5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with Rebel

RaysFanBoy

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Rebel, 5.7 (non etorque), 4x4, and no air suspension. I am looking into purchasing a 24’ boat that has a dry weight of 3,600 lbs and about another 1,400 or so with the trailer.

I’m not too worried about the hitch weight, but the sag from the coil springs has me a bit concerned.

I’d love to hear about or see photos of everyone’s Rebel setups with their boats and what issues, if any you guys have encounter. Do you think I will have any problems towing? Thanks all in advance. Love my Rebel, she’s so purty!

Zeeya

Reaction score
I’m not towing quite that much. 22’ xpress bay boat, pulls the boat way better than 2017 F150 with the 5.0. I’m not sure of tongue weight, but I also load ice chest loaded with ice and fishing gear. Squats a little, but not bad at all.
The roads I travel Lafayette to N Louisiana the F150 would drop from 6 to 3rd. The Ram is dropping from 8 to 6. I need to be a pic of it tied on to Ram. You are going to love the 392 gears for towing.

Attachments

• 15BDD851-A386-4CF4-87C1-37C01D041DAD.png
    15BDD851-A386-4CF4-87C1-37C01D041DAD.png
    402.8 KB · Views: 143

67Woody

Reaction score
I also do not have quite that size of boat but have a 21' Ranger that weighs about 2,400 lbs. When towing with my 4th gen 2011 it squatted it down pretty good so had to go to air shocks. With my 5th gen Rebel with coil springs I don't notice it even making a difference in height with factory set up. I am planning to put on Teraflex sport/haul shocks though to help when I put the snow plow on the front end for added clearance. I used the truck with factory suspension this winter with the plow and everything was fine....just want the little extra height for the front.

KingRebel

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Rebel, 5.7 (non etorque), 4x4, and no air suspension. I am looking into purchasing a 24’ boat that has a dry weight of 3,600 lbs and about another 1,400 or so with the trailer.

I’m not too worried about the hitch weight, but the sag from the coil springs has me a bit concerned.

I’d love to hear about or see photos of everyone’s Rebel setups with their boats and what issues, if any you guys have encounter. Do you think I will have any problems towing? Thanks all in advance. Love my Rebel, she’s so purty!
I don’t have a boat but did tow a suv from NY to TX. The car and carrier total over 4000 lbs.

Other than some steep hills in TN where the engine struggled a little, the Rebel handled the trip like a champ. The truck did squad a bit but I never felt unsafe during the trip.

Attachments

• 373B01FE-A154-430E-9B06-35C9B330DC0B.jpeg
    373B01FE-A154-430E-9B06-35C9B330DC0B.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 119

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't have a rebel but I tow a 24' boat (6'500 lbs total boat and trailer) with my Laramie. I bought timbren SES (link below) to help with the sag and they really do help plus they are easy to install. Biggest thing to watch with to much sag is if you have surge brakes on your trailer then they want to engage all the time creating a jerking feeling while towing. Make sure the trailer is level (by adjusting hitch height) no matter how much sag you have and you will be good.
IMG_20200422_154921.jpg

RaysFanBoy

Reaction score
I don't have a rebel but I tow a 24' boat (6'500 lbs total boat and trailer) with my Laramie. I bought timbren SES (link below) to help with the sag and they really do help plus they are easy to install. Biggest thing to watch with to much sag is if you have surge brakes on your trailer then they want to engage all the time creating a jerking feeling while towing. Make sure the trailer is level (by adjusting hitch height) no matter how much sag you have and you will be good.
View attachment 56394

Great info. Thanks all. I have added the Timbren suspension to my favorites and will definitely purchase if the truck has squatting issues (which I’m expecting). Again thank you all and please feel free to keep the photos and info coming.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMG_20200525_111308_148.jpg I tow two canams and each one weighs around 2k LBS and the 30' trailer weighs around 1500 LBS. I have a leveling kit installed and the sag isn't too too bad. I always tow with my 2500 cummins but I expiremented with this just so see how it performed and it was okay power wise and it was good handling wise. With a factory rake you are fine regarding your squat concert. Congrats on your new boat

Users who are viewing this thread