5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise during Idle

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Just this week after I decided to change over to 89 Octane from 87 I noticed a ticking noise start on the engine during idle once it is warmed up. It is not a constant noise, but every few seconds. I cannot hear it at any other time during driving or starting so hoping this is nothing to worry about as I have heard about the Hemi being famous for ticking noises.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Ok, that does put me more at ease knowing its a trait and not a problem. So far I'm loving this truck.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Be careful not to mistake that ticking with the evap surge activating and deactivating. Its easily mistaken for a tick.

Its a pump that goes on, and then off, purging gas vapors. Easily heard at idle if you have no tunes on. Even easier to hear if you pop the hood. Its periodic, and depending on temp, and other condirions that affect vapor and fumes, could come on and off every 15 seconds, or every few minutes.

It pumps when ur driving too, but you will never feel or hear it during that.

Easy test would involve a obd scanner, read live data for the evap purge solenoid, it provides a pressure reading. Either 0 or 100 percent pressure. Quick numbers in between while it changes from one to the other, usually.

If those numbers change consistently with when you hear the noise, then its evap.

And normal.

Cannonball

Reaction score
It's your lifters. Goes away or at least diminishes once oil is slung up to the highest point in the engine after startup. Check your oil level, it's often the first sign of low(er) oil. I've had ram for 10 years and they always tick but def better after an oil change.

My 5th gen ticks pretty noticeably just before going back into 8 cylinder mode when the engine load is increasing. I'm hoping after the first oil change it goes away.

Borderc21

Reaction score
It's your lifters. Goes away or at least diminishes once oil is slung up to the highest point in the engine after startup. Check your oil level, it's often the first sign of low(er) oil. I've had ram for 10 years and they always tick but def better after an oil change.

My 5th gen ticks pretty noticeably just before going back into 8 cylinder mode when the engine load is increasing. I'm hoping after the first oil change it goes away.
@Cannonball I am glad you mentioned the word "slung". I just ordered a 2020 6.4 2500 and was told by a friend to avoid long periods of time with the engine at idle. He said that the longer you sit idle the more that "slung" oil and lubricants drain down the engine and causes it to start ticking. In theory this means that the oil and lubricants have drained away from the very components they are meant to protect.

Any experience with this during long idles?

Users who are viewing this thread