5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biggest mistake leaving a dirty diaper overnight.

Lee07

Reaction score
I made the biggest mistake I can make. I went hiking with my family and everything was great. Got home and took everything out and put everything away. So I though. The next day I went to get groceries and I left a dirty diaper in the back of the truck! It was in a bag but the damage is done. Does anyone know any remedies to get that smell out?? I left it on the rebel floor mat in the back. Been scrubbing it but that smell is still there.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Lucky it was on the mat. I'd try some laundry soap with some baking soda in a bucket of hot water. Dump it on the mat and scrub away then rinse with the hose. Let it air dry then hit it with Febreeze. If that won't work may be time for a new mat.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sun light. Set it out in the direct sun for a few days.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Collect a sample of urine, preferably from a bobcat. Leave that in the truck for a few days and I guarantee you won’t smell the diaper anymore.

Lee07

Reaction score
Lucky it was on the mat. I'd try some laundry soap with some baking soda in a bucket of hot water. Dump it on the mat and scrub away then rinse with the hose. Let it air dry then hit it with Febreeze. If that won't work may be time for a new mat.

I put baking soda on it and set it out in the sun. Gonna leave it out overnight and see if that works. Interior seems fine but when I start the truck I can smell that smell coming from the vents. Hopefully it airs out in a day or so. Keeping them windows rolled down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkm312

Reaction score
Put a couple of open containers of baking soda in the back on the floor overnight when you park it. It will help absorb the smell, then get rid of the baking soda each night.

Lee07

Reaction score
Put a couple of open containers of baking soda in the back on the floor overnight when you park it. It will help absorb the smell, then get rid of the baking soda each night.

I didn’t even think to do that. Thanks

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am guessing that it is not just the mat that stinks, it is every porous material in your trunk. Put a small glass bowl of white vinegar let it sit sealed for a day. Then air out the vinegar smell for a couple hours.

Lee07

Reaction score
I am guessing that it is not just the mat that stinks, it is every porous material in your trunk. Put a small glass bowl of white vinegar let it sit sealed for a day. Then air out the vinegar smell for a couple hours.

Yeah I scrubbed the seats and it seems to be going away in the truck. I just notice the smell coming from the vents when I start the truck. Keeping my windows rolled down on that part. Trying to flush that smell out.

jkm312

Reaction score
I didn’t even think to do that. Thanks

Janitorial supply places will have some more powerful stuff to use if still not getting where you want to be.
Restoration companies like ServPro can steer you in the right direction if you have access to them or one like them in your area.
Definitely change the cabin filter as mentioned above. Perhaps put a few drops of febreeze on the old one before you change it out.

BigHerm611

Reaction score
This will get the job done, I smoke cigars in my trucks from time to time. Before I trade in or sell, or a road trip with the misses I use this.

BThiesing

Reaction score
This will get the job done, I smoke cigars in my trucks from time to time. Before I trade in or sell, or a road trip with the misses I use this.

100% this or any "odor bomb" style air freshener. Swap cabin filter prior to the bomb. Ive heard you can also put a sheet or 2 of fabric softener in with your cabin filter. In my last truck I had my soft fishing tackle bag on the back floor and a jar of salmon eggs had spilled in it (yup). Used a febreeze (I think) car bomb and truck smelled great for months. The bad odor never returned

BigHerm611

Reaction score
100% this or any "odor bomb" style air freshener. Swap cabin filter prior to the bomb. Ive heard you can also put a sheet or 2 of fabric softener in with your cabin filter. In my last truck I had my soft fishing tackle bag on the back floor and a jar of salmon eggs had spilled in it (yup). Used a febreeze (I think) car bomb and truck smelled great for months. The bad odor never returned

I’ve never heard of the fabric softener, but I’d bet that would work well.
That Adam’s odor bomb works really well. As long as you follow the directions you can’t smell any odors in the truck

Lee07

Reaction score
So wanted to check back in with my progress. I put baking soda in the truck overnight and through the day. And after thoroughly cleaning the cab, the smell seems to be gone. Now for the rubber mat I put baking soda on it for half a day. Then the next day I scrubbed it with baking soda and left it out all evening. the smell still seemed to be there the following morning. This morning I used a degreaser to scrub the mat and after about 2 coats of cleaning it I put chemical guys on it and left it outside. Now I can’t smell it. Thank god I didn’t have to buy new mats.
c317a6d396b86a9f584e244605affc84.jpg

redneck

Reaction score
find some one with a ozone generator & put it in the truck for a few hours then leave it shut for 24 hr

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use an ozone generator in my cigar room. It totally eliminates the smoke smell from the room. They are amazing at eliminating all kinds of odors.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn, the little people, are sticky and smelly to begin with. You kept a bag of its poop in your truck? Don't you have a bed to toss that in?

Ozone generator. Aside from that a gallon of kerosene and a match.

Users who are viewing this thread