5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS SENSORS NOT READING AFTER CHANGING OUT OEM WHEELS AND TIRES FOR ANOTHER SET OF OEM WHEELS AND TIRES

mccoybilly

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this has been addressed before. I have a 2020 ram 1500 and recently bought a different set of wheels and tires that are off of a 2021 ram 1500. When I first installed them all wheels took a while but they registered and were reading. Not too long after they all dropped and have not come back on yet. Any suggestions???

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Usually when someone changes wheels the shop will pull the sensors then air the tires back up... most likely the ones you grabbed don’t have sensors

mccoybilly

Reaction score
Yeah, the guy I bought them from took them off at his house so I don’t think he would have been able to remove them.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you know the new ones registered?
Put one of the original wheels on the front, and see.
My bet is, it will work within minutes...

mccoybilly

Reaction score
How do you know the new ones registered?
Put one of the original wheels on the front, and see.
My bet is, it will work within minutes...
When I put the new wheels and tires on and drove around a few miles the display showed them drop off. After a few more miles the new ones came on but then dropped off again and haven’t come back on yet. I haven’t driven much since that. I’m hoping that after I drive some more that they will come back on.
Have you ever heard of removing the negative battery lead for 15 minutes to reset the trucks computer? I’ve read this other places but haven’t tried it yet

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never had to do that. Not sure it would do any good, as the TPMS is listening all the time.

i know it’s a pain, but would put one original back on the front. If that comes up before the others, its the wheel transmitters...

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Take the truck to discount tire or similar and tell them to run their scanner on the sensors... it’s free and only takes a couple
Mins. If their transmitting they’ll tell you... if they’re not then odds are they’re not there. Nothing I’ve seen shows them switching frequencies for the 2021 year so if they’re working the truck should read it.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Or just take your old wheels with you and pay a few bucks and have them swap the sensors from the old wheels into the new ones... then you know for a fact the problem is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread