5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traction Control Partial Off & Fully Off

11B4X4

Reaction score
The manual states that there are 3 modes of traction control; on, partial off, and fully off (if equipped)

While practicing tactical life saving spin control maneuvers in a snow covered field I was disappointed to learn that even with traction control off (one press of the switch) the truck will still reduce engine power.

In the manual it says with the truck not in motion hold the traction control switch for 5 seconds and you'll hear a tone letting you know that traction control is completely disengaged, But this also caveats if equipped. I tried it in park and drive at a complete stop, no ding or ping. I don't think my Laramie has the fully off function. It's either on or partially on.

What trucks are able to completely disengage traction control? or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Raydar

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn Sport, 4x4. I have held the traction control button for quite a few seconds and never got to the "second stage" whatever that is. I have to assume that mine is not equipped.

11B4X4

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn Sport, 4x4. I have held the traction control button for quite a few seconds and never got to the "second stage" whatever that is. I have to assume that mine is not equipped.

Thanks for the reply!

I wonder if limiting the gears would of helped, like maybe to 3rd or 4th...I'll have to try that next time

11B4X4

Reaction score
(some foul language)

This guy does it...I tried in 4x4 as well and still no sound or dash display.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just did it with my truck. In park, engaged 4h. Held esc off for 5 seconds...and I think it actually took 7.

Worked. I have a 2500 so the equivalent of the 48-12 in the Rebel. Maybe that is the issue...you have the auto 4wd?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, did it in neutral and drive.

It takes more than 5 seconds

Hold it in for 10 to 15 seconds. If it doesn't do it, you are not equipped

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have held it for more than 10 seconds then it isn't equiped.

Start truck, stay in park, select 4wd (not auto) hold esc button in. At about 6 to 8 seconds it should ding and display ESC off.

It will not work in 2wd on any truck, and I am guessing possibly only with the 48-12 in a Rebel or Tradesman.

Anxious to hear back.

Hopefully someone with a bighorn, laramie, limited will chime in and some one with a tradesman and Rebel will also.

d19r93

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot in my big horn when I leave work. But if I quickly hit the button, it says Traction Off. I'm not sure what would need to "be equipped" to be able to turn off ESC.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To turn it fully off. Hitting it turns traction control off. So you can spin your rear tires in a straight line.

If you turn stability control kicks in cutting power and applying traction control.

In the full off as shown in the video...it turns off stability control aswell.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I was a you tube sensation I would show how and why.

But I am sure there are enough videos on the web describing it

d19r93

Reaction score
But why would it be considered an "If Equipped" option. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is a good question. If someone with a bighorn etc can not get it to work but someone with a Rebel or tradesman can...then we will know the "if equipped" means transfer case style

If a bighorn etc does work then we know it means 2wd vs 4wd and then that is "if equipped"

Make sense yet. It is hard talking with a forum lol

Kooch80

Reaction score
I messed around with this in my rebel after seeing a different post. as stated before, cannot turn off fully in 2wd. mine did turn off in 4HI after holding down.

Gemlin

Reaction score
My 2019 will not turn off ESC in 2wd, I have to have the vehicle in 4wd (High) and then I can get ESC to turn off.

If you drive faster than I think 39 mph, it will automatically turn ESC back on. When you slow down to 39mph or slower, it will turn it off again.

ESC = Electronic Stability Control.

4 Low - Automatically turns it off.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Once ESC and traction control are disengaged fully, what happens if you go back to two wheel drive? Does everything automatically engage? (my trucks at home, i'm at work, or i'd try it for myself)

Gemlin

Reaction score
If I put mine from 4wd to 2wd... system automatically engages ESC (back on)

I can turn traction control on or off via switch anytime... but ESC has to be in 4 high and under 39mph. Of course 4 low has it off

aametzger

Reaction score
I just tested mine - 2019 1500 limited.

In PARK, while in either 4auto or 4high, holding down the traction control button 7-10 sec turns off ESC. Switching between auto and high it turns ESC back on, but you can turn it off again in either mode. In 2wd I can't turn off ESC. As mentioned already by others, 4Low automatically turns off ESC. Side note, when ESC turns off it also turns off collision detection.

C0ps

Reaction score
I just tested mine - 2019 1500 limited.

In PARK, while in either 4auto or 4high, holding down the traction control button 7-10 sec turns off ESC. Switching between auto and high it turns ESC back on, but you can turn it off again in either mode. In 2wd I can't turn off ESC. As mentioned already by others, 4Low automatically turns off ESC. Side note, when ESC turns off it also turns off collision detection.

Same as my 2020 Sport

Users who are viewing this thread