5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with Tailgate down

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to tow a travel trailer with tailgate down. Considering purchasing a mid-sized TT and would like to be able to haul my ATV in the bed. With the crew cab, I have to leave the tailgate down. Anyone try this or create a setup that will allow?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think that depends on the trailer you're pulling. I have a utility trailer, with a manual jack, and the jack handle would hit the tailgate if it's down.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to tow a travel trailer with tailgate down. Considering purchasing a mid-sized TT and would like to be able to haul my ATV in the bed. With the crew cab, I have to leave the tailgate down. Anyone try this or create a setup that will allow?

Depends on how long your hitch and trailer tongue is...if it is a "v-nose" trailer or not. You'll have to do some measuring, but certainly, towing with the tailgate down is possible. We towed a v-nose, enclosed snowmobile trailer, but needed an extension on the hitch that would bear the weight of the trailer, etc. Don't forget, if you extend your hitch, you may need to extend your lighting wires for the trailer to go around sharp corners, without it pulling out, or snapping.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I think that depends on the trailer you're pulling. I have a utility trailer, with a manual jack, and the jack handle would hit the tailgate if it's down.

Yes, if the trailer has a tall jacking bolt, it may hit your tailgate.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a Ram 1500, wouldn’t you exceed payload if you have an ATV in the bed and tow a TT. You might even be close to max payload with just the ATV?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
On a Ram 1500, wouldn’t you exceed payload if you have an ATV in the bed and tow a TT. You might even be close to max payload with just the ATV?
I'm afraid that is going to be the case. My Honda Rancher weighs close to 700lbs, I'm 220lbs, plus some gear. Doesn't leave much left to account for tongue weight. I'm not looking for a large trailer, maybe 18-20 feet, but that's still gonna be around 3500 lbs I'd imagine. Interested in hearing further thoughts.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm afraid that is going to be the case. My Honda Rancher weighs close to 700lbs, I'm 220lbs, plus some gear. Doesn't leave much left to account for tongue weight. I'm not looking for a large trailer, maybe 18-20 feet, but that's still gonna be around 3500 lbs I'd imagine. Interested in hearing further thoughts.

I have a 20 foot trailer, it's 4400 dry, so count on at least 500 pounds tongue weight. You're probably right at max payload in that configuration. However, I have to think that you'd probably be over the rear axle weight, because the ATV in the back putting most of the weight in the rear, whereas a heavy travel trailer you can use a WDH to push a bit more weight forward.

If I was in your position I'd go 3/4 ton truck or a toy hauler travel trailer.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I have a 20 foot trailer, it's 4400 dry, so count on at least 500 pounds tongue weight. You're probably right at max payload in that configuration. However, I have to think that you'd probably be over the rear axle weight, because the ATV in the back putting most of the weight in the rear, whereas a heavy travel trailer you can use a WDH to push a bit more weight forward.

If I was in your position I'd go 3/4 ton truck or a toy hauler travel trailer.

Ship has sailed on the truck purchase! Sticking with my Rebel. Tent it is. haha... I was thinking about the Toy Hauler option. There are a ton of configurations and options these days.

Thanks for the thoughts!

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I will be doing the same setup but i will have to take my tailgate off to miss the electric hitch on the camper. over payload for sure but i have the 5k airlift bag system on the back and made sure im under my axle ratings.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I will be doing the same setup but i will have to take my tailgate off to miss the electric hitch on the camper. over payload for sure but i have the 5k airlift bag system on the back and made sure im under my axle ratings.
I am planning on adding an airbag system. How heavy is your ATV? Do you have a pic of your ATV in your bed without the tailgate on? How heavy is your travel trailer - more specifically tongue weight?

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I am planning on adding an airbag system. How heavy is your ATV? Do you have a pic of your ATV in your bed without the tailgate on? How heavy is your travel trailer - more specifically tongue weight?

No pic yet but i will need to made sure she even fits in the back without the tailgate yet. maybe this weekend

I do this only once or twice per year and have not done it with this Ram yet. i have the 5k# airlift bags with E rated tires to be as safe as i can with the 1500

These are all Paper #s. as i have not had time to load my "circus wagon" up with my family in and go get a real world weight. but.. The ATV papers at 760# the camper tongue weight is 725# ". i plan on taking both propane tanks and securing them somewhere in the camper behind the trailer axles to mitigate some tongue weight. I also have a american sized family that is around 600# together. so we are creeping fairly close to the axle ratings but should not be exceeding them.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget to check clearance while turning. it might fit going straight, but not on a tight turn.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
No pic yet but i will need to made sure she even fits in the back without the tailgate yet. maybe this weekend

I do this only once or twice per year and have not done it with this Ram yet. i have the 5k# airlift bags with E rated tires to be as safe as i can with the 1500

These are all Paper #s. as i have not had time to load my "circus wagon" up with my family in and go get a real world weight. but.. The ATV papers at 760# the camper tongue weight is 725# ". i plan on taking both propane tanks and securing them somewhere in the camper behind the trailer axles to mitigate some tongue weight. I also have a american sized family that is around 600# together. so we are creeping fairly close to the axle ratings but should not be exceeding them.

so you are just about double your payload rating right?

upwindstorm

Reaction score
so you are just about double your payload rating right?
ya, if my payload rating was 700# which thank god its not... from my estimates ill be about 700# over payload.. hoping i find the time soon to load everything up and go to the local grain elevator to get real numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread