5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on SiriusXM renewal?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

In todays mail was a solicitation for SiriusXM. I haven’t read all the fine print but the big, bold eye catching headline is: 6 months all access for $50 or 12 months for $99. Then buried down later the after taxes price is $119.88 for the 12 months.
Since neither I or she uses the current service, what advantage is there to take advantage of this? The only reason we’d use it would be for real-time traffic if we weren’t using the cellphone...occasionally I have looked at that.
So whats your opinions on this? Remember we aren’t radio listeners...

BugGuy

Reaction score
If you don't listen to music, I don't think there's any reason to sign up. If you play hardball, you can get them down to $4-$6 a month, but that's not for all access.

There are other things besides music (talk radio, news, etc.), but it's hard to say that's worth $120 a year.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

In todays mail was a solicitation for SiriusXM. I haven’t read all the fine print but the big, bold eye catching headline is: 6 months all access for $50 or 12 months for $99. Then buried down later the after taxes price is $119.88 for the 12 months.
Since neither I or she uses the current service, what advantage is there to take advantage of this? The only reason we’d use it would be for real-time traffic if we weren’t using the cellphone...occasionally I have looked at that.
So whats your opinions on this? Remember we aren’t radio listeners...
I went with the 12-month renewal, but I’m listening to SiriusXM stations pretty much all the time. I occasionally listen to college sports, too.

Next time around, I may not renew. For the money, SiriusXM Guardian should be included.

And as others have said, traffic is a five-year trial.

CJR28

Reaction score
I renewed only because some areas i travel to have spotty radio/cell reception and the Sirius has always worked great! If you spend a little time on the phone with them you can usually work them down a bit.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Appreciate it. I was not aware that traffic was 5 years. That's the only use I'd foresee.
She uses her Apple Car Play, I just drive.

Appreciate the info.

On to bigger and better questions!

Johnvan

Reaction score
I really hate how they force you to call and cancel. The other annoying thing is that everyone is paying different prices. They need to keep it simple like Netflix. Sign up or cancel online and everyone pays $5 a month. Their subscriber numbers would triple.
I wasn't planning on resubscribing but recently got a promo that was too good to pass up. $4.99 a month for 12 months and I pay monthly, not all in one shot.
Hold off and eventually a great deal will come along.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I really hate how they force you to call and cancel. The other annoying thing is that everyone is paying different prices. They need to keep it simple like Netflix. Sign up or cancel online and everyone pays $5 a month. Their subscriber numbers would triple.
I wasn't planning on resubscribing but recently got a promo that was too good to pass up. $4.99 a month for 12 months and I pay monthly, not all in one shot.
That's right. You will get a new offer in the mail every week for a year.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I do enjoy listening to the radio, I just cannot stand commercials to any degree. However, I feel that SiriusXM is not worth it once the so-called free service expires. I'm not a fan of their BS tactics. However, I've found that if you let your service expire for a few months, you'll find their pricing will drop significantly. Otherwise, I could easily just stream from my phone, or play music off of the large USB drive.

Jako

Reaction score
I like the way you summed up what their business model should be. I would be a customer on several vehicles if that was the case. For the 4.99/month is it via your credit card and automatic renewal - excuse me sirius calls it "free activation"? This seems to be the new business model. I have 2 newspapers that would be getting my subscription if it was not for the "automatic renewal" charge on my credit card. Give the consumer the option.

I don't know what is taught at business schools. Born in 1955 and USA products were the standard world wide, built with pride and the consumer in mind.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Many credit cards now offer virtual account numbers that generate a random card number linked to your account where you can set a dollar and time limit. For instance, $100 in a 2 month period. Come auto renewal time the number no longer works. Perfect for subscription services.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
Many credit cards now offer virtual account numbers that generate a random card number linked to your account where you can set a dollar and time limit. For instance, $100 in a 2 month period. Come auto renewal time the number no longer works. Perfect for subscription services.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Yes Jako. It's renewing every month at $4.99 and after 12 months will jump up to the regular rate. I'll cancel before that time and wait for another offer.
I had to use the web address and promo code on the promotional letter. It didn't show up when I logged into my SiriusXM account online.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I renewed for $4.99/ month for 12 months. I like having it. Plus, I listen to the app on my phone in the office and in my second car via bluetooth.

Last edited:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
As with any subscription service (Netflix, Apple Music, HBO, etc.) it is all about how much you are entertained vs. the cost of that entertainment. For me, I've been a XM, then Sirius, then SiriusXM subscriber pretty much since it was available. I enjoy the ability to listen to RedSox on my phone (can't do that without MLB package), Nascar races, segmented music channels, Howard Stern, etc.

But, I'm either listening in my truck, or on the app sometime during the day. I use it while mowing the lawn, while on the iPad, etc.

For 33 cents a day, over the course of the year, it's worth it to me. But, I also don't drink coffee, so that's about the equivalent of 1/3rd of a cup a day, or less, if you go to Starbucks.

Most of the time, you can't beat their promotions for the 12 months all inclusive for $99 ($120) a year. But, never pay the $19.95 monthly renewal fee, anyone doing that probably also got ripped off on their truck purchase.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Renewed via the link in the letter I recently received. Bonus echo dot for free ($50 on amazon). I use the service all the time and have for a decade. For $5 a month it's a pretty good deal. Reminder in calendar to call before renewal. 5 minutes and another year If they still have these rates. Tactics they use are widespread now. I don't necessarily like them but I'm sure it works for them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I subscribe to it because radio reception in my area is spotty unless I want to listen to what the teenagers are listening to. But I do like others have mentioned, and cancel my subscription before the regular rates start. Then wait for the inevitable mailer with a deal I'm comfortable with.

The other aspect I like and use is I can stream it from my phone and tablet when I'm not in my truck.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
I renewed for $4.99/ month for 12 months. I like having it. Plus, I listen to the app on my phone in the office and in my second car via bluetooth.

Agree! I set my calendar for a week out, call and cancel. Then wait for the $4.99 to come back around and start the game (I mean process) all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread