5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing during engine break-in

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a 2023 on Friday and need to pick up our rpod travel trailed this weekend and tow it approx 60 miles hone to prep for the summer. Have about 200 miles on the odometer. The manual says to drive gently for the first 300 miles but doesn't say anything about towing. I seem to recall my 2021 with the same engine (hemi etorque) mentioned not towing for first 500 miles and not exceeding 55mph for first 500 towing. Anyone have thoughts on whether this will cause damage to a new engine or should I just be extra gentle on the drive? The rpod is only about 4,000lbs or less but has a good amount of wind resistance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean I wouldn't till at least 750-1000 miles but it isn't my truck. There is a break in period which I believe is stated for 500 miles. It also talks about different speeds and rpm to basicly flex the engine, towing is just going to run it very hard.
It does say to not stay at the same constant speed if possible which I think for towing you would. I did not see anywhere in my 22s manual to not exceed 55mph in fact it said to make "spirited" speeds if possible.
Not likely you will damage anything even if done on a brand new engine but probably not good for the longterm.
I don't think there's any way to really know if it will or will not hurt anything.
Definitely change your oil after you get home if you do end up towing it at 300 miles.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean I wouldn't till at least 750-1000 miles but it isn't my truck. There is a break in period which I believe is stated for 500 miles. It also talks about different speeds and rpm to basicly flex the engine, towing is just going to run it very hard.
It does say to not stay at the same constant speed if possible which I think for towing you would. I did not see anywhere in my 22s manual to not exceed 55mph in fact it said to make "spirited" speeds if possible.
Not likely you will damage anything even if done on a brand new engine but probably not good for the longterm.
I don't think there's any way to really know if it will or will not hurt anything.
Definitely change your oil after you get home if you do end up towing it at 300 miles.
They changed the recommendations from my 21 to the 23 the 21 said 500 mile break-in and then references towing below 55 for 500. 23 manual only references 300 mile break-in and has nothing about towing.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me I'd tow it home on country roads and just go easy...you won't have a problem.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Many tradesman just buy a new truck and go, they definitely don't worry about brake in periods. I personally would be careful but each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread