5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The whole Daystar and sensor link mystery solved in one spot

Samson75

Reaction score
Here’s what I’ve compiled to do the whole thing without getting taken to the cleaners or you can even do it yourself . I did! Torque wrench and good notes on wrench size and torque spec.

Daystar part # KC09113BK
This is the kit. It requires the links as a combo so I assume that’s why they state it’s not for air.... I’ve seen so many with this exact kit how can they be wrong!?! Lol.

This is my favourite part less then $50 Canadian dollars and 1/2” build time. I think they are cleaner looking and fit perfectly (not bulky) and the revel links are so overpriced.
Ball socket to build your own sensor links
8mm stainless
Use stainless threaded rod 60 mm stud to stud is dead level and each 5 mm is 15mm lower suspension. ... ish

Video for the how to:

Followed this video to the letter on my 2019. Worked like a charm.

DO NOT DRIVE FAR WITHOUT WHEEL BALANCE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
98684e3236b92ee21528917da62f8f09.jpg
e5cea7bd860e0ca04d086b65f95071a1.jpg
21df4222577f8bff203e776cb708e70c.jpg
1b3fe2691f20afca321add17c3fe994e.jpg
9acc92173841c1cfa02f0f3fb4fef5dc.jpg
611c37d79b2fd0e44ce4ad7556d8dba7.jpg
2156cab92095bd76882e30428d631b00.jpg
94c7e026193b00931e89f50eeacdd750.jpg

285/60 R20 Nitto EXO grappler on Fuel Contra rims 20” with +1 offset.

I’m so happy with the result. The truck has an aggressive look but the offset doesn’t fling rocks all over the side .
The truck rides exactly like stock the tires are really quiet.

Attachments

• A28E549A-1F5D-46A1-89BA-47F702C0C3D6.jpeg
    A28E549A-1F5D-46A1-89BA-47F702C0C3D6.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Harrison1

Reaction score
Man this is the best write up on the topic I've seen so far. I would note that if you plan on doing any offroading you will need to switch the UCA's to the ones from the mopar 2" lift.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bags

Reaction score
Great write up for sure. Has anyone had this done by a knowledgeable shop in Houston? Please let me know.

Samson75

Reaction score
Man this is the best write up on the topic I've seen so far. I would note that if you plan on doing any offroading you will need to switch the UCA's to the ones from the mopar 2" lift.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks!! And yes I’ve already planned to do the UCA’s at the end of summer. If I’m honest I doubt I’m going to do any real heavy wheeling , just snowy roads and muddy RV parks mostly but the piece of mind is worth the install time and money for sure. I saw a great write up on here . The poster tapped and installed his own ball stud for the levering links ..

Last edited:

ny2az

Reaction score
Here’s what I’ve compiled to do the whole thing without getting taken to the cleaners or you can even do it yourself . I did! Torque wrench and good notes on wrench size and torque spec.

Daystar part # KC09113BK
This is the kit. It requires the links as a combo so I assume that’s why they state it’s not for air.... I’ve seen so many with this exact kit how can they be wrong!?! Lol.

This is my favourite part less then $50 Canadian dollars and 1/2” build time. I think they are cleaner looking and fit perfectly (not bulky) and the revel links are so overpriced.
Ball socket to build your own sensor links
8mm stainless
Use stainless threaded rod and cut at 35-40mm. 50mm is dead level and each 5 mm is 15mm lower suspension. ... ish
40mm rod = 50mm eye to eye

Video for the how to:

285/60 R20 Nitto EXO grappler on Fuel Contra rims 20” with +1 offset.

I’m so happy with the result. The truck has an aggressive look but the offset doesn’t fling rocks all over the side .
The truck rides exactly like stock the tires are really quiet.

have question on the homemade links ... in the video ...after adding the daystar level kit and the links ...
you say the links are measured 3 3/4" from center to center of each ball joint ... is this still correct ... a little
confused because above you reference 50mm center to center which is just about 2 inches...
what is the correct length to make the links when adding the daystar spacer...
thx

Samson75

Reaction score
have question on the homemade links ... in the video ...after adding the daystar level kit and the links ... you say the links are 3 3/4"
from center to center of each ball joint ... is this still correct ... lm a little confused because above you reference 50mm center to center which is just about 2 inches...
thx
Nice catch!! Yes, the video is one I stole from you tube. Great Rescource. I believe his truck is 2017-2018 rebel. Anyway the entire video was bang on for my entire install except 2 things. The custom made link and the break torque Spec. I’m not sure he was wrong in either respect however his link was definitely not correct for my truck and the torque spec freaked me out so I stopped short . I’m Canadian eh so that’s why I measure in Metric. Also for this Canadian it’s just easier to be incredibly consistent and accurate when I measure in mm . Just what I’m used to. That said I went and remeasured. 65mm corrected

Attachments

• E0F7699D-59BE-4441-86CC-0F6C649AAD1B.jpeg
    E0F7699D-59BE-4441-86CC-0F6C649AAD1B.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ny2az

Reaction score
Nice catch!! Yes, the video is one I stole from you tube. Great Rescource. I believe his truck is 2017-2018 rebel. Anyway the entire video was bang on for my entire install except 2 things. The custom made link and the break torque Spec. I’m not sure he was wrong in either respect however his link was definitely not correct for my truck and the torque spec freaked me out so I stopped short . I’m Canadian eh so that’s why I measure in Metric. Also for this Canadian it’s just easier to be incredibly consistent and accurate when I measure in mm . Just what I’m used to. That said I went and remeasured. 65mm corrected

appreciate the update ... so total lenght is 65mm or 65mm center to center of the balljoint.....thx again...

ny2az

Reaction score
Update.....
Daystar spacers #KC09113BK installed ... everything went very well ... installed at a local shop here in Scottsdale, Arizona ... Ultimate Wheels 480-447-2211 ... l paid $225 installed w/ wheel alignment but, that was discounted thru my job and l supplied the daystar and DIY links ... his normal install price is $325 w/ alignment which is still a good price ... he does sell the daystars if you need as well as any other lift kit should you decide ... his shop does wheels, tires, lift kits and more ...

Vehicle placed in entry/exit mode as well as jack mode ... spacers installed then new links installed as per OP DIY kit and measurement's ... lastly, when completed, vehicle lowered ... started up ... raised vehicle to normal mode, all functioned well ... then raised to OR2, down to OR1... no lights or check suspension lights ... ride is as stock ... very happy ... hope this helps anyone looking to do the Daystar install for leveling......

***Just a note.....
upper and lower sockets for the fronts sensors on my 2020 Ram 1500 were 8mm ... not sure about 2019 ...

Thank you Samson75 for this excellent writeup and the info to fab the DIY links...

Last edited:

KarsonR

Reaction score
Do you recall exactly which part number ball socket you bought from that website?

ny2az

Reaction score
Do you recall exactly which part number ball socket you bought from that website?

l purchased my ball sockets at Bansbach ... they carry an assortment ... there website is
https://store.easylift.com/ ... scroll down to end fittings .. then over to ball sockets ... l selected the J3 M5 which is a 8 mm ball socket ... 5mm threaded rod, cost was $3.55 a piece ... l purchased 8 pieces to make a set for the front and the rears... 2 per air cell is needed ... threaded rod purchased at home depot .... make sure to specify usps flat rate shipping for $8 or you will pay possible $14 for UPS ... hope this helps...any questions feel free to ask ...

Last edited:

KarsonR

Reaction score
l purchased my ball sockets at Bansbach ... they carry an assortment ... there website is
https://store.easylift.com/ ... scroll down to end fittings .. then over to ball sockets ... l selected the J3 M5 which is a 8 mm ball socket ... 5mm threaded rod, cost was $3.55 a piece ... l purchased 8 pieces to make a set for the front and the rears... 2 per air cell is needed ... threaded rod purchased at home depot .... make sure to specify usps flat rate shipping for $8 or you will pay possible $14 for UPS ... hope this helps...any questions feel free to ask ...
Awesome! Thanks for all the info!

KarsonR

Reaction score
Will do! Now I gotta order the Daystar spacer, gonna do it all at the same time

Samson75

Reaction score
Will do! Now I gotta order the Daystar spacer, gonna do it all at the same time

Good call!! Your kidneys will thank you!! Lol good luck. You won’t be disappointed

ny2az

Reaction score
Just a quick note to be mentioned ...
my measurement was 60mm center to center to have a 1/2" rake front to rear ... at 65mm, it was 1" lower than the rear ... so l would suggest you start with 65mm ... and go from there till you get to your desired rake ...

Attachments

• 20200303_113838_resized (2).jpg
    20200303_113838_resized (2).jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 107

ny2az

Reaction score
Just a quick note to be mentioned ...
my measurement was 60mm center to center to have a 1/2" rake front to rear in normal mode... 39 rear 38 1/2" front ... at 65mm, front was 1" lower than the rear 39/38 ... so l would suggest you start with 65mm ... and go from there till you get to your desired rake ...

KarsonR

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll do that... Now I've gotta find a good wheel to go with billet silver, my limited had Laramie 18's on it when I got it and they've got to go

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wondered about that as I was told 2.25 length made it about level. I though 65mm would be too long

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online