5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer brake disconnect

tmartin11

Reaction score
Need some help here. Have a 2024 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 20k miles. I installed a trailer brake at 14k miles and took it to the dealer to get programmed. When I hook up my camper the trailer brake disconnect comes and goes. It’s not consistent and just flashes in and out. Thought maybe it was the camper so I took it in to get checked out.

The rv dealership said since I have solar it’s back feeding into the 7 way causing it to surge and disconnect. Made sense so they installed the solar disconnect. Picked it up today and still have the same issue.

So I’m at a cross roads. Do I swap out the 7 way plug to something different, is the trailer brake box I installed bad, or is it something else on the truck side? I traded in my old 2017 1500 and never had an issue with this camper. Just trying to figure out what to do?
IMG_7282.jpegIMG_7283.jpeg

I have the same issue with my 2025 that came with the brake controller factory installed. It seems to be mostly one specific trailer, I went and checked the wiring on the trailer and it all looked fine. When I pulled a camper last month I may have seen it pop-up once right after hooking up each time that the trailer was disconnected but with my other trailer I get the pop-up at random times while towing.

On some trips it's happens rarely and on others it might happen repeatedly for a few miles and then go away again.

On the 2025's they flipped the connector on the truck so now the 7 pin is on the top which I really dislike since having it on the bottom like my last two trucks acted as a rain shield and I feel like the locking tab that is built into the cover of the 7 pin connector works better with the cover being over top of the trailer harness.

I haven't been able to make any sense of it so far and I haven't pulled a trailer lately so I just haven't put in the effort to see what's going on.

EDIT: On the camper the 12v house battery was not connected to the 7 pin so that rules out the backfeed issue (which sounds like BS since the 12v and the brakes are separate systems) and the trailer that gives me more frequent issues has a lithium house battery connected to the 12v on the pin and it was in the same exact configuration when I had my 2021 which never had the issue of disconnect messages.

I have the same issue with my 2025 that came with the brake controller factory installed. It seems to be mostly one specific trailer, I went and checked the wiring on the trailer and it all looked fine. When I pulled a camper last month I may have seen it pop-up once right after hooking up each time that the trailer was disconnected but with my other trailer I get the pop-up at random times while towing.

On some trips it's happens rarely and on others it might happen repeatedly for a few miles and then go away again.

On the 2025's they flipped the connector on the truck so now the 7 pin is on the top which I really dislike since having it on the bottom like my last two trucks acted as a rain shield and I feel like the locking tab that is built into the cover of the 7 pin connector works better with the cover being over top of the trailer harness.

I haven't been able to make any sense of it so far and I haven't pulled a trailer lately so I just haven't put in the effort to see what's going on.

EDIT: On the camper the 12v house battery was not connected to the 7 pin so that rules out the backfeed issue (which sounds like BS since the 12v and the brakes are separate systems) and the trailer that gives me more frequent issues has a lithium house battery connected to the 12v on the pin and it was in the same exact configuration when I had my 2021 which never had the issue of disconnect messages.
Yeah, it sucks to not have an answer or know what to fix. What’s weird is when I do go to brake they work just fine but as soon as I release the brake it goes in and out again. So they work when I need them too. Just annoying to have it flashing all the time on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back