5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade value?

Bmore

Reaction score
Hello,
Currently looking to trade my 2010 Laramie on a new 2019. I was wondering if any one knows a good way to appraise the trade value before I get to another dealer? I looked at the KBB value and 1st dealer was about half that. Truck has 130k miles with about every option (in 2010) including ramboxes. Thought it would be worth more than 5k? For that I should just keep it till it dies... Thanks!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve found no matter what your vehicle is worth, dealerships will always have a justified reason to lowball you. The first thing they do when they value your trade in is ask where did you get those figures from. If your truck is as you say it is, list it for private sale for $10,000 and wait until you get your price before actually looking into a 2019.

Troop2865

Reaction score
Is the dealer offering that amount on a fully discounted new truck? That could be part of it.

I have found the used pickup market is fairly good. There are a lot of people willing to pay top dollar for a used truck that has been well taken care of. I sold mine outright and found that to be the best way to go. The only downside is I am now paying tax on the entire purchase price versus the difference in price had I traded. I recommend you try selling it yourself and see how you do. Good luck.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
There is no better way to appraise it/prep it or anything before you take it in to the dealer. The dealer wants to get a good deal on the truck to turn it into profit and at the end,
It all boils down on how bad the dealer wants to sell the “new” truck.
If they want to sell it they will give you top dollar or close to “trade in” value.

If you think you can get more try other dealers, if it’s still the same try to sell it yourself and see if it sells.

Good luck

Cannonball

Reaction score
I've got an '09 cc 4x4 fully loaded w rambox as well with 67k miles, 3" lift and new 35x12.5 MTs on her overall in very good shape. Trading her in for $16k sight unseen. Problem is there are two major accidents on her record (fully fixed via insurance) that hurt the trade in value.

That $5k offer for your '10 is a joke.

Check car max for a cash value if you want to see what the easiest (and therefore cheapest) amount you could get. USAA also has a guaranteed cash value feature I believe is powered through true car also.

Side note: If anyone reading this wants to offer me $19k, message me!

Bronenosets

Reaction score
Absolute best way to value your car is to take to CarMax for an appraisal. It will always be factual, and, in most cases higher than dealer. It is very hard to get a low offer from CarMax. I've done it 5 times over the years, each time great results. Every time I am thinking of buying a new car, I take my trade in to CarMax, get their 7-day guarantee appraisal to the dealership, and every time I am at least 2K over what dealer wants to offer. And no dealer has ver objected. Best part, CarMax appraisal is free, no obligation deal.

Bmore

Reaction score
Absolute best way to value your car is to take to CarMax for an appraisal. It will always be factual, and, in most cases higher than dealer. It is very hard to get a low offer from CarMax. I've done it 5 times over the years, each time great results. Every time I am thinking of buying a new car, I take my trade in to CarMax, get their 7-day guarantee appraisal to the dealership, and every time I am at least 2K over what dealer wants to offer. And no dealer has ver objected. Best part, CarMax appraisal is free, no obligation deal.
Thanks, I will give Carmax a try. A dealer appraised it at 10.5k the other day. Unfortunately we couldn’t make a deal on what he was selling, but I think my truck is worth more.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give Carmax a try. A dealer appraised it at 10.5k the other day. Unfortunately we couldn’t make a deal on what he was selling, but I think my truck is worth more.
I strongly whole heartily disagree 110%. I have brought numerous cars to Carmax and every time their offer is extremely lower then what dealerships have offered me for a trade in. I always then trade my vehicle in at the dealership and never once went with car max due to their low ball offers. Car Max has always been 4-6k under what the dealer has offered me. Another example here with car max which I have posted about long ago on here they offered me 36k for 2019 Ram Laramie and the dealership offered me 46k for it

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
Currently looking to trade my 2010 Laramie on a new 2019. I was wondering if any one knows a good way to appraise the trade value before I get to another dealer? I looked at the KBB value and 1st dealer was about half that. Truck has 130k miles with about every option (in 2010) including ramboxes. Thought it would be worth more than 5k? For that I should just keep it till it dies... Thanks!
A dealer should have no issue going 1k under ebb so find another honest dealer

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always received what has come up on KBB using excellent condition. I think I fit that scenario where I do take care of the truck but more importantly, my average mileage is always 12k or less a year. Mileage is the most important part and the reason your truck is getting low numbers. It’s difficult to sell a vehicle with over 100k on it. Maybe sell it privately?

Bronenosets

Reaction score
I strongly whole heartily disagree 110%. I have brought numerous cars to Carmax and every time their offer is extremely lower then what dealerships have offered me for a trade in. I always then trade my vehicle in at the dealership and never once went with car max due to their low ball offers. Car Max has always been 4-6k under what the dealer has offered me. Another example here with car max which I have posted about long ago on here they offered me 36k for 2019 Ram Laramie and the dealership offered me 46k for it

Maybe location is key to CarMax appraisals? I traded my 2016 Rebel last week. One dealer offered 26k for it, another offered 28k, got 30k from CarMax.

Chris

Reaction score
Get an Instant Cash Offer from KBB, take that to a couple of the listed KBB partnered dealers to get the best real offer (they like to find a couple things to take more off), and compare that with a CarMax offer.

Take the best offer in writing to the dealership; wait until after they make an offer for the trade, then if it’s lower see if they match the best offer you have in writing. If not, go back to the place that gave the best offer and sell it (I believe they all offer a 7 day time limit for the offer).

That is the quickest way to get the most; if you are patient, then you will almost always get more by going private sale, but it may take a while to sell it depending on demand.

Bronenosets

Reaction score
Get an Instant Cash Offer from KBB, take that to a couple of the listed KBB partnered dealers to get the best real offer (they like to find a couple things to take more off), and compare that with a CarMax offer.

Take the best offer in writing to the dealership; wait until after they make an offer for the trade, then if it’s lower see if they match the best offer you have in writing. If not, go back to the place that gave the best offer and sell it (I believe they all offer a 7 day time limit for the offer).

That is the quickest way to get the most; if you are patient, then you will almost always get more by going private sale, but it may take a while to sell it depending on demand.
Problem with selling it versus trading it in, is that you're taxed on the selling price _after_ trade in. So it only makes sense if you're selling to a private party, or dealer is lowballing you by a lot.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Problem with selling it versus trading it in, is that you're taxed on the selling price _after_ trade in. So it only makes sense if you're selling to a private party, or dealer is lowballing you by a lot.
Trade in value does not reduce tax liability in Maryland.

Chris

Reaction score
Trade in value does not reduce tax liability in Maryland.
As Cannonball eluded, this is based on the state and can vary a lot; some tax you regardless, some do not tax vehicle purchases over a certain value at all, and even within the ones that do reduce the taxable sale the tax rate could make the sellings rather small ($10k at 10% tax only saves you $1k, so any offer higher then $11k and it is better to sell then trade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/