5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timber Grove bags, do i also need the weight distribution hitch?

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I am going to look at a new toy hauler tomorrow. Its a Forest River Grey Wolf 22RR. I already installed the air bags and in the box there was a notice about not really needing a weight distribution hitch. This toy hauler is 4871 lbs dry and GVWR 7686. Most i will haul is my 500lb 4 wheeler. I made sure i got my Big Horn with the 11,000 lb ability. I figure i need the anti-sway, but i wasn't sure if it would be wise to go with a weight distribution hitch as well? Any thoughs?

jermball623

Reaction score
I would say it wouldn't hurt. The anti sway abilities of most hitches will help out a lot on a windy day. Or when semis pass by and such. I pulled mine with just bags, not the timber groves. But after 60 it was pretty uncomfortable. Drive it home from the dealer without and if you feel you dont need it then dont get it. Or load it up when you get it home and take it for another test run.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Thanks, I did some more general googling and that was what i was leaning towards. Might not get the super fancy model of hitch, but I will do one. Thanks!

Bigdaveincali

Reaction score
Thanks, I did some more general googling and that was what i was leaning towards. Might not get the super fancy model of hitch, but I will do one. Thanks!
Get an E2 hitch. 2nd strongest hitch on the market. Do not get anything with chains.

Bigdaveincali

Reaction score
That one is fine. But you make take a look at the E2 trunnions. It’s a little more, but the bar is longer, and easier to take on and off.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Nope, i was just going to go with what the RV place had, but it was over 600. Didn't want to spend that much since i had the bags. Super helpful. Thank you!

jermball623

Reaction score
I've got the husky centerline ts rated for 1200 and it deals with my 32 1/2 footer really well. Just another suggestion for one with bars.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a husky centerline that I just installed and set-up Friday and pulled my 32' camper ~250 miles. It is definitely a big improvement over not having sway control, obviously.
One thing I will say, is that I was afraid of having to get LT tires when I got the camper...However, after adding the weight distribution hitch it makes the truck feel more planted overall and took out a lot of the sway that I was feeling from the tires. Don't get me wrong, passing vehicles and semi's will still make the truck and trailer sway a bit, but it is much more comfortable now.

Users who are viewing this thread