5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wait Is Over, We Have The Details On The New Ram 1500 EcoDiesel:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Wait Is Over, We Have The Details On The New Ram 1500 EcoDiesel:
Third Generation EcoDiesel, To Come Late This Year...

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Can't wait to see driving impressions when it hits the test fleets! If it's not a dog for general everyday non-work truck driving, that's now at the top of my list for replacing my lease in fall 2021.

1Zach1

Reaction score
Been holding off on buying a new truck for the new diesel to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel (between the Ram and the Gladiator). Looks like this will be the winner.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure hope there's no "teething pains" on this mill. Time will tell.

The competition in the small diesel segment benefits everyone.

I have read/watched lots on the International Harvester/Ford Powerstroke problems so am pretty suspicious of diesels. If it wasn't for the extra maintenance costs for oil and the concerns over the pollution control components, fuel age/quality and fuel filter replacements, I'd have been interested in the first 3.0 ecodiesel.
Maybe they will have taken a good look at these other maker's issues and tried to abate them on the FCA product. Hope so.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Concerns for pollution control equipment on the 14 through 18 is legit the rest doesn’t amount to much. Sounds like they have put a lot of research and work into the pollution equipment for the 2020 ED.

You pick the right truck largely by matching both platform and power train to your intended uses. Buying a diesel because you think it’s cool or sure I’d like good mileage often results in a miss match. All three engine choices here are “best” depending on what you want from the truck or how you intend to use it.

Last edited:

raptor5618

Reaction score
Concerns for pollution control equipment on the 14 through 18 is legit the rest doesn’t amount to much. Sounds like they have put a lot of research and work into the pollution equipment for the 2020 ED.

You pick the right truck largely by matching both platform and power train to your intended uses. Buying a diesel because you think it’s cool or sure I’d like good mileage often results in a miss match. All three engine choices here are “best” depending on what you want from the truck or how you intend to use it.

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee when they first put a diesel in it. Yes they had problems, and it was an issue for a while but they got things straightened out. But the emissions became an issue as I got closer to 100K. Got another JGC but but they did not have Diesel at the time so I leased one with Gas. Hate it. All the diesels I have had two Jetta's and on JGC exceeded the MPG rating especially the average. If you calculate the added cost for diesel and the cost per mile for fuel and duration of the vehicle it works out. Add in convenience of driving 500 or 600 miles between fill ups and how nice it is to just push down a little on the pedal to get some acceleration at highway speeds and for me the cost is worth it. 2 years of a gas vehicle is enough for me to crave going back to diesel. So I will be one of people buying into a new engine and hope the initial experience is better than my first. However, that first experience was worth it. The emissions thing is something to think about because it will eventually bite you hard long before the engine is ready to give up its ghost. If you plan on hauling anything well then the choice is clear. To me anyway. I like getting in something I drive and still liking the vehicle that has a few years of driving on it. Perhaps now that I am in NC the difference might not be so noticeable but when I was driving the hills of PA and moved to gas it took a good while to adjust to how you have to drive to maintain a steady speed. I too wish that they had more info on how you could get your hands on one. At least let me figure the cost of the build. I am new here but was on the other site for Jeeps and that dealer that is mentioned here was a great way to get a vehicle.

Reaction score
Ordered a Laramie Ecodiesel yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to it. We tow a trailer for camping and go all over the US. I anticipate a significant improvement over my current tow vehicle.

Capsfloyd

Reaction score
Can't wait to see driving impressions when it hits the test fleets! If it's not a dog for general everyday non-work truck driving, that's now at the top of my list for replacing my lease in fall 2021.
Those that have the 2015 Ecodiesel and had to do the V08 Emmisons recall , now there is a recall on EGR Cooler . Some had caught on fire .
there is of 11-28-19 not any parts available

I traded mine 2015 Ecodiesel 2 weeks ago for 2019 2500 Megaca, Rambox, Cummins
I hope the bottom don’t fall off these trucks on resale ?

Reaction score
Ordered a Laramie Ecodiesel yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to it. We tow a trailer for camping and go all over the US. I anticipate a significant improvement over my current tow vehicle.
Picked up the truck two days ago. I'm very happy with it so far. We're planning a comping trip in early January and I will report on my tow experience

Reaction score
Picked up the truck two days ago. I'm very happy with it so far. We're planning a comping trip in early January and I will report on my tow experience

First tow experience (just from the storage yard to our home) was great. The ease with which the truck handled the 8700# load was great. Backing up my steep driveway was much better than with my previous truck. I also noticed acceleration away from stoplights was much smoother and would easily been faster had I put my foot down more! I am all ready very happy with the truck. I did follow the recommendation of 500 miles prior to towing in the owners manual.

Reactions: Doc

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How’s the engine preforming for the truck?.. Is there power?.. Have you “gotten on it” yet? Any thoughts of it being underpowered a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread