5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Handy" 4.7L Valve Train Refresh - 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quadcab 2WD

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The 4.7L Magnum V8 in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab needs a valve train refresh. The thing has always ticked at idle since I bought it new in November 2002. But now it's gotten pretty loud. It has about 260,000 miles on it and the timing chain is just about done. But I figure I've got a little time left. So I'm planning on doing some minor upgrades if I can find all the parts.

First on the list is a set of camshafts from a 4.7L HO engine. These should give me upward of 30 extra ponies if mated with the right intake manifold. No PCM tuning should be needed, but I have a friend up in Canada that can likely load a PCM with a canned performance tune for me. My cost on these with shipping and tax was about $225.

HO Camshafts.jpg

The HO intake I found costs me around $105.

HO Intake.jpg

These were the hardest parts to find. I could use the same parts from a standard 2008/2009 4.7L and could get almost the same increase in horsepower. But those have the wire-operated throttle like our modern Hemi engines. An adapter kit to use my cable throttle would be over $200. So using these old HO parts from a 2000 to 2004 Jeep with the HO engine are the best bang for my buck.

Next on the list will be some 2008 rockers, lifters and a whole new timing kit. I will not know if I need new timing sprockets until I tear her down and inspect. More to come. 😉

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Here in 2021, what are the best parts to use when doing a 4.7L valve train refresh in a 2003 Ram 1500? At 260,000 miles, the chain in my 4.7L is getting loud. So far I've obtained a set of HO camshafts, an HO intake manifold and a set of used 2005 or newer rockers with the smaller oil holes. Here's a list of things I still need and the questions I have:

1. What brand of timing set is best? Should I get one of the popular and very affordable sets from Amazon, or go with a US made set like Melling?

2. Is the "professional" Melling timing set worth the extra $80 over the standard Melling timing set for an everyday truck?

3. Do I need to replace the timing sprockets? Should I go ahead and get a timing set that includes them or wait until I get into the engine to inspect the old ones? Do they often need replacing?

4. I have the slightly newer style NGC engine. Should I go ahead and use a timing cover gasket or just use RTV like I believe came from the factory? I will definitely replace the crank seal.

5. New oil pump needed? Yes or no?

6. Any other things to consider?

My skill level is ASE certified Master Tech. But I haven't worked professionally in a shop since I became a college boy in the 1980's. I'm looking for advice specifically from folks that know and love the 4.7 and 3.7 engines. That advice is highly appreciated. And I will use it when purchasing the parts I need. ;)

Oh... And here's my first attempt at a parts list:

1633191080319.png

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Just added a set of new lifters to my parts list. Power Seal (formerly Federal-Mogul) is known for quality lifters. And at $19.99 for a 4-pack, I snagged all four packs.

Ram Lifters 3Oct021_01.jpg

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I decided not to get a new oil pump. Changing it would mean pulling the oil pan to remove the pickup tube. I was only going to replace the oil pump because I thought it would be easy to do with the timing components removed. But since the pan must be dropped too, it's not worth it. I still have great oil pressure and these pumps last a long time if not clogged with sludge or metal shavings.

Here's my Rock Auto invoice.

Ram RockAutoValveStuff-4Oct2021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread