5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with the 3.6 pentastar with e-torque

Bams310

Reaction score
Has anyone towed a travel trailer with the 3.6 yet? And if so what was your experience. I plan on towing with my 22f travel trailer and wanted some feedback or tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone towed a travel trailer with the 3.6 yet? And if so what was your experience. I plan on towing with my 22f travel trailer and wanted some feedback or tips

I have a 4th gen Ram with the 3.6 and am just finishing up a cross country trip towing my Surveyor 226RBDS travel trailer. We’ve towed this combo 6000 miles on this trip alone and 14000 miles total over the past two years. See my signature for truck/trailer details.

Here’s a few tips/observations based on my towing experience.

Don’t get the 3.21 axle ratio, it’s just too much gear for the 3.6 and it’s lower torque.

Around town and on rural highways acceleration, handling and braking are all adequate.

Don’t be in a hurry. I normally travel 65mph when on the interstate. Going up hills/mountains will slow you down, even when in lower gears (like loaded 18-wheelers in the slow lane). Accelerating to merge onto the interstate is slow, especially on an uphill ramp (like loaded 18-wheeler acceleration).

Wind makes huge difference at interstate speeds. No wind, 6th gear and truck feels happy to pull. Tailwind, 7th gear and truck feels peppy. Headwind/crosswinds, 5th gear and truck feels very sluggish.

Mileage: I average 10-11mpg when towing. Lowest 8.3, highest 12.7. Better mpg on rural roads, worse on interstate. Better mpg with no wind/tailwinds, worse mpg with headwinds/crosswinds.

The v6 gets the job done but it’s not a great experience. I had this truck before I ever considered getting a travel trailer. If you’re doing occasional local towing the v6 will likely be fine. For more frequent or longer-range towing, get the Hemi. I am upgrading soon. See the specs of my next truck in my signature.

Bams310

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all this information..I have the 3.55 gears so I am hoping that it will tow my ultra lite bullet trailer it’s about 4100lbs and probably 5200 fully loaded. I only tow occasionally to the beach or around California camp grounds.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all this information..I have the 3.55 gears so I am hoping that it will tow my ultra lite bullet trailer it’s about 4100lbs and probably 5200 fully loaded. I only tow occasionally to the beach or around California camp grounds.

Sounds like you’ll be fine. Your trailer’s more than 1000 lbs lighter than mine so that’s a plus. If you have any questions let me know. I’ll be happy to answer what I can.

ecb12

Reaction score
I haven't towed with the 5th Gen yet, but with the current 3.6 Duragno with Tow package I pulled an old truck home on a uhaul trailer. So about 6,500 pounds for 12 hours. It pulled fine, was a bit slow up and over some mountains but nothing unsafe. Just keep the speed down and you'll be fine. I would echo that getting the 3.55 gears would be very helpful on the 5th Gen. It ups your tow rating about 1,000 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread