5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Chains

Zmoney

Reaction score
I'm planning to go up in the mountains to get a Christmas tree this year. Even though my Ram has the offroad package, i think it may be smart to haul some chains.

Questions - on the ram, is it recommended to only put chains on the rear tires? If on the rear, can i still use 4wd High or Low?

any chain recommendations?

UKBrad

Reaction score
Curious on the tire chain question myself. Anyone have any recommendations or preferred chains? 20” wheels here.

rconiv

Reaction score
I am curious on the chains also, and why can they only use S Class? It doesn't see there is any type of clearance issue, at least not on my Rebel.

cra1g

Reaction score
I am curious on the chains also, and why can they only use S Class? It doesn't see there is any type of clearance issue, at least not on my Rebel.

Because some joker with air suspension and the tallest factory tires available will inevitably put chains on and drive around in Entry/Exit Mode and scrape something :)

GATORB8

Reaction score
It may just be the safest way for the manufacturers to allow chains but have no liability. Ford's OM also says Class S, Chevy's actually says no chains on a dozen tire sizes. All say rear, probably due to the minimal clearance from tire to upper A arm in full lock in IFS trucks.

Gdbstudios

Reaction score
So, we all agree that the Class S rating and rear only is just for extra precaution? I'm on a standard suspension and can't see chains rubbing on anything in the rear or front for that matter. Especially with a 30mph max speed.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Way back in the "old" days, we ran the chains on the front when up in the deep snow during hunting season". Of course that was in old Power Wagons and Jeeps, but unless it really got bad we seldom ran them all around. That was in mountainous areas of Oregon/Washington Blue mountains. Don't know if these newer trucks would handle that or even if there is sufficient clearances.
I carry a set of "S" chains when I snowbird just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread