5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The weird driving issue that just occurred today (Jolting while accelerating)

lkuseian

Reaction score
2020 ram bighorn with 4wd and 3.6l engine

Started her up this morning was driving to work as I began to accelerate from 25 up to about 35 it started jolting/chopping forward but was not getting any faster almost as if the gear could not catch. I let off the gas coasted down to 20 again and accelerated again the same issue. Coasted down to a stop put it in neutral and then drive and it appeared to be working fine after.

Not sure if it was transmission gear-related or a sensor messing things up but I am not going to bring it to the dealer cause god knows the first thing they are going to say is we couldn't replicate it. between this and the hissing squealing Air conditioner when turned off I am getting happier and happier that this dam truck is a lease and not a committed purchase.... She may look the best out of the half tons but idk if the kinks are worked out.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Started her up this morning was driving to work as I began to accelerate from 25 up to about 35 it started jolting/chopping forward but was not getting any faster almost as if the gear could not catch. I let off the gas coasted down to 20 again and accelerated again the same issue. Coasted down to a stop put it in neutral and then drive and it appeared to be working fine after.

Not sure if it was transmission gear-related or a sensor messing things up but I am not going to bring it to the dealer cause god knows the first thing they are going to say is we couldn't replicate it. between this and the hissing squealing Air conditioner when turned off I am getting happier and happier that this dam truck is a lease and not a committed purchase.... She may look the best out of the half tons but idk if the kinks are worked out.

I regret that you are now experiencing this concern as well, @lkuseian. If at any point you do work with your dealer, please know we are a PM away and we are more than willing to try and make that experience as smooth as possible for you.

Mark
RamCares

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I take mine in Monday to review similar issues. I have a 3.6L as well. Typically, mine stutters/surges most when cold, but I experience odd shifting behavior and engine vibrations on and off. RamCares helped me get a case submitted which I am looking forward to support from FCA. We’ll see Monday!

wcarman

Reaction score
Keep us updated, I'm interested in this. I've noticed the same issue when it's cold. I'm waiting for the colder months to see if it does it consistently enough to bring it to the dealer. For me it surges while going up slight inclines right before it shift (a lugging state) but it really only does it for that one shift and then I haven't had it do it after that. I think it will show up more consistently once the weather cools down here though.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Is it sputtering between 35 to 45? Because that is completely normal and is written into the tune of the vehicle, something with how the lifters work to increase hp/torque/mpg. It's an unfortunate reality.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
That’s odd that it’s normal behavior. The first dealer I visited did not acknowledge a problem, but did apply TCM updates. But, the behavior remains so I’m taking to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Seems like a torque converter problem to me. But I’m not the OP, just sharing my experience.

Smerberj

Reaction score
That’s odd that it’s normal behavior. The first dealer I visited did not acknowledge a problem, but did apply TCM updates. But, the behavior remains so I’m taking to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Seems like a torque converter problem to me. But I’m not the OP, just sharing my experience.
Yeah the Jeep forums are FULL of the explanation. It's just how the 3.6L works (for now).

EtherRam

Reaction score
Any update on this? I just had the same issue happen this morning on my 3.6

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Might just need a transmission software update.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
No real updates to share. Dealer acknowledges a problem but they’re not sure what it is and they don’t have enough to send to Chrysler for replacement parts. Frustrating, no doubt.

lkuseian

Reaction score
no real update taking in again on 1/25 for the issue along with the 10 oil and tire rotate see if they can do a tcm flash

Smerberj

Reaction score
no real update taking in again on 1/25 for the issue along with the 10 oil and tire rotate see if they can do a tcm flash
Let me know if you discover anything after your dealer visit. Idk if this will help you but I bought a Hikeit Throttle Controller and the surging has decreased significantly.

Glvnet

Reaction score
I experience the same thing and the issue is TCM related. At 35 Miles per hour the truck shifts into 8th gear (running between 1000 and 1200 RPM) when it should be maybe in 6th. This causes the truck to miss behave. To mitigate this, when going between 35 - 45 I restrict the gear to go up to 6th using the steering wheel controls. Funny enough though, when going 80 miles per hour, the truck is mostly in 7th gear instead of 8th. So, I am not sure why at low speeds the truck uses a very high gear, but at higher speeds it uses a lower gear. I took it to the dealer and after leaving the truck overnight I got the infamous " We could not replicate". BS...it does it consistently...every time. I have learned to ignore it for now. Good luck everyone here.

jtothecruz

Reaction score
Does this only effect the V6 models? I know it's kind of a dumb question being on the V6 section.

Boston

Reaction score
I can't see any reason to justify a fluid change which is my knee jerk weird transmission behavior solution. I'm doubting you have to miles on your truck so fluid is still fresh and at the right level.

I have on another brand experience strange fluttering or mini surging that was remedied by changing a couple of gear shift solenoids. But that was with 80k miles on... again many more than yours.

Watch the tachometer next time. Also does the dealer have a data logging device they can install?

Ben2020

Reaction score
I had this same issue on my 2020 Lonestar. I went to the dealership several times but they looked at me like I was crazy because they could never recreate it. I tried to force it to throw a code to no avail...Finally the service Supervisor hooked me up with the old obdmini recorder, and I was able to capture the condition. Turned out to be cracked porcelain on a couple sparkplugs. Low rpm/high load misfire.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Smerberj

Reaction score
There is a TCM & PCM update for the 2019/2020 Ram 1500 3.6L built before April 2020. My truck goes in Friday for the update.

Update: Dropped my truck off at the dealership and was informed that it may take a day or two. Luckily for me the service manager is a nice guy and got me into a free rental.

Last edited:

Smerberj

Reaction score
After the TCM/PCM updates it seems that the issue is fixed. I purposely rode the pedal very lightly up a slight grade and instead of it hesitating/surging it downshifted like it was supposed too. I also notice I'm in 6th gear while cruising at 30 MPH instead of 8th (Always caused the surging issue here).

svtvs

Reaction score
I also had pretty much the same issues (since the 2nd day of owning it. Talk about disheartening), and just had the PCM/TCM/DTCM all flashed this afternoon.

Time to see whether this fixes the issue or not.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I also had pretty much the same issues (since the 2nd day of owning it. Talk about disheartening), and just had the PCM/TCM/DTCM all flashed this afternoon.

Time to see whether this fixes the issue or not.
My truck did it today for a brief millisecond; however, it immediately corrected itself with a downshift. All in all, it's much better than it was.

Users who are viewing this thread