5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire shine applicator..???

Swayze

Reaction score
So I’ve never bothered to put tire shine on a mud tire, but I’ve got a mall crawling grocery getter now a days and decided to spruce up the tires a bit.

using chemical guys VRP and a Walmart foam applicator; the foam didn’t survive all 4 tires!
What do you guru’s use that’s not a single use only???? Or am I a victim of poor technique? CAFC19CA-536B-456F-BBA2-5ABA5328FEE4.jpeg 1E85EA01-C5DE-424C-9BA2-3DB9704CBEDC.jpeg

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I'm interested as well.
Just did my tires with the CG foam applicator and noticed it wont last long.
FYI. I did spray parts of the tire first, then use the foam to dab and spread. Lots of nooks and crannies.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was using Meguiars Hot Shine Spray but recently found a bottle of tire gel in my garage without the applicator. I used a folded microfiber towel with decent results

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was using Meguiars Hot Shine Spray but recently found a bottle of tire gel in my garage without the applicator. I used a folded microfiber towel with decent results
I've used the spray shine and the foam shine...all crap. I have heard good things about the Gel though...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’ve never bothered to put tire shine on a mud tire, but I’ve got a mall crawling grocery getter now a days and decided to spruce up the tires a bit.

using chemical guys VRP and a Walmart foam applicator; the foam didn’t survive all 4 tires!
What do you guru’s use that’s not a single use only???? Or am I a victim of poor technique? View attachment 61174 View attachment 61175
Would a microfiber applicator pad work..?

KRField

Reaction score

antwon412

Reaction score
My dad would pour some into a bowl and use a paint brush

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've used the spray shine and the foam shine...all crap. I have heard good things about the Gel though...
Gel is okay, looks great, but my god.... the sling was everywhere. After some dusty dirt roads it was a real mess. Might have slopped it on too thick. My preference towards spray is how easy it goes on and doesn't fling off, also doesn't attract as much dirt

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Tried gels a long time, numerous brands... Always took too much time/effort to keep from streaking showing wipe marks.

Now I use [below] w/no regrets whatsoever. The spray is super easy/quick & the shine is always uniform w/no streaks-marks. Overspray comes right off whenever u wash. I actually get compliments on tire shine lol.

Anyway, best spray I've found & about same price as a couple sponges/brushes

Screenshot_20200709-102150_Chrome.jpg

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
while aerosol cans are really convenient to use, they're really not too good for your tires and can age them & dry them out over time. Maybe look into tire shine spray bottles that arent aerosol cans:

Stevenc150

Reaction score
while aerosol cans are really convenient to use, they're really not too good for your tires and can age them & dry them out over time. Maybe look into tire shine spray bottles that arent aerosol cans:

I actually never noticed it with the spray I use. And my prev Rebel tires had ~35k on them with no noticeable dmg

stalkerish

Reaction score
I actually never noticed it with the spray I use. And my prev Rebel tires had ~35k on them with no noticeable dmg

Ive always used aerosol (first time on an MT) but it generally does well. HOWEVER, i will NOT be putting this (Hot Shine) back on the TOYOs. It is definitely a true mall crawler vibe. Need something a bit more subtle. The looked like discoballs for 2 days! 20200614_154348.jpg

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use sponge applicators from my local auto parts store (Pep Boys).

The trick is to use a medium touch (heavy enough to apply the product and light enough to not tear up the applicator) and to go 'with the grain' of the sidewall tread. Instead of going in a circle around the wheel I use short strokes vertically (tread to wheel) instead of horizontally (around the circumference of the wheel).

It takes longer but gets in all the nooks and crannies also.

The sidewall tread is aggressive on AT/MT tires for better off-road grip. It also does a good job of tearing up applicators too.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gel is okay, looks great, but my god.... the sling was everywhere. After some dusty dirt roads it was a real mess. Might have slopped it on too thick. My preference towards spray is how easy it goes on and doesn't fling off, also doesn't attract as much dirt
I was told that you should use a sponge type of applicator with the gel stuff... supposedly helps apply the correct amount with one pass ...maybe some truth to that..?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

third paragraph:
https://www.premereautodetail.com/i...he tire dressing comes,are bad for your tires.

There's tons of info out there that specifically states the alcohols and other ingredients in things like meguiar's hot shine and other spray cans can lead to premature sidewall cracking. Sticking to something that's water based is also important.

Maybe you get new tires quick enough to never see the effects of aerosol tire shine, but i'll never be putting a product that has a bunch of harmful stuff in it to my $1,500 set of tires lol

Stevenc150

Reaction score
third paragraph:
https://www.premereautodetail.com/is-armor-all-good-for-my-tires/#:~:text=If the tire dressing comes,are bad for your tires.

There's tons of info out there that specifically states the alcohols and other ingredients in things like meguiar's hot shine and other spray cans can lead to premature sidewall cracking. Sticking to something that's water based is also important.

Maybe you get new tires quick enough to never see the effects of aerosol tire shine, but i'll never be putting a product that has a bunch of harmful stuff in it to my $1,500 set of tires lol
U can find articles to support anything u want on the internet lol. In fact the next google search article after yours says most important thing is that u wash the tire's dressing off frequently...no matter what u use. Another states how modern aerosols & EPA restrictions have virtually nullified premature cracking.

But I digress...all I offer is my 35K mile experience with stock A/T rebel tires; there were 0 negatives as a result of aerosol tire dressing. And it prob does help that I pay monthly so I carwash at least 1-2 times/wk whether it needs it or not

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
U can find articles to support anything u want on the internet lol. In fact the next google search article after yours says most important thing is that u wash the tire's dressing off frequently...no matter what u use. Another states how modern aerosols & EPA restrictions have virtually nullified premature cracking.

But I digress...all I offer is my 35K mile experience with stock A/T rebel tires; there were 0 negatives as a result of aerosol tire dressing. And it prob does help that I pay monthly so I carwash at least 1-2 times/wk whether it needs it or not
yeah i agree with that, gotta love the interwebs. My point i'm attempting to make is that there's tire shines out there geared towards protection of the tire that are water based and have SiO2 in them, and there's others that simply attempt to produce the wettest looking shine possible that have a bunch of bs ingredients in them to achieve that

Users who are viewing this thread