5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Package (Are Dealers Confused)

Pritz73

Reaction score
I am in the process of finding a Rebel either locally or if local dealers won’t play ball so to speak, probably use Dennis Dillon as I could drive there from my location. I have searched high and low for a Rebel with the options I want and I have found a few but every single one of them have the tow package instead of just adding the trailer brake controller seperate. Are they just assuming that everyone that wants a Rebel wants tow mirrors or is there something else that the tow package gets you that I am missing? Manual folding mirrors are a deal breaker for me, I can’t be the only one as I park in my garage with my wife’s Durango and I must fold the mirrors in to get through the door opening. I really hate to order one as I have went through that before with a Wrangler and I just don’t have the patience. Are the dealers not understanding that you lose auto fold when selecting tow package.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of finding a Rebel either locally or if local dealers won’t play ball so to speak, probably use Dennis Dillon as I could drive there from my location. I have searched high and low for a Rebel with the options I want and I have found a few but every single one of them have the tow package instead of just adding the trailer brake controller seperate. Are they just assuming that everyone that wants a Rebel wants tow mirrors or is there something else that the tow package gets you that I am missing? Manual folding mirrors are a deal breaker for me, I can’t be the only one as I park in my garage with my wife’s Durango and I must fold the mirrors in to get through the door opening. I really hate to order one as I have went through that before with a Wrangler and I just don’t have the patience. Are the dealers not understanding that you lose auto fold when selecting tow package.
Short answer...yes...they have no idea. Same reason why most of Limiteds I looked at around here had the trailer towing package, which also gets rid of the 360 camera on the Limited. Clueless when you tell them that (and RAM wasn't very good at telling people that either).

As far as I know, the trailer tow package only adds the mirrors and the brake controller..no other options. Others here can comfirm or set me straight :)

Bwarren2

Reaction score

I'm right there with you, most Rebels have tow package but i have found a few that don't. I have a 20111 Ram that has manual fold mirrors and I don't want to do that again.

Kidder

Reaction score
I'm right there with you, most Rebels have tow package but i have found a few that don't. I have a 20111 Ram that has manual fold mirrors and I don't want to do that again.
20111, do you have a time machine?!

Is the screen a 60" instead of the archaic 12"? LOL

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
@Pritz73 Are the ones you found IN TRANSIT? If not then another potential reason could be that All the Rebels W/O the tow mirror package are getting snatched up fast off the lots, leaving the Rebels WITH the tow mirror package being the only ones left sitting on the lot.

Pritz73

Reaction score
@Pritz73 Are the ones you found IN TRANSIT? If not then another potential reason could be that All the Rebels W/O the tow mirror package are getting snatched up fast off the lots, leaving the Rebels WITH the tow mirror package being the only ones left sitting on the lot.
Many of them are in transit yes. Then the few that I find without are lacking many options.

Joel

Reaction score
This is my first ram rebel i got it with tow package and the mirrors are power fold is there a differance in the mirrors?

Joel

Reaction score
Maybe they aren't tow mirrors I know it has tow package I'm new to the ram family learning as I go

GATORB8

Reaction score
Maybe they aren't tow mirrors I know it has tow package I'm new to the ram family learning as I go
The tow mirrors are able to flip vertically:
ram_power_tow_mirror.jpg

You can have a tow hitch without the trailer tow package.

Joel

Reaction score
Ahhh ok no mine don't fold like that but in the window sticker it says tow package maybe I'm confused I've always been a Chevy guy and drove this and fell in love with it so many more options and power than the Chevy glad I made the switch

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the tow package then you have the tow mirrors which do not power fold and you lose the 360 camera...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He would just lose the power fold...and heat?...the Rebel doesn't have 360 view. Another SMH option RIP off lol

Joel

Reaction score
I will have to look at it I've only had it 4 days and like I said new to the rams so still learning all this hahahaha

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will have to look at it I've only had it 4 days and like I said new to the rams so still learning all this hahahaha

Easy way to tell. Does it look like the picture below, including little blind spot mirror i placed an arrow at? If yes, then you dont have tow mirrors and dont have a tow package, although you will most likely still have the hitch

For instance I don't have the towing package, but do have a trailer brake controller and all the other items (hitch, wiring, etc).

1543511614696.png

Tow mirrors look like this

2018-11-29_12-23-11.jpg

You can also access your build shield here:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=???

Just put your VIN number in where I put the ???

Brobee

Reaction score
Yes...yes they are. I had to really do an advanced search to buy one off the lot. 94% of the 2019 RAM Big Horn 1500's (in Ohio anyway) are configured with a 3.21, zero limited slip, Tow Package, Trailer brake control, and Level 1. On a plus side, they do include the real wheel liners :)

Old Ray

Reaction score
I have an explanation for the glut of inventory with tow packages (tow mirrors), BUT it came from a dealer so use your own discretion ( very attractive blonde sales manager lady) . They might be just covering their butt because I think there is a lot of blow back to the dealers over this screw up but her story is that the preliminary early stock orders did not have the packages detail information so they were not aware of the problem. I think FCA owes us something. (I'm another tow mirror victim).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, originally there was no indication with the window sticker and build and price. But the order guide did say this. Tradesman, bighorn, and Rebel got black manual fold no heat. The Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited got chrome, heated and where the other says manual fold it says multi function...but what does that mean really?

Very odd at best. Very confusing as to why this was done. Same with surround view...SMH

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And also...the Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn and Limited came standard with class IV hitch...so all you got was mirrors that didn't do what was "expected" and a trailer brake controller.

Atleast the tradesman and bighorn got the better hitch added also.

GATORB8

Reaction score
I have an explanation for the glut of inventory with tow packages (tow mirrors), BUT it came from a dealer so use your own discretion ( very attractive blonde sales manager lady) . They might be just covering their butt because I think there is a lot of blow back to the dealers over this screw up but her story is that the preliminary early stock orders did not have the packages detail information so they were not aware of the problem. I think FCA owes us something. (I'm another tow mirror victim).
I wonder if it's not a high profit option for the dealer. What's the real cost? Wholesale on the brake controller is probably $100 and the mirrors are probably a wash.

Users who are viewing this thread