speak for many when I say this.

Users who are viewing this thread