5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timbren SES Install

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After renting a 2015 Forest River Surveyor with a 500 lbs. It squashed the back end of the truck more than I wanted or preferred. My wife and I are planning another trip in the fall so I decided after doing some research to go with the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (DR1500DQ).

I like the concept that it does not affect your factory ride until you have a load.
I did not feel any difference on my commute this morning until I went over I speed bump and then I felt the solid thump when it deployed.

The install was easier than I thought and only took me about 15 minutes once I had everything setup.

I used my 3 ton floor jack with a 4x4 post to lift up the backend of the truck.
Jack_Wood.png
Patriot_Lifted.png
I lifted the truck until the tires were just about to lift off the ground.

The old bump stops came out by hand. I just crawled under the truck and popped them out.
Put a little water on the Timbren's and twisted them into place applying pressure upwards at while you twist.
DR1500DQ.png
Once I had the Timbren's in the holder I placed some scrap 2x4 underneath them and lowered the jack onto the 2x4's.
I had to place the smaller 2x4 underneath the drivers side.
After the jack was lowered, I stood on the rear bumper and bounced a couple of times to make sure that they were seated good.
Tibren_Installed.png
Install_Pressure.png
TimbrenSES_Installed.png
Jack the truck back up and remove the 2x4 and your done with the install. (y)

Looking forward to my next RV adventure with these installed. I will post some pictures of my last tow compared to this one. :unsure:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to add, since I drive on mountain roads in the North Georgia Mountains that I have noticed less body roll in the curves and seems to have planted the rear end even more. (y)

I also have the Hellwig sway bar installed. 🔱 (Which made a tremendous difference in body roll)

The Timbrens SES have kicked that up a notch. (y):cool:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rented an Imagine Model: 2021 Grand Design 2250RKS last week for my wife and I 20th Anniversary. Went to Blue Springs State Park in Orange Park Florida to swim with the manatees, unfortunately, the the spring and spring run were closed to swimming due to construction work to provide a better habitat for the manatees and a safer environment for visitors.

The Imagine was 5500 lbs. unloaded with empty tanks however the fresh water 30 gallon tank was filled when I picked it up adding an additional 250 lbs. The hitch weight is rated at 515 lbs. from the manufacturer and the trailer length is 28 ft.

So, the trailer hitch weight and length was comparable to the 2015 Forest River Surveyor with a 500 lbs. that I had rented previously before installing the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System.

The truck stayed pretty level with the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System and the confidence in towing was night & day. The truck handled and pulled much better especially when going over bridges and overpasses that would rock the truck and trailer.

I would highly recommend this setup for those who are wanting a lower cost solution without having to purchase and airbag system. I have been pleased with this purchase. (y)

imagine.png
imagine_Lisa.png

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have a reason to choose timbrens over sumosprings? Just looking for feedback; I used sumosprimgs on my last truck.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have a reason to choose timbrens over sumosprings? Just looking for feedback; I used sumosprimgs on my last truck.
Timbren and SumoSprings both have a unique approach to a fixed load support solution. Timbren using rubber and SumoSprings using urethane. Both materials are very durable and will provide load support for many years but because of the different densities they are better suited for different usages.

Timbren SES is a great choice for a heavy hauler that desires a maintenance free suspension upgrade. On front applications with a large snow plow or a rear application with heavy 5th wheel or RV Tow Trailer the Timbren SES will really shine. This is why I went this route.

SumoSprings have a wide variety of applications and are a good choice when a balance of weight support and comfort are desired. They are a great option for a softer front axle bump stop replacement as well as rear axle applications that may call for extra sway control. In most cases SumoSprings are preferred for use on motorhome applications due to the lower density of the material. A lower material density will mean a lower carrying capacity but also a softer ride which is preferred on a motorhome which will see many miles and long trips.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sumo Springs sit much taller, on my truck I had 1/4 inch air gap which means your unloaded ride quality will change. I had them and pulled them off again as I saw no point in driving what felt was like a 2500, without any of the actual advantages of one.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sumo Springs sit much taller, on my truck I had 1/4 inch air gap which means your unloaded ride quality will change. I had them and pulled them off again as I saw no point in driving what felt was like a 2500, without any of the actual advantages of one.
That is another advantage of the Timbren SES, I have about an inch of travel before they deploy so the truck has factory suspension ride until you have a load on the truck or you go over some substantial dips in the road or go over speed bumps.

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
Love mine for towing, but I do remove them inbetween tows. My regular ride quality significantly decreased when they remained installed. Pretty quick setup, I hook up our trailer, lift the rear, remove OEM bump stops, install Timbrens, then lower trailer and go! Less than 5 minutes total

german88

Reaction score
Installed a set of Timbrens for towing my boat. No difference in unloaded ride quality for me. I also haul 2-3 off road motorcycles in the bed so I'm curious to see if the Timbrens make contact with the stop plates when loaded but haven't had time to find out.

fishslayer

Reaction score
highly recomend the Timbren SES .... I used the Timbren SES on my 17 crew Hemi with excellent results, and now on my new 21 Crew E-Torque Hemi .. I tow several different heavy trailers and camper and boats .. The heaviest being a 7 Yard hyd. Dump that weighs aprox 12,000 # loaded with 1200-1400 # TW.. Timbren works beautifully.. .. By the way, the HEMI E-Torque 's low end power to get you started is fantastic.. I love this truck..

Users who are viewing this thread