5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tip for cleaning headliner water stain

ericd

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I just wanted to post this tip for cleaning the headliner after a water stain. I've been back to the dealer three times for the brake light/Rear glass leak. Each time they've been able to remove the water stain without replacing the headliner which I have been desperately trying to avoid since you have to remove the windshield. Finally on the 3rd time I was able to chat with the upholstery guy and ask him what they do. He said it's way easier than you think.

All they do is soak a rag with regular hydrogen peroxide and scrub the spot. It dried in no time and completely removed the stain.

Just wanted to put that out in case someone wanted to try this before replacing the headliner.

Before.jpg After.jpg

My1stHemi

Reaction score
@ 20,000miles mine just started leaking and staining. Thanks for the tip. I may try to fix the seal on my brake light rather than lose my truck for days while the dealer makes the repair. Good to know about the windshield removal as well.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
How timely ... And thanks for posting! My 2019 leaked for the first time yesterday while sitting outside in Tropical Storm Beta. It looks to be 3rd brake light, which I can fix myself. But any stain on the headliner would drive me bonkers. My wife says I should take it to the dealer since it's Warranty, but I don't need that back and forth right now. I'll try it myself first. Cheers, Mike M

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I removed my 3rd brake light last night and couldn't really tell where the water was entering. I see some dried water drops where they shouldn't be... What are people using to replace the gasket? This one seemed fine at first inspection.
IMG_4870.JPG

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed my 3rd brake light last night and couldn't really tell where the water was entering. I see some dried water drops where they shouldn't be... What are people using to replace the gasket? This one seemed fine at first inspection.
View attachment 69441
If there are any droplets or signs of droplets anywhere on the inside of the lens, the gasket is leaking. This is usually confirmed by noticing headliner stains in the far corners only. Look closely. Sometimes you'll see droplets in the lamp towers. If in doubt, place a folded piece of paper towel directly under the opening in the roof for the lens. Reassemble the lamp assembly and retest for leaks.

It's possible that water is passing by the heads of the mounting screws. Newer builds have a black plastic washer under the head of each screw. The washers may not be sealing correctly. Also, look for a crack in the lens itself, usually found under or near the mounting screws.

It is possible the leak is caused by a poor seal at the shark antenna, but I've yet to see or hear of one.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 040322 miles.

ericd

Reaction score
View attachment 69441
So what's happening is that light foam seal eventually gets saturated with water during a heavy storm and then it starts leaking. It's like a sponge and just absorbs water. So if you look at it partially dry it'll look fine. So if they replace the brake light you'll still have the same problem cause they're just putting back the same seal. After the 3rd time I just put a better seal on and it fixed it first try.

This is what I got. Worked like a charm

ericd

Reaction score
@ 20,000miles mine just started leaking and staining. Thanks for the tip. I may try to fix the seal on my brake light rather than lose my truck for days while the dealer makes the repair. Good to know about the windshield removal as well.

Here's what you'll need.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why they use that crappy foam is a total mystery, how much money are they saving? Be careful when putting the brake light back on. I tightened the screws back to what I thought was OEM spec and they looked fine, for a day. Next day I checked my handy work to see cracks had formed around all 4 screws

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a replacement 3rd light, and the gasket is not foam. It's more of a soft rubber. Definitely not porous though. I'm planning to pull mine and compare the gaskets. I have a black headliner, so stains would be very difficult to see. I haven't found any signs of leaks, but I park in the garage. And I haven't driven this truck in any heavy rain since February. It's been a very dry summer here LOL.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My truck is going in Wednesday for the driveline clunk and I asked that they repair this issue as well. My service rep was well aware of this issue and all the possible sources for the water to enter the cab. I agree that the original gasket material seems far too porous.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Big thanks again to those who posted useful info on this thread. I've repaired mine now ... And will say this >

- The tip about hydrogen peroxide to remove the water stains on the headliner - Amazing! Voila, it's gone.
- The M-D product mentioned is spot on. Great quality, easy to use. The work is in stripping off OEM junk.
- While there, I also ran a bead of silicone around the brake / cargo light, plus did the shark fin just in case.

Bring on that next hurricane. Okay, skip that. I'll test with a water hose, brag to my wife and two kids. Done!

Cheers, Mike

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone made their own gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post #7 is what forum members have been replacing the OEM seal with. It is available at both Home Depot, Lowe's and I'm sure other places, although it may not be the same brand. Taking off the existing seal I found was a little tedious but not difficult.

K1135

Reaction score
is there a gasket material that is like a size of a sheet of paper but thick like the M-D material where you can trace the pattern an cut it? that would be great if someone found something like that.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I just wanted to post this tip for cleaning the headliner after a water stain. I've been back to the dealer three times for the brake light/Rear glass leak. Each time they've been able to remove the water stain without replacing the headliner which I have been desperately trying to avoid since you have to remove the windshield. Finally on the 3rd time I was able to chat with the upholstery guy and ask him what they do. He said it's way easier than you think.

All they do is soak a rag with regular hydrogen peroxide and scrub the spot. It dried in no time and completely removed the stain.

Just wanted to put that out in case someone wanted to try this before replacing the headliner.

View attachment 58247 View attachment 58248
Great tips. Thanks for sharing!

pbclax1

Reaction score
So what's happening is that light foam seal eventually gets saturated with water during a heavy storm and then it starts leaking. It's like a sponge and just absorbs water. So if you look at it partially dry it'll look fine. So if they replace the brake light you'll still have the same problem cause they're just putting back the same seal. After the 3rd time I just put a better seal on and it fixed it first try.

This is what I got. Worked like a charm

when you guys reinstalled the third brake light was this stuff tougher to push down to seat the light? How tight did you do the screws? Just til they stopped turning and felt like they bottomed out?

ericd

Reaction score
when you guys reinstalled the third brake light was this stuff tougher to push down to seat the light? How tight did you do the screws? Just til they stopped turning and felt like they bottomed out?
it wasn't any tougher for me to seat the light cause it's about the same thickness. Make sure you remove the old seal first. And be very careful when tightening the screws. The light will crack very easy if you make them too tight. It's not gonna feel like a super tight fit when tightening the screws

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Previous post is correct. The M-D gasket that others recommended works like a charm ... Super easy to put on the light housing, one continuous run including going around the corners. It's easy to reinstall the housing, and I too stopped as the screws were tight enough. No need to crank down on them. Removing the old gasket is the only time-consuming part, but needs to be done correctly to make the repair effective. You all enjoy your day - And please stay safe out there.

Users who are viewing this thread