5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The DT Achilles Heel (If your having problems read this)

niftyguy239

Reaction score
Ok, this is a long post. But based on what I experienced I feel this would be able to help someone, somewhere. Since I bought the truck in May, I've had AC issues, the mysterious "bump" coming from the transmission/rear end, hard 5-4 and 2-1 downshifts, ANC noises, and UConnect going unresponsive. It's up to date on recalls and has it's service intervals at 5,000 miles. It is my pride n joy.

Majority of the issues came back as normal operation (eyeroll). But then I was in Orlando for a conference. While there, I lost my power steering in the parking lot twice. I knew about the recall and double checked that mine was completed. So I took it into the dealer. I was shocked by what I found out. Based on what happened, the codes that popped up (but no check engine light) and what the tech told me directly. I think I found the problem with so many of the trucks. The Achilles heel.

According to the tech. My main ground connection known as G2A and the ground strap for the PCM were heavily corroded and had high resistance. (There is 6,207 miles on it). The cable was scortching hot to touch. According to the tech, this fools the PCM into thinking it's getting the right voltage, but ends up overcharging the system to 15-16V. Sending that type of current to all of the accessories in turn causes the issues. This was confirmed with diagnostic testing of the battery and charging system. He told me that he looked through my vehicle history (AC fan cutting out, transmission having the dreaded 2-1 shift and the bumping from the rear end, the AC not blowing cold enough, and my unconnect issues were all because of this. This is also why a check engine light never came on (The PCM thought everything was normal) even though it stored 6 high or low voltage DTCs. He removed paint (there is not supposed to be any) and debris from the contact points, cleaned the connections, replaced the ground wire and buttoned it all back together with some grease and torqued it to spec. Drove it home 203 miles and I don't have ANY OF the problems I had before today. No more transmission shifting issues, no more "bumping" from the rear end, the drone noise and screeching in the ANC system is gone, and my AC is blowing a lot colder.

I'm not sure if it's snake oil, the real deal, or getting fed BS. But he did the work and now my truck is better then it ever has been before. I included the copy of the shop order/tech comments.

If you're in Central FL. Central FL CDJR was where I went.

Attachments

• 20190720_180337.jpg
    20190720_180337.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 233

leeghoti

Reaction score
Ok, this is a long post. But based on what I experienced I feel this would be able to help someone, somewhere. Since I bought the truck in May, I've had AC issues, the mysterious "bump" coming from the transmission/rear end, hard 5-4 and 2-1 downshifts, ANC noises, and UConnect going unresponsive. It's up to date on recalls and has it's service intervals at 5,000 miles. It is my pride n joy.

Majority of the issues came back as normal operation (eyeroll). But then I was in Orlando for a conference. While there, I lost my power steering in the parking lot twice. I knew about the recall and double checked that mine was completed. So I took it into the dealer. I was shocked by what I found out. Based on what happened, the codes that popped up (but no check engine light) and what the tech told me directly. I think I found the problem with so many of the trucks. The Achilles heel.

According to the tech. My main ground connection known as G2A and the ground strap for the PCM were heavily corroded and had high resistance. (There is 6,207 miles on it). The cable was scortching hot to touch. According to the tech, this fools the PCM into thinking it's getting the right voltage, but ends up overcharging the system to 15-16V. Sending that type of current to all of the accessories in turn causes the issues. This was confirmed with diagnostic testing of the battery and charging system. He told me that he looked through my vehicle history (AC fan cutting out, transmission having the dreaded 2-1 shift and the bumping from the rear end, the AC not blowing cold enough, and my unconnect issues were all because of this. This is also why a check engine light never came on (The PCM thought everything was normal) even though it stored 6 high or low voltage DTCs. He removed paint (there is not supposed to be any) and debris from the contact points, cleaned the connections, replaced the ground wire and buttoned it all back together with some grease and torqued it to spec. Drove it home 203 miles and I don't have ANY OF the problems I had before today. No more transmission shifting issues, no more "bumping" from the rear end, the drone noise and screeching in the ANC system is gone, and my AC is blowing a lot colder.

I'm not sure if it's snake oil, the real deal, or getting fed BS. But he did the work and now my truck is better then it ever has been before. I included the copy of the shop order/tech comments.

If you're in Central FL. Central FL CDJR was where I went.
For fun, can you tell us your build date & location?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

niftyguy239

Reaction score
For fun, can you tell us your build date & location?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

04/2018. I live in Fort Myers, Florida. The truck was bought in Venice, FL. I bought it used with 3k miles on the odo.

niftyguy239

Reaction score
Yes they did. But if you read more into the problem, this addresses more the just the power steering based on the codes that are were flagged. That's why I am posting. This fixed...for me anyway, more then just the loss of PS.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that's what I was asking .. if they had completed the G2A recall properly (prior to selling to you or even after you took control of the vehicle), you should have never seen (any) of these problems.

I'm thankful for your post, I will be checking mine when it gets here next week to confirm today's build has that fixed!

niftyguy239

Reaction score
that's what I was asking .. if they had completed the G2A recall properly (prior to selling to you or even after you took control of the vehicle), you should have never seen (any) of these problems.

I'm thankful for your post, I will be checking mine when it gets here next week to confirm today's build has that fixed!

Here I thought I was gonna help a lot of people out. LOL. At least it sounded good. But none the less

There I was and thought I was coming to save they day.

It's pretty sad that a single cable can bring a $60k truck to it's knees.

Thank you for your info! At least it may help someone out there.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope others see this and take a look at their own rigs .. so many are complaining of multiple items .. and if yours were "all" fixed with the simple recall of the main ground .. I hope your awesome find helps them as well ..

But, yes, 1 simple ground wire can cause so many problems with anything (vehicle, home, etc.) or positive cable as well.

ddharris

Reaction score
What is the exact location of this ground please. Any pics before repair?

Thanks
d

Last edited:

niftyguy239

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not as it was unexpected and I was out of town for a conference. GA2 is the main ground wire location for the battery and where the ground for the PCM meet. I imagine it's the ground on the fender just above the battery.

cra1g

Reaction score
Wow...this might turn out to be an easy fix for LOTS of people's problems. I don't have any problems with mine, but I'm going to take a look at that ground anyway.

cra1g

Reaction score
So here's the power steering recall Diamondback posted, with pictures of the ground location: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V020-3675.pdf

The recall says to check for carbon deposits and torque. It doesn't say anything about paint, so if that area was painted, it could cause the same problem and any dealers who just followed the recall to the letter wouldn't have fixed it.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent. It wouldn't be the first time fixing a ground wire fixed a lot of problems. I was an electronics tech in the US Navy, back in the days before microprocessors, and the first thing we checked when something started acting erratic without any obvious cause was for any broken or floating grounds.

One day when I'm just goofing around I'll check the ground cable on my Ram. On my Titan a lot of guys had electronic problems until they either added a ground wire or ground the existing one clean.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent. It wouldn't be the first time fixing a ground wire fixed a lot of problems. I was an electronics tech in the US Navy, back in the days before microprocessors, and the first thing we checked when something started acting erratic without any obvious cause was for any broken or floating grounds.

One day when I'm just goofing around I'll check the ground cable on my Ram. On my Titan a lot of guys had electronic problems until they either added a ground wire or ground the existing one clean.

USAF here .. I was one of few who LOVED schematics and troubleshooting LOL

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here's the power steering recall Diamondback posted, with pictures of the ground location: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V020-3675.pdf

The recall says to check for carbon deposits and torque. It doesn't say anything about paint, so if that area was painted, it could cause the same problem and any dealers who just followed the recall to the letter wouldn't have fixed it.

Loose bolt/nut would allow a gap .. this would then allow for arcing .. which would then cause carbon build up ...
if there was paint .. then there would be no metal-to-metal contact which is REQUIRED for conductivity.
Now it does say vehicles built from October 31, 2017 through October 25, 2018 -- but we can all check our own easy enough.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
USAF here .. I was one of few who LOVED schematics and troubleshooting LOL
I wanted to work in electronics when I got out 30 years ago but everything was going to swapping out boards instead of troubleshooting to component level. And of course they didn't want to pay anyone good money to swap out a board. So I opened an electronic repairs shop in the back room of a car audio place and repaired their stereo stuff and customer stuff, and car dealer stuff, but in short order even that was unprofitable; people could buy a new head unit for as much as I could fix one. It's a lucky thing I learned a new profession.

illucid

Reaction score
I would love if someone took pics of their truck with this ground issue so we could all check our own trucks. Wondering if this is causing some of my issues.

Users who are viewing this thread