5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think I found a fifth wheel I can tow....

Rjhagner

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Winnebago Minnie Plus 5-er, model 25RKS. It has a dry hitch weight of 820# (which I triple checked since the trailer dry weight is 7,220). I will be using a Reese sidewinder pin box to accommodate my short bed, and a B&W fixed hitch in the bed (125#). With a payload of 1,450 this leaves me 505 lbs for the wife and I (300lbs) plus a couple of dogs and a bit of gear. I will be installing airbags in the rear springs.
Should pick it up the end of this month and will let y'all know how it goes!

1911 Go Boom

Reaction score
Disclaimer- I am new to travel trailers. But, may double check that pin weight as the one quoted is dry weight. From their website, the GVRW of that 5er is just shy of 10,000 lbs. I would think the actual pin weight ready to camp will be significantly higher than 820#. Again, new to this, but this is my understanding. If I am wrong, would like to hear the correct way to figure it.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Nice layout. It's just the bedroom up front so only clothes in there really.
All the heavy stuff is going to be in the kitchen and storage in the rear. That's good.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like an 11.4%tongue weight. So fully loaded a minimum of 1140, that saying you didn't affect tongue weight by how you load the camper.

Looks like you will not be hauling water and will be emptying your tanks before you head home.

Does the original tongue weight include propane tanks? Do you plan to put anything else at the tongue...extra batteries, solor panels,etc. This will drastically change tongue weight if it doesn't.

Let's say you pack real light and only add 700 lbs to the camper and you could pack it not to affect tongue weight.

That is 902 lbs TW.

So with hitch that is 1027...from your 1450, gives you 423 lbs...

This said...people are towing them and loving the results...

Tow what you feel comfortable, be comfortable while you tow.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Winnebago Minnie Plus 5-er, model 25RKS. It has a dry hitch weight of 820# (which I triple checked since the trailer dry weight is 7,220). I will be using a Reese sidewinder pin box to accommodate my short bed, and a B&W fixed hitch in the bed (125#). With a payload of 1,450 this leaves me 505 lbs for the wife and I (300lbs) plus a couple of dogs and a bit of gear. I will be installing airbags in the rear springs.
Should pick it up the end of this month and will let y'all know how it goes!
Take your truck to CAT Scale to see the actual available payload and axel weight distribution before jumping on the purchase.

Rjhagner

Reaction score
Nice layout. It's just the bedroom up front so only clothes in there really.
All the heavy stuff is going to be in the kitchen and storage in the rear. That's good.
That must be the reason for the very low hitch weight %., having kitchen in back....didn't think of that.

Rjhagner

Reaction score
Looks like an 11.4%tongue weight. So fully loaded a minimum of 1140, that saying you didn't affect tongue weight by how you load the camper.

Looks like you will not be hauling water and will be emptying your tanks before you head home.

Does the original tongue weight include propane tanks? Do you plan to put anything else at the tongue...extra batteries, solor panels,etc. This will drastically change tongue weight if it doesn't.

Let's say you pack real light and only add 700 lbs to the camper and you could pack it not to affect tongue weight.

That is 902 lbs TW.

So with hitch that is 1027...from your 1450, gives you 423 lbs...

This said...people are towing them and loving the results...

Tow what you feel comfortable, be comfortable while you tow.
Yep...we plan to tow light. No fluids, just propane. Batteries, etc will be stowed towards the rear.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I personally never had TT or camp out in one but thinking about. There are lots of choice on the marker and not even sure if my family is up for it. I found the best option for me is to rent TT few times and see if my family likes the experience overall, and what type of traler is best for my needs.

Rjhagner

Reaction score
I personally never had TT or camp out in one but thinking about. There are lots of choice on the marker and not even sure if my family is up for it. I found the best option for me is to rent TT few times and see if my family likes the experience overall, and what type of traler is best for my needs.
I think that is exactly the way to figure out how the fam feels about it. As much as we love to camp, I know many of our friends would never even consider it. Oh well....their loss....

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
Take your truck to CAT Scale to see the actual available payload and axel weight distribution before jumping on the purchase.
Can you give me more info on this? Currently my father in law is looking at buying a travel trailer to pull behind is 2007 Silverado 2500HD. Issue is here is I think he’s looking at too big of a trailer( 40+ ft long and around 16k dry weight.) so instead of arguing I would love to take him somewhere with the truck where they can verify who’s right here.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Can you give me more info on this? Currently my father in law is looking at buying a travel trailer to pull behind is 2007 Silverado 2500HD. Issue is here is I think he’s looking at too big of a trailer( 40+ ft long and around 16k dry weight.) so instead of arguing I would love to take him somewhere with the truck where they can verify who’s right here.

Users who are viewing this thread