5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Sanity Check

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
I have a Bighorn CC, short bed,5.7 Non ETorque, 3.92, 4x4, 20" wheels. Payload sticker on door is 1719, GVWR 7100. Am currently looking at a hybrid camper, dry weight 4425, GVWR 5500, just a bit over 24 ft long. Guesstimating TW of 700-800 lbs.Definitelty getting WDH...estimating about 100lbs for it. Myself and family weigh in about 475 lbs. Leaves me about 400 for stuff and wiggle room. Anyone towing similar to this, if so are you satisfied? Numbers seem like I am OK, but I am totally new to travel trailer arena.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
You’ll be fine as long as you have a solid WDH. With these trucks the length will bite you on trailers that are under your max towing and PL numbers. Since these rigs are light, crosswinds will not make you happy you but I think a 24’ hybrid and a WDH would be just fine.
Enjoy it and post up pictures when you get it nailed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance

Reaction score
Be sure to get an antisway system with the WDH. Also learn the proper way to mount the bars on the WDH.

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Nordic...thanks for speedy reply. Yes....was mainly worried about length and profile of TT. Am used to towing utility trailers, etc....just never have messed with anything high profile. One other question...from what I have researched, seems 5.7 option comes with HD cooling. Does that apply to tranny or am I looking at adding an aftermarket cooler?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Nordic...thanks for speedy reply. Yes....was mainly worried about length and profile of TT. Am used to towing utility trailers, etc....just never have messed with anything high profile. One other question...from what I have researched, seems 5.7 option comes with HD cooling. Does that apply to tranny or am I looking at adding an aftermarket cooler?

You’ll be fine with a factory set up. I would focus on a good WDH and if you wanted air bags for just some extra support (though I think you’ll be fine) and go for a drive. These 8 speeds are stout and they have been dialed in nicely over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Thanks for the help all. Yes....WDH w/ anti sway will be a must. Researching them now. Mainly Equalizer and Andersen. I have found plenty of first hand reviews on the Equalizer with happy users. Havent found as many reviews on Andersen, but those I have found seem generally pleased.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I had a Jayco X23B Hybrid that I pulled with my 16 Ram with no issues and pulled just fine behind my new 19 ram. I upgraded trailers to a 27’ and had to put 10 ply tires and air bags on the truck but they weren’t needed for the Hybrid...you’ll be good to go with that truck (mine sounds almost identical) and a good wdh. The equalizer is a great hitch, my dad uses them. I use an e2 which is made by the same company but it’s a 2 point sway control instead of a 4 point.

I can’t find a pic of my 19 pulling it but here is what our Hybrid looked like. You won’t even know it’s back there.

FE3EECFE-97FA-4E4C-A29C-38A949A509F9.jpeg

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Agree with others, WDH set up is the key to safe, enjoyable towing experience. You may want to read up on Can Am's site - they're towing experts with a dedicated webpage to sharing tips: https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/

Andy has set up cars, SUV's and trucks that had problems towing. He likes EAZ-Lift which has tapered bars. I'm using a Blue Ox Sway Pro and so far have good results. By the way, Can Am will take your call and offer recommendations. They're all about helping the RV community!

Good luck and Happy Camping!

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Chris, really appreciate the input....the X23B is the exact camper I am looking at. Good to hear from someone with the same set up.
Jeff, appreciate the link, I'll check them out. Just now scratching the surface on researching WDH.

Trooper1629

Reaction score
Here is my 19’ pulling a 24 foot hybrid. Tows it just fine plenty of power for pulling and stopping. I use an Andersen WDH hitch. Im actually selling it and getting a 34 foot camper.
D8816AB2-B4F7-4E17-AA69-8F670DB23A5B.jpeg

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Trooper, great info. Nice looking rig as well. As far as the Andersen, do you think it is easier/simpler to get dialed in as the bar style WDH? Definitely looks lighter. I am pretty mechanically inclined, just have exactly zero experience with WDH.

Trooper1629

Reaction score
The Andersen is the only WDH I have used. It’s very very easy to use. There are some good videos on YouTube. Check them out. Overall great product. Made in America. Lifetime warranty and their customer service is great.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I tow a tt that is 30 foot from the rear bumper of the trailer, to the tip of the hitch. It is about 10 foot tall. Weight loaded and ready for travel is about 6500 pounds. I towed it with a 2014 ram express, quad cab, 6'4" bed 4x4, 5.7 hemi, 3.21 gears. I put timbren rubber pads that would keep the truck, along with a properly set weight distribution hitch https://www.rvautoparts.com/32217-H...MI7emfj-jf4QIV3rfACh1xTQCMEAQYAyABEgL_wPD_BwE, and the rig towed really nice. I kept it in tow haul mode and it never struggled to be in the right gear. I dont ever go faster than 60 mph while towing and the truck would go into eco mode when the road was relatively level. I do the same now with my 2019 crewcab laramie, 6'4" bed 4x4, 5.7 hemi, 3.21 gears with the same hitch and timbren rubber pads, and it tows very nice as well. It does get thirsty, about 12.5 mpg, but it is the perfect balance tow rig and every day driver, you will not be disappointed in your setup.

Attachments

• Ramntrailer.jpg
    Ramntrailer.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 46

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Rudy, awesome info. Thanks for the help. Those Timbrens look like a nice addition. Was curious about that as I have heard the Ram coil suspension can be prone to more rear sag than conventional leaf springs. Took it with a grain of salt as I dont have any firsthand experience with it so far towing heavy. Absolutely love the ride so far though.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rudy, awesome info. Thanks for the help. Those Timbrens look like a nice addition. Was curious about that as I have heard the Ram coil suspension can be prone to more rear sag than conventional leaf springs. Took it with a grain of salt as I dont have any firsthand experience with it so far towing heavy. Absolutely love the ride so far though.
Here’s a pick of my 4th gen hooked up to my tongue heavy travel trailer (920lbs including the hitch). The trailer is fully loaded for a cross country trip. Using the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1500lb bars, no Timbrens, no airbags, just stock suspension. As you can see there’s no squat. Previously I was running 1000lb bars and Timbrens to control the squat. Switched to the 1500lb bars and the Timbrens were no longer needed, and I get a better ride.

After much experimenting I’m convinced if you have enough weight distribution that airbags or Timbrens are not needed unless you’re truck is overloaded. Worked for me.

Attachments

• 4B21E0CF-8C17-43A8-B984-241A5C8BCA0A.jpeg
    4B21E0CF-8C17-43A8-B984-241A5C8BCA0A.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 75

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Zero, thanks for the detailed post, particularly the info on the squat question I had. I have settled in on targeting trailers in the 5000-6000 ish GVWR so that put me right at the TW range you're towing. And yep....yours looks nice and level. Fine looking rig you got there. If I might ask, what load range tires are folks generally running for TW in this range? Currently have stocks Nexens on mine, but final decision on trailer is a bit away. Havent found much luck browsing in the stock 20" size to get higher load range tires that aren't off road oriented. Dont mind spending the $'s to upgrade if necessary, just doing my homework to figure my all in cost to get into a TT.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 36k miles, 13k of that towing the travel trailer, just bought a new set of tires 2 months ago and went with the stock 20” Goodyear Wranglers again. They work well with the weight/length I’m towing. I just keep them aired-up near max sidewall when towing.

The only times when I think LTs would have helped me is during interstate driving and there are crosswinds over 20mph. That’s really the only time I can feel the trailer trying to move the truck around.

Last edited:

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Zero....thanks for the follow up on the tire question. Depending on when we pull the trigger on a TT, may see how the stock tires do for some short/ local trips. Glad to hear that the standard load tires did well in the weight range I am looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread