5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing With The Hurricane

scj

Reaction score
My truck is a 2025 Rebel which has 3.92 gears and mine has the towing package. Had to move my 24’ enclosed Sundowner car hauler today about 10 miles. Trailer weighs right at 5,000 pounds empty, has a 11,500 pound GVWR. I live in very hilly rolling terrain. It was windy today and I didn’t adjust air in rear tires. I put the truck in tow mode, adjusted the trailer brakes to heavy electric and extended the mirrors. Probably only 500 pounds of miscellaneous tools and straps in trailer. I’ve owned this trailer for a few years and have only towed it with 2500 or 3500 Ram diesel’s. Trailer has about a 700 pound tongue weight and I was surprised it only sagged the rear of the truck about 2”.
Accelerating onto the freeway there’s an approximate 15 degree grade. I didn’t rev it excessively as maximum torque is around 3500 rpm’s so I kept the max revs to 4000 rpm’s. The speed kept coming and I was at 65 by the time I had to merge. I actually had to let out of it as oncoming traffic was tight. Maintaining 60 through the rolling hills was effortless as well. The engine pulls extremely well in the 2200 to 2500 rpm’s range while cruising and on flat stretches, it would shift into 8th even at 60 mph. The engine has impressive torque to say the least. Nothing felt overworked while accelerating and I really felt it wasn’t necessary to push harder to see how much revving it could make a difference. I didn’t buy this truck to pull this trailer as it usually stays with the motor home but it is nice to know it’s an option to pull it with the 1500 twin turbo without worry.

We currently pull a similar 24' enclosed trailer with a car and race gear with a 2020 1500 Eco diesel. I am thinking about what will be our next truck and have wondered how the Hurricane does pulling. I am really interested in what the fuel economy while towing such a trailer will be. Behind the Eco I see 14-16 mpg running at posted speed limitsover the rolling terrain of the Carolinas and northern Georgia. Anyone have experience and fuel economy data with towing an enclosed trailer that checks in at around 7500 pounds behind a Hurricane powered truck?

We currently pull a similar 24' enclosed trailer with a car and race gear with a 2020 1500 Eco diesel. I am thinking about what will be our next truck and have wondered how the Hurricane does pulling. I am really interested in what the fuel economy while towing such a trailer will be. Behind the Eco I see 14-16 mpg running at posted speed limitsover the rolling terrain of the Carolinas and northern Georgia. Anyone have experience and fuel economy data with towing an enclosed trailer that checks in at around 7500 pounds behind a Hurricane powered truck?
As always, towing mileage is far more dependent on moving the wind vs. moving the weight. My tuned ecodiesel got 17-18mpg pulling a loaded flatbed car hauler weighing 6000lbs, but dropped to 14-15mpg pulling my empty 7x12 cargo trailer at <1200lbs. My current hemi gets no better than 11mpg pulling that same cargo trailer. I am willing to bet the Hurricanes get maybe 11-12 best case.

I realize this thread is Hurricane-towing-mileage-based, so these are just my thoughts and experience, and I am looking forward to seeing real Hurricane towing experience too.

10-12 mpg towing a parachute with a gas motor, whether it’s an I4 or a V8.

Physics says it takes a specific amount of energy to pull that sail at a given rate, and it’s not WOT. The energy comes from the gasoline, the engine just converts it.

I wouldn't use Heavy Electric, it spikes too hard for that lightweight trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back