5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The magic box

NonToxic628

Reaction score
Ive
Has anyone tried these. Curious if they work.

I’ve used a similar box from a company called MMB. It basically has the guts of an entry level android tablet. It interfaces through your USB ports and also allows for wireless Apple car play. I haven’t had any issues with it so far. It’s not the fastest thing in the world, but it will run Netflix, Hulu, etc.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this one, works excellent.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have this one, works excellent.
I have this one also but haven’t messed with it enough to give a review. What I can say is that Support was very responsive when I had an issue setting up the keyboard remote.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this one also but haven’t messed with it enough to give a review. What I can say is that Support was very responsive when I had an issue setting up the keyboard remote.
Yes, support is excellent. I had the first one (blue) for 10 month and it would not boot anymore. We had a video call and they walked me thru a firmware re install. We found out it was a hardware issue. They sent me a new one (red) newest model within 3 days.

rich.grzych

Reaction score
I have the Magic Box and it seems to work so far

Attachments

• E5720110-CFF5-4D9A-88F4-4C7D4C26595D.png
    E5720110-CFF5-4D9A-88F4-4C7D4C26595D.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 193

Durandetto

Reaction score
Just got this yesterday and it doesn't appear to be fully compatible with the 12" screen. Netflix is a no go, no pinch to zoom on Google maps. Android auto is unusable. Audio cuts out constantly. Wifi is trash with the truck Hotspot and my phone. One good thing about it is it made me appreciate uconnect more.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

EcodieselDave

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these. Curious if they work.

What did you find out?
Did yours work? Netflix YouTube YouTube music, could you download from Google Play appstore? Screen mirror

I'm waiting On my 2023 Elite Limited 1500 loaded up rambox etc... In 2022 they switched the Giant screen to Uconnect 5 software

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got this yesterday and it doesn't appear to be fully compatible with the 12" screen. Netflix is a no go, no pinch to zoom on Google maps. Android auto is unusable. Audio cuts out constantly. Wifi is trash with the truck Hotspot and my phone. One good thing about it is it made me appreciate uconnect more.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Couple of things here.

Pinch to zoom works fine on Google maps.

Your touchscreen isn't multi-touch, so it can't register to separate touches at the same time. That's a limitation of your hardware, not the device.

Netflix is the same way. The app itself doesn't know how to handle the portrait aspect ratio, you can simply use multi-app mode (if the device supports it) or make a homepage for the top half of the screen and Netflix will "fit right"

Wifi being a problem could be the hardware, or just the fact hotspots can suck depending on where you are.
What did you find out?
Did yours work? Netflix YouTube YouTube music, could you download from Google Play appstore? Screen mirror

I'm waiting On my 2023 Elite Limited 1500 loaded up rambox etc... In 2022 they switched the Giant screen to Uconnect 5 software

Most of these devices can't download very many apps from the playstore. You can sideload the APKs but they come with a much older verison of Android generally.
I currently have a device that works with Hulu, Disney Plus, Netflix, and Youtube find. I could download other apps from the play store but not those. Torque and Alfaobd installed fine from the appstore for example.

I believe most of the boxes support screen mirroring, but why even bother. it's already running android, why bother wasting battery life on your phone to attempt to broadcast stuff that can just be displayed on the device itself. Also keep in mind there are 2-3 differnet protocols for screen mirroring that work to varrying degrees such as Miracast, and Chromecast to name 2. Compatibility is rough depending on the device and your phone.

With all that said. This device in question the Magic Box is grossly overpriced for what it appears to be offering wtih the current market.
You can get one of these devices from $150-300 currently. $390 is more then any I have seen and likely not worth it. The one I currently have I got for $160 on sale and works fine (despite having an older version of Android then listed)

Users who are viewing this thread