5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing for the first time

rebel58

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I bought my 2021 Ram Rebel a few months ago. Next month I’m going to help my friend move 4 hours away but I have no idea about how to tow. It is my first truck and I have never towed before. I have the receiver hitch on the truck but I have no other parts and honestly I don’t know what parts I need specifically. I’m going to tow a large uhaul trailer so could you guys help me with what I need? Thank you.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll let the more experienced towers chime in but I'll mention this having rented a Uhaul for the first time a few months back. There are no tongue jacks on the trailer! Once the trailer is loaded, there's no jacking it up and unhooking without unloading the trailer first--unless, I guess you're really strong and have a good back.

You will need to check what size ball you need--2" or 2 5/16". I can't remember which one I used. With a Rebel, you might need a hitch with a bit of drop. I have the ORG on my Limited, but I think I towed in Aero mode, so not riding quite as high as you would be.

Good luck!

Terrible_One

Reaction score

rebel58

Reaction score
I'll let the more experienced towers chime in but I'll mention this having rented a Uhaul for the first time a few months back. There are no tongue jacks on the trailer! Once the trailer is loaded, there's no jacking it up and unhooking without unloading the trailer first--unless, I guess you're really strong and have a good back.

You will need to check what size ball you need--2" or 2 5/16". I can't remember which one I used. With a Rebel, you might need a hitch with a bit of drop. I have the ORG on my Limited, but I think I towed in Aero mode, so not riding quite as high as you would be.

Good luck!
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

rebel58

Reaction score

GAscooter

Reaction score
If you have a Uhaul store in your area, you might get the trailer there. They have different hitches, balls, etc. They can hook you up with the right equipment.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Largest enclosed U-Haul is 6x12, they tow very easily. Only ~2k lbs empty

You’ll need a drawbar, 2” ball, pin.

They are 4-flat wiring which you already have a connection for.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some general things to know would be always check tire pressure and inspect the trailer before you tow, once it’s all hooked up check your trailers brake lights, running light, and turn signals. Make sure you cross the chains when you hitch up, and verify that the hitch is fully latched onto the ball. For a u-haul trailer they’re pretty light but still give yourself a little extra distance between you and the next car, turns need to be a little wider so you don’t put the trailer off the road, and most importantly if you get any sway don't hit the brakes! You’ll probably be fine with such a small trailer but just in case, if you can try to load any heavy stuff towards the front of the trailer to prevent sway.
As for backing up… well YouTube can probably explain that a little better than I can.

rebel58

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, this is a great community!

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
I like to add two more thing with towing a UHual trailer...I speak from experience on these. I know they are supposed to check it before they go out of the yard, but do yourself and check the lug nut torque before towing it. I have had two lug nuts come off on a trip and the others were very loose. This could have had catastrophic consequences. Also, I had one Uhual trailer rental that had wheel bearing issues (probably from lack of grease). After towing for 50 miles or so, check the hub temperature by feel. They will be warm, but should never be hot to the touch. If hot, something may be going really wrong with the bearings. In my case, the trailer was unloaded, so I just grabbed another from a different UHual place close to where I was. Again, just some suggestions from experience to avoid what can be a huge issue.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
So some general words of advice when pulling trailers. Take some time to stop in a empty parking lot if you can and get somewhat comfortable backing. I typically try not to get in a situation where i have to backup unless i have too. If you are unsure of where you are pulling into stop and go walk it. When you are making easy turns keep an eye in your mirror and get used to where the trailer tracks in comparison to the truck. More you get used to where it goes and what it does, the better it will go when you end up in a tighter situation. When you are backing and first learning how to do that you tend to focus a lot on the trailer, but remember to check the area around the truck as well. Nobody like a big ding on the front fender from swinging the nose into a mailbox. When you get out to get gas, do a full circle walkaround. I had a wire harness fall out and i didn't notice till the lights didn't work. It probably fell out when i pulled out of a field with tall grass 6hrs earlier. I just didn't check it each stop because I was in a hurry. So taking your time, little planning on how you navigate things and double checking. You should do fine.

Users who are viewing this thread