5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Handy Rapid Fan Clutch Change Out - 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 V8

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
No!!!!!!!

I'm doing a suspension job on my Charger R/T Daytona, so I need my old 2003 Dodge Quadcab for my daily 110-mile commute to work. But by the time I got to work this morning. I noticed that my engine had started to vibrate. o_O

Ever since I got the truck back from the paint and body guy, I have noticed a slight shake. But I assumed it was the alignment since the left front wheel took a hard hit in the wreck. But by the time I got to work. I was able to tell it was the engine and not the suspension or drive train. I opened the hood and grabbed the fan. It was okay side to side. But then I noticed it had a wobble front to back. Then I said a prayer of thanks. A bad fan clutch is about the easiest engine vibration to solve. God is very good. So when I got back home, I went by O'Reilly Auto Parts, snagged a $55 fan clutch with my veteran's discount and got her done! :)

QuadCab19July2021_01.jpg

Tools included a 24" Crescent wrench, 24" pry bar, 13 mm socket, torque wrench set to 18 ft-lbs, impact wrench and a hammer. New fan clutch is a Murray 2742 from O'Reilly.

QuadCab19July2021_02.jpg

My engine was apparently still dirty from the wreck. Mud likes to go everywhere while sliding out-of-control down a steep embankment. :rolleyes:

Removing the fan clutch was child's play. I did not need to remove the fan shroud. I just put the 24" Crescent wrench on the nut on the back of the fan clutch, held the pulley with the pry bar and wacked the side of the Crescent wrench with the hammer towards the passenger side of the truck. Even after 18+ years and over 250K miles, the nut just popped loose.

QuadCab19July2021_03.jpg

I installed the fan on the new clutch and torqued the four bolts to 18 ft-lbs. Then I just screwed the fan clutch nut back on the water pump, tightened it by tapping the giant Crescent wrench with the hammer while hold the pulley with the pry bar, and I was done! Total job time - about 30 minutes. :giggle:

QuadCab19July2021_04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread