5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire's related to towing

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I got size and load rating pretty much figured out. 275/65/r20 and E rated seem to get me what I want. I had planned to go back with the Falkens, but cost has me starting to look at other tires. Any recommendations either way when it comes to towing? I read in another thread that the BFG's KO's were not great for towing. The Cooper Discovers come up as reasonably priced and decent tread warranty. I tow about 6ish times a year at the moment. Looking to bump that up to at least 8 or 10x over the next few years. So shouldn't greatly impact tire wear, but figured it's worth asking.

Konrad

Reaction score
I read in another thread that the BFG's KO's were not great for towing.

I wonder where that came from. We live and travel full time, towing a 23ft / 6200# trailer basically every other day for 2 years now. KO2s have been excellent in every aspect. Great breaking, cornering stability, excellent grip on anything. Great in snow and on wet. After 45k miles they still have about 40% of tread. Very comfortable and quiet ride. We use 275 / 65 R18 size. My next set will be KO2s for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Yeah, came out of a thread from the tire forum. Guy appears to drive a 1 ton, so much heavier truck and trailer. Glad to hear you all have had good luck with them. Max load for mine just under 8k. So more inline with your rig.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I have run two sets of 8 ply, D rated 275/60R20 KO2’s and they have been great for towing.
I looked at that size as well. With the ORP package i think I can get the 65's without rubbing. They might rub in odd angles at full lock, but i can live with that.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I am running Yokohama Geolandar G015's and have been very happy with them. They have a bit less aggressive tread than other AT's, but tow well, and are quiet and comfortable. Just my $0.02.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I am running Yokohama Geolandar G015's and have been very happy with them. They have a bit less aggressive tread than other AT's, but tow well, and are quiet and comfortable. Just my $0.02.
I ran Geo's for years on my Tacoma. Overall was pretty happy with them. I feel like the Falkens hook up a bit better. Then again my tacoma was so light it could have just been that. Good to hear that they hold up well towing. Tacoma didn't do much of that :)

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I wonder where that came from. We live and travel full time, towing a 23ft / 6200# trailer basically every other day for 2 years now. KO2s have been excellent in every aspect. Great breaking, cornering stability, excellent grip on anything. Great in snow and on wet. After 45k miles they still have about 40% of tread. Very comfortable and quiet ride. We use 275 / 65 R18 size. My next set will be KO2s for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think this will be the tire I go with. Knowing your pulling 6k trailer all the time and they held up well. That and the number of non-towing reviews that were positive. Falkens are $85 more a tire and only rated for 5k more mileage. $20 more a tire I would probably go that route, but the extra $65 a tire is to much to swallow.

fishslayer

Reaction score
I have run Falkens 275x60r20s on 3 of my trucks for years.. I tow up to 12,000 pounds in a Hyd Dump Trailer at hiway speeds. .. never had an issue with a single tire yet . The OEM Goodyears blew in no time . Cant handle the weight . My new truck has Bridgestones on it.. so far they seem to handle it fine

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I have run Falkens 275x60r20s on 3 of my trucks for years.. I tow up to 12,000 pounds in a Hyd Dump Trailer at hiway speeds. .. never had an issue with a single tire yet . The OEM Goodyears blew in no time . Cant handle the weight . My new truck has Bridgestones on it.. so far they seem to handle it fine
After reading more reviews of the KO2's with wet conditions I am actually rethinking that choice. Missouri I run into wet roads more than snow. Without a load I already run into take-off issues on wet roads. I don't want that to get worse.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
After reading more reviews of the KO2's with wet conditions I am actually rethinking that choice. Missouri I run into wet roads more than snow. Without a load I already run into take-off issues on wet roads. I don't want that to get worse.
Not sure what you're reading, but I don't think it's fully correct, or it might be relative to how much water is actually on the roadway. I can tell you that up here in WA State where it rains 9 months out of the year essentially non-stop, K02's are the best-selling truck tire there is, hands down. Our roads are always wet. Now if there is 2" of water on the roadway, then perhaps they might not perform as great, but general wet traction is absolutely not an issue for the K02.

Bob.

Reaction score
I vote without hesitation for KO2. They are a 8-10 ply tire depending on rim size. They are the best all around tire there is. And they are quiet on the highway.
My Ram has them on 20" rims and they are 8 ply. They won't roll on the sidewalls like a passenger tire will.

I hate that fishtail generated by soft / weak tires.

fishslayer

Reaction score
the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on mine were so soft and thin that the limestone in my driveway and on the road to my Camp, penetrated several . causing flats that were not repairable. Really a poor quality tire. Thats when I tried FALKENs .. never had another problem.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on mine were so soft and thin that the limestone in my driveway and on the road to my Camp, penetrated several . causing flats that were not repairable. Really a poor quality tire. Thats when I tried FALKENs .. never had another problem.
The Falkens would 100% be my second choice, maybe even first over the K02. My brother has them on his Titan and they have been amazing as well in wet, dry and snow.

klammer

Reaction score
I have run KO2's for years (275/60-R20) and have had great results. Only negative is mine have gotten noisy around 25,000 to 30,000 mile mark. That is with regular rotation. Still, I would continue to use them again. With that said, I have been seeing a lot of Falkens lately. Everyone I talk to loves them. Are the Falkens a LT tire? Thay are not marked as LT. Also, does anyone know what ply they are in the 275/60-20 tire?

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I have run KO2's for years (275/60-R20) and have had great results. Only negative is mine have gotten noisy around 25,000 to 30,000 mile mark. That is with regular rotation. Still, I would continue to use them again. With that said, I have been seeing a lot of Falkens lately. Everyone I talk to loves them. Are the Falkens a LT tire? Thay are not marked as LT. Also, does anyone know what ply they are in the 275/60-20 tire?
The non LT are 4ply I believe. From what I see there are 2 different Falkens in that size. The LT in that size would be 8ply. Only thing offered in LT276/65/20r are E rated. I watched a bunch more reviews and I think I am back to getting Falkens. Every review i have watched on the KO2's all reference the noise and then wet pavement traction. Considering I put around 12k on a year I will be running this set of tires for years. Heck I am still on the factory Falken tires on my 2019 and probably can get another 2k miles out of them.

klammer

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with the KO2's until around the 40,000 mile mark. Then they are a bit hard and slippery. By 40,000 miles I am looking for a new set on tires like that. I personally wouldn't want to tow much except a light trailer with 4 ply tires. My KO's are 8 ply and D rated.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with the KO2's until around the 40,000 mile mark. Then they are a bit hard and slippery. By 40,000 miles I am looking for a new set on tires like that. I personally wouldn't want to tow much except a light trailer with 4 ply tires. My KO's are 8 ply and D rated.
Yeah, I am going to E rated. My Camper fully loaded is 8k then I normally have the bed loaded down. I can live with a bit rougher ride empty. To me 4ply would be to light on these trucks. I ran 6 or 8 on my old Tacoma's. 4ply for me is more for cars. If I get in a pinch moneywise I would do the KO2's. Just have to see how the next month plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread