5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Really the Right Way To Determine Max Payload and Towing Weight?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Lots of posts here about the conventional analysis which is limited by the payload rating. Some as low as 1090 lb.

In another thread, I tore into the need for a 3.92 axle ratio when the rest of the truck is the same and the 8-speed transmission with 3.21 gears provides more torque multiplication than the old 6-speed with a 4.10 ratio (15.1 vs 12.3).

In browsing the Internet I found two themes: the sum of the front and rear GAWR is more important than the GVW and the capacity of the rear axle is both under-rated and limited by the tire's capacity, which is easily, and on this forum often, changed.

For this discussion, I will use numbers from a 5.7 Hemi eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab with 5-7 box and sticker payload of 1150 lb, mid-range for a Limited. Some people are nearly 100lb less, Some 300 lb more. GVW is 7100, front GAWR is 3900, rear GAWR is 4100. and as indicated in the sticker, curb weight is 5950. Further, that weight is 3450 front, 2500 rear. I will use tires the OE 20" size of 275/55-20 SL 113T which have an OE pressure of 36psi. At that pressure, they have a rated load capacity of 2535. However, metric loads don't have the LT safety margin and need to be divided by 1.1 resulting in 2305.

Further, we will assume the truck has either the OE 4-corner air suspension, an Air Lift spring added to the back, or has changed the rear steel spring to one capable of handling the load.

Add the two GAWR and the axles have a capacity of 8000. With a weight distributing hitch there is a fair amount of latitude in balancing the weight front to back. 7100-5950 is 1150. 8000-5950 is 2050.

There is some significant margin built into the ratings for the axles. At 2305 lb each, the two rear tires have a combined capacity of 4605. Allow for some production variation, inaccuracies in tire pressure gauges, and normal variation from temperature changes and leakage and it is clear that is the limiting factor. An LT275/55-20 Load Range E is 3085 at 80psi. That is 33% increase. Larger sizes that fit: LT275/60 (3415), 295/55(3415), 305/55 (3640, but really should have a +12 instead of +19 wheel) up to 295/65 (4080, but at 35" diameter should be in a steel spring car with a 1.5+" level kit or Bilstein 5100 shocks adjusted for 1.5" or greater).

Can the axle safely handle a 6000 load? Not on the OEM Springs! However, with the correct springs (as mentioned in the assumptions) and LT tires, could 4800 or 5000 be a more realistic rear GAWR?

That payload would be equivalent to an F-150 with Max Payload package. With that package, the F-150 gets LT tires (275/55-20 or equivalent 18" size), stiffer springs, 3,73 electrically locking rear, and a larger diameter ring gear. The Ram Max Towing only on a 2wd quad cab Tradesman/Big Horn also has a larger diameter ring gear. The axle housing (that carries the load) and the brakes are unchanged.

Do both and the assumed usable GVW is 8900 and the payload is 2950.

The GCWR if the Ram is 17,000. A 10k trailer with 15% tongue weight and 1000lb crew and cargo would have a vehicle weight of 8450 and a total weight of 16,950. Pretty much what buyers were expecting.

Remember, this analysis is predicated on using an LT Load Range E tire and having either an OE air suspension or Air Lift supplemental air spring in the rear. I strongly recommend a Hensley or ProPride hitch. These are 4-bar linkages that create a virtual fifth wheel dramatically increasing stability. Taking the truck out to the GCVW limit should demand it. Another option is an actual fifth-wheel trailer since the higher payload makes that possible. Ford lists F150 specs for a fifth-wheel trailer.

Now please tear my analysis apart!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Updates:

1) There is an SAE standard for GCVW: J2807. First used on Toyotas, it is now widely used. It is the reason the 3.21 axle ratio is marked down on GCVW. However, I haven't found an equivalent for payload and many manufacturer's don't publish their GVWR with their trailer specs.

2) The 6x5.5 wheels have load capacities typically of 2200 lb to 2500 lb. 8-lug wheels have load capacities over 3000 lb. Net, this means 4400 lb to 5000 lb will be the max rear GAWR. It came up in a Ford Forum where the Heavy Duty Payload package has a 4800 lb GAWR but the wheels had 2200 lb load rating (special Heavy Duty Package wheel) https://www.f150forum.com/f82/heavy-duty-payload-oem-wheels-397577/

3) The factory air suspension has an overload state. Owners have found it to be somewhere around 2000 lb payload, although those tests put the load entirely in the bed.

4) There are several designs for air springs. Some go inside the coil spring, at least one replaces the coil spring, the others replace the jounce bumper inside of the coil spring. Of the last, some require cutting the jounce bumper mount and others don't.

5) In the original post, I indicated the Ram Max Tow package changed the differential ring gear size. I haven't found any reference to that when looking. Ford does change its ring gear size from 8.8" to 9.75" with an HD 9.75". Corrected below

Update 2:

Item 5 in update 5 was wrong. It does include a 10" differential ($2000 to buy the parts). Don't know if the housing or axles are different. Is there a website that has a complete and accurate parts list? The sites I've found always seem incomplete.

Update 2a:

It is a 9.75" Dana 60 with an open rear, and it is only the center section. In heavy-duty towing getting the load moving from rest is important. The standard has 7 starts on a 12% grade in 5 minutes. It is max combined vehicle weight rather than a payload issue. For me and I presume for most here, the GCVW is more than adequate. The issue is the tongue weight, cabin passengers, and bed cargo.

Last edited:

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Note...if the truck is used for commercial purposes and the GCWR is above 10,000 lb, it is subject to federal regulations.

Also, apparently 'in the old days' GVWR was just the sum of front + rear GAWR.

Johnvan

Reaction score
That's the tricky thing about choosing a trailer and WDH. It's impossible to really know what the rear axle weight will be until you hook up the trailer and set up the WDH.
I think it would be possible to have a family of four on board with some stuff in the bed and still be below the rear axle limit with a trailer nearing 10,000 gvwr. I certainly wouldn't shop for one in that weight range because things would have to be set up perfectly.
Mine tows great and I'm over the GVWR by several hundred pounds. Last year I went to a CAT scale and was over by almost 200 lbs but below the axle limits. This year I added 160 lbs worth of kayaks on a ladder rack. I've towed that setup for 700 miles and it's perfect.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of posts here about the conventional analysis which is limited by the payload rating. Some as low as 1090 lb.

In another thread, I tore into the need for a 3.92 axle ratio when the rest of the truck is the same and the 8-speed transmission with 3.21 gears provides more torque multiplication than the old 6-speed with a 4.10 ratio (15.1 vs 12.3).

In browsing the Internet I found two themes: the sum of the front and rear GAWR is more important than the GVW and the capacity of the rear axle is both under-rated and limited by the tire's capacity, which is easily, and on this forum often, changed.

For this discussion, I will use numbers from a 5.7 Hemi eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab with 5-7 box and sticker payload of 1150 lb, mid-range for a Limited. Some people are nearly 100lb less, Some 300 lb more. GVW is 7100, front GAWR is 3900, rear GAWR is 4100. and as indicated in the sticker, curb weight is 5950. Further, that weight is 3450 front, 2500 rear. I will use tires the OE 20" size of 275/55-20 SL 113T which have an OE pressure of 36psi. At that pressure, they have a rated load capacity of 2535. However, metric loads don't have the LT safety margin and need to be divided by 1.1 resulting in 2305.

Further, we will assume the truck has either the OE 4-corner air suspension, an Air Lift spring added to the back, or has changed the rear steel spring to one capable of handling the load.

Add the two GAWR and the axles have a capacity of 8000. With a weight distributing hitch there is a fair amount of latitude in balancing the weight front to back. 7100-5950 is 1150. 8000-5950 is 2050.

There is some significant margin built into the ratings for the axles. At 2305 lb each, the two rear tires have a combined capacity of 4605. Allow for some production variation, inaccuracies in tire pressure gauges, and normal variation from temperature changes and leakage and it is clear that is the limiting factor. An LT275/55-20 Load Range E is 3085 at 80psi. That is 33% increase. Larger sizes that fit: LT275/60 (3415), 295/55(3415), 305/55 (3640, but really should have a +12 instead of +19 wheel) up to 295/65 (4080, but at 35" diameter should be in a steel spring car with a 1.5+" level kit or Bilstein 5100 shocks adjusted for 1.5" or greater).

Can the axle safely handle a 6000 load? Not on the OEM Springs! However, with the correct springs (as mentioned in the assumptions) and LT tires, could 4800 or 5000 be a more realistic rear GAWR?

That payload would be equivalent to an F-150 with Max Payload package. With that package, the F-150 gets LT tires (275/55-20 or equivalent 18" size), stiffer springs, 3,73 electrically locking rear, and a larger diameter ring gear. The Ram Max Towing only on a 2wd quad cab Tradesman/Big Horn also has a larger diameter ring gear. The axle housing (that carries the load) and the brakes are unchanged.

The GCWR if the Ram is 17,000. A 10k trailer with 15% tongue weight and 1000lb crew and cargo would have a vehicle weight of 8450 and a total weight of 16,950. Pretty much what buyers were expecting.

Remember, this analysis is predicated on using an LT Load Range E tire and having either an OE air suspension or Air Lift supplemental air spring in the rear. I strongly recommend a Hensley or ProPride hitch. These are 4-bar linkages that create a virtual fifth wheel dramatically increasing stability. Taking the truck out to the GCVW limit should demand it. Another option is an actual fifth-wheel trailer since the higher payload makes that possible. Ford lists F150 specs for a fifth-wheel trailer.

I've not seen a Limited with a payload of less than 1141 lb, IIRC. Your payload numbers may be just a bit conservative for that particular trim. But the rest of your analysis appears to focus on Rams configured for "real" towing, not Limiteds or Longhorns ;)

2wd

Reaction score
Nice writeup - I think you need to ditch the factory air suspension for this purpose however. If I recall, it throws a code and shuts down if it detects truck is over stickered payload.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Nice writeup - I think you need to ditch the factory air suspension for this purpose however. If I recall, it throws a code and shuts down if it detects truck is over stickered payload.
I haven't had a code yet. I was worried about that but no problems yet. Air suspension works perfectly so far.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I've not seen a Limited with a payload of less than 1141 lb, IIRC. Your payload numbers may be just a bit conservative for that particular trim. But the rest of your analysis appears to focus on Rams configured for "real" towing, not Limiteds or Longhorns ;)

There is another thread I started yesterday where one poster had a payload under 1100. RamBox, Panoramic
Sunroof, 33-gallon tank (the fuel alone is 60lb) and Off-Road Group all add weight.

I was thinking of any Ram, and I am interested in a fully-loaded Limited. However, I'm beginning to think a steel suspension with a 1.5"level kit in front and Air Ride supplemental air spring in the back may be a better towing combination.

That's the tricky thing about choosing a trailer and WDH. It's impossible to really know what the rear axle weight will be until you hook up the trailer and set up the WDH.
I think it would be possible to have a family of four on board with some stuff in the bed and still be below the rear axle limit with a trailer nearing 10,000 GVWR. I certainly wouldn't shop for one in that weight range because things would have to be set up perfectly.
Mine tows great and I'm over the GVWR by several hundred pounds. Last year I went to a CAT scale and was over by almost 200 lbs but below the axle limits. This year I added 160 lbs worth of kayaks on a ladder rack. I've towed that setup for 700 miles and it's perfect.

You are proving the point. However, the WDH has quite a range of adjustment, although if too stiff it creates problems. The key here is as you found the GVWR is a bit arbitrary if the load is well controlled. However, the rear axle GAWR is also apparently tire and spring dependent. It is common on some trucks to list multiple GAWR ratings, each with its own tire size and air pressure.

What I don't know is the pressure range for the OE 4-corner air suspension. I have no doubt the Air Lift system can take 1000+ pounds of the load off the springs. However, at one point does the QE system run out of steam? The Air Lift requires setting everything manually, the OE system uses sensors.

Nice writeup - I think you need to ditch the factory air suspension for this purpose, however. If I recall, it throws a code and shuts down if it detects truck is over stickered payload.

Well...it turns out there was a thread here about that and on another forum. It seems the limit is around 2000 lb, maybe a bit over. That would make 8000lb when it cuts out. Enough to handle a 10k trailer (an arbitrary number but good for a steel car hauler) with 10%-12% hitch but not 15%.

There are also threads on liability. For non-commercial under 26k GCVW and commercial under 10k lb, there doesn't seem to be any legal liability. Obvious reckless driving—wandering, front wheels up in the air—are another matter.

If in an accident, will negligence apply and what will the insurance company cover? There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on overload in any policy, however, if you knowingly overloaded, have deep pockets, and caused damage...there are lots of lawyers out there. Most of the time the other lawyer wants a settlement to get their money...they aren't looking for a long process on contingency with a modest pot of gold at best and a lump of coal always possible.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is another thread I started yesterday where one poster had a payload under 1100. RamBox, Panoramic
Sunroof, 33-gallon tank (the fuel alone is 60lb) and Off-Road Group all add weight.

I was thinking of any Ram, and I am interested in a fully-loaded Limited. However, I'm beginning to think a steel suspension with a 1.5"level kit in front and Air Ride supplemental air spring in the back may be a better towing combination.

You are proving the point. However, the WDH has quite a range of adjustment, although if too stiff it creates problems. The key here is as you found the GVWR is a bit arbitrary if the load is well controlled. However, the rear axle GAWR is also apparently tire and spring dependent. It is common on some trucks to list multiple GAWR ratings, each with its own tire size and air pressure.

What I don't know is the pressure range for the OE 4-corner air suspension. I have no doubt the Air Lift system can take 1000+ pounds of the load off the springs. However, at one point does the QE system run out of steam? The Air Lift requires setting everything manually, the OE system uses sensors.

Well...it turns out there was a thread here about that and on another forum. It seems the limit is around 2000 lb, maybe a bit over. That would make 8000lb when it cuts out. Enough to handle a 10k trailer (an arbitrary number but good for a steel car hauler) with 10%-12% hitch but not 15%.

There are also threads on liability. For non-commercial under 26k GCVW and commercial under 10k lb, there doesn't seem to be any legal liability. Obvious reckless driving—wandering, front wheels up in the air—are another matter.

If in an accident, will negligence apply and what will the insurance company cover? There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on overload in any policy, however, if you knowingly overloaded, have deep pockets, and caused damage...there are lots of lawyers out there. Most of the time the other lawyer wants a settlement to get their money...they aren't looking for a long process on contingency with a modest pot of gold at best and a lump of coal always possible.
I’m well aware, as I’m the only member with a payload under 1,100 lb (1,069 lb). I have a Longhorn.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Update since the first post:

1) There is an SAE standard for GCVW: J2807. First used on Toyotas, it is now widely used. It is the reason the 3.21 axle ratio is marked down on GCVW. However, I haven't found an equivalent for payload and many manufacturer's don't publish their GVWR with their trailer specs.

2) The 6x5.5 wheels have load capacities typically of 2200 lb to 2500 lb. 8-lug wheels have load capacities over 3000 lb. Net, this means 4400 lb to 5000 lb will be the max rear GAWR. It came up in a Ford Forum where the Heavy Duty Payload package has a 4800 lb GAWR but the wheels had 2200 lb load rating (special Heavy Duty Package wheel) https://www.f150forum.com/f82/heavy-duty-payload-oem-wheels-397577/

3) The factory air suspension has an overload state. Owners have found it to be somewhere around 2000 lb payload, although those tests put the load entirely in the bed.

4) There are several designs for air springs. Some go inside the coil spring, at least one replaces the coil spring, the others replace the jounce bumper inside of the coil spring. Of the last, some require cutting the jounce bumper mount and others don't.

5) In the original post, I indicated the Ram Max Tow package changed the differential ring gear size. I haven't found any reference to that when looking. Ford does change its ring gear size from 8.8" to 9.75" with an HD 9.75".

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Another update on the Max Towing rear axle. This from Truck Trends when it was announced:

The Max Tow Package features a Dana Super 60 rear axle center section, 3.92:1 gear ratio, 10-inch ring gear, and 35-spline axle shafts. Sorry folks, this axle is only available with an open differential and only on 4x2 models. We’ll keep dreaming of a Super 60 Rebel option, for now.

I have no idea why they felt they needed an extra 1" larger ring gear size. If they thought it was a failure point a change in metallurgy, surface finishing, and cryogenic treatment should have been able to close the gap. All common racing stuff.

What is interesting is they didn't change the axle tubes that carry the load from the springs to the axle shaft outer bearings. Which means it wouldn't have been affected by the weight of the load leaving the wheels (2250lb -2500lb load depending on the wheel) or the tires as the limiting factor.

rick_od

Reaction score
New to the forum
Great subject.
Would wheel/tire size affect the overall towing capabilities? You touched on the limits on the tire but what about the wheels? Is there any load limit difference between the offered 18", 20", or 22" wheels?
And as a side question, how do these different wheel/tire sizes affect the towing characteristics, specificially ride quality while towing?
Thanks!

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Would wheel/tire size affect the overall towing capabilities? You touched on the limits on the tire but what about the wheels? Is there any load limit difference between the offered 18", 20", or 22" wheels?
And as a side question, how do these different wheel/tire sizes affect the towing characteristics, specifically ride quality while towing?

Both questions that have been endlessly debated on many forums. That is a good indication that there are many other factors. Similarly, there are not even enough binary comparisons (owner switched from tire A to tire B and it was better/worse, etc.) to make any decent evaluations, especially as the tire models themselves keep evolving. Further, duallies come with tall narrow tires since they have to fit next each other in a wheelwell that is with constrained. On the Ram 3500 DRW they are 285/80-17. By Yukon 2500 with an 8600 GVRW had 265/75-17. The 4500/5500 series trucks often come with 225/75-19.5 tires. Load Range G. Again, they are duallies. All are around 32" OD. The big jump would be to one of the better Load Range E LT tires. Beyond that, the differences are probably small.

Less height in the sidewall would mean a higher chance the heavily load wheel is also damaged when there is a flat. BMW was an early adopter of runflat tires and often used very low profile tires. There are many stories of BMW owners having to leave there cars far away from home while the local dealer waited for a replacement wheel and tire to be sent. Ditto Porsche drivers where the cars come with an inflation kit. But those don't have spares.

Many people consider availability an issue in tire size selection. When the truck has a flat/torn sidewall/etc. in the middle-of-nowhere-USA how long can you weight for a replacement tire? The OE 20" 275/55-20 size is much more common than, say, a 34" 275/65-20 size, although the latter may tow better and would definitely be better off-road.

I haven't been able to obtain load ratings for OE Ram wheels. Third parties often list them. If you can find out, please post.

Note that OD differences aren't really a performance issue with 8+ speed transmissions. They have an around a 4.7 first gear compared to a 3.0-3.3 in the older 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions. A 3.20 ratio with a new trans is the same as a 4.56 ratio in the old trans.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Lower profile tires will have less side roll. Choose 20 , or 22 inch rims vs 18.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Lower profile tires will have less side roll. Choose 20 , or 22 inch rims vs 18.

Don't think it works that way...the HD models come with 75-85 series tires....and 17" rims. A Ram 1500 problem is aftermarket 18" rims don't clear the front brake caliper. 17" rims are impossible.

slimchance

Reaction score
Don't think it works that way...the HD models come with 75-85 series tires....and 17" rims. A Ram 1500 problem is aftermarket 18" rims don't clear the front brake caliper. 17" rims are impossible.
really .... i have a 2019 Ram 2500 HD, checked my build sheet to be sure .... my tires are LT285/60R20E OWL On/Off–Road Tires ... i have noticed other statements here that my 2500 HD specs do not agree with ... it is easy to make generalities but sometimes harder to match it up in the real world

DavidNJ

Reaction score
really .... i have a 2019 Ram 2500 HD, checked my build sheet to be sure .... my tires are LT285/60R20E OWL On/Off–Road Tires ... i have noticed other statements here that my 2500 HD specs do not agree with ... it is easy to make generalities but sometimes harder to match it up in the real world

That is an optional size...standard is 275/70-18 on both the 2500 and 3500 SRW. The Power Wagon comes with 285/70-17 and the 3500 DRW comes with 235/80-17.

On a related note, these are the specs from my long gone and now sorely missed Yukon XL 2500:

Exterior Length219.3 "
Exterior Width78.8 "
Exterior Height77.1 "
Wheelbase130 "
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating8,600 lbs.
Curb Weight5,769 lbs.
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating4,180 lbs.
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating6,000 lbs.
Payload2,914 lbs.
Max Trailer Weight10,100 lbs.

That was was with 8-lug wheels. I'm pretty sure that is the spec everyone wants. There was a Chevy pickup version called the 1500HD with similar specs. In my ignorance at the time I didn't realize that it was a unique spec and not something that would always exist.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Updates:

5) In the original post, I indicated the Ram Max Tow package changed the differential ring gear size. I haven't found any reference to that when looking. Ford does change its ring gear size from 8.8" to 9.75" with an HD 9.75". Corrected below

Update 2:

Item 5 in update 5 was wrong. It does include a 10" differential ($2000 to buy the parts). Don't know if the housing or axles are different. Is there a website that has a complete and accurate parts list? The sites I've found always seem incomplete.

Update 2a:

It is a 9.75" Dana 60 with an open rear, and it is only the center section. In heavy-duty towing getting the load moving from rest is important. The standard has 7 starts on a 12% grade in 5 minutes. It is max combined vehicle weight rather than a payload issue. For me and I presume for most here, the GCVW is more than adequate. The issue is the tongue weight, cabin passengers, and bed cargo.
Awesome analysis, my only question is what about the frame? Apparently Ford has a slightly thicker frame on its max payload F-150’s. My big horn has a decent 1546 pound payload but for what I want to do ( camper with 4 people and gear in truck ) if I could safely operate with a 7500-8000GVWR I would be much happier. I will be adding a stronger rear sway bar and the Airlift 1000HD springs for the added payload. My non-LT tires have the load capacity for over 5000 but I’ll probably try to keep the rear axle weight under 4500 pounds. Is there any concern with the frame? Mines a crew cab 6’ 4 Bed so long wheelbase.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome analysis, my only question is what about the frame? Apparently Ford has a slightly thicker frame on its max payload F-150’s.

Ford makes max towing confusing.

F-150 has three different frames with various thickness, which have various GVWR ratings. (Pre-2022)

LD: 0.087”
HD: 0.10”
HDPP: 0.11”

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
Other than the Payload limitations, if you are worried about weights at the levels being thrown around in this thread, shouldn't you be looking at 2500's and 3500's?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Other than the Payload limitations, if you are worried about weights at the levels being thrown around in this thread, shouldn't you be looking at 2500's and 3500's?

I always like to say: if you need a calculator to see if you're still within bounds on your truck, then your truck isn't big enough. My personal limit is 8000 pounds and < 25 feet for a 1500 regardless of specs, many will feel that is far too conservative but they make 2500's for a reason. If it's a one time pull and you already have the truck, fine, do the math and see if you can make it work, but if you're pulling your TT on vacation and want to see what you can "get away with", just get a bigger truck.

Users who are viewing this thread