5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFL Trucks bought a 2019 Rebel

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sorry if this is a repeat but they bought a ram rebel no air suspension and no 12” screen.

I’ll post the link later if this is not a repeat. I looked and didn’t see this posted yet. It will be interesting to see their long term tests. They went spring suspension so they can do a lift. It’s also an e torque so another interesting topic for someone that has a direct line to FCA.

I think this will be good for all of us even myself having a limited.

Last edited:

th3duke

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is a repeat but they bought a ram rebel no air suspension and no 12” screen.

I’ll post the link later if this is not a repeat. I looked and didn’t see this posted yet. It will be interesting to see their long term tests. They went spring suspension so they can do a lift. It’s also an e torque so another interesting topic for someone that has a direct line to FCA.

I think this will be good for all of us even myself having a limited.

Yeah, I was really happy when they announced that they chose the Rebel for long term testing. I just hope they'll be honest with their overall experiences... As you say they may have a direct line with FCA - from what I hear, it's a RAM representative that encouraged them to start the TFL Truck channel back in the day.

dlalvarado

Reaction score
Well I can tell that they're not to happy with MPG either at the moment. Hopefully it gets better with time, along with mine as well. Check out this video they just did a couple of days ago (sorry if this is a repost in anyway).

Horkn

Reaction score
Well I can tell that they're not to happy with MPG either at the moment. Hopefully it gets better with time, along with mine as well. Check out this video they just did a couple of days ago (sorry if this is a repost in anyway).

Yeah, the mpg is not what I was expecting. Hearing 4th gen Rams with the 5.7 getting 22 mpg with regularity was common. A coil sprung etorque hemi rebel crew was what I was looking for after testing an air sprung etorque hemi crew in September. I can't believe that the epa allows ram to use the same EPA mpg ratings on the rebel when I haven't seen anyone get over 20 mpg. Now, there's a possibility that the mpg will go up after it's broken in a bit. Motor trend seems to have been getting better than advertised mpg, even in hemi models as part of the truck of the year award.

dlalvarado

Reaction score
Yeah, the mpg is not what I was expecting. Hearing 4th gen Rams with the 5.7 getting 22 mpg with regularity was common. A coil sprung etorque hemi rebel crew was what I was looking for after testing an air sprung etorque hemi crew in September. I can't believe that the epa allows ram to use the same EPA mpg ratings on the rebel when I haven't seen anyone get over 20 mpg. Now, there's a possibility that the mpg will go up after it's broken in a bit. Motor trend seems to have been getting better than advertised mpg, even in hemi models as part of the truck of the year award.

I also agree that the EPA shouldn't be letting them use the same figures as a normal hemi equipped 1500, just blow's my mind. Because I'm sure like must of us who bought the Rebel we expected to get that mpg the they were preaching. But as of right now my Rebel on the highway is still around 17/18 mpg. And I'm already at 3,400 miles. So anytime soon would be nice to start seeing that 20 mpg or more. Also I am equipped with the air suspension crew cab and etorque hemi.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you, but having 33"big tires with a 3.92 locking rear end in a good looking full size 4 wheel drive hemi powered beast that thinks its an oversized Jeep and screams and rockets when floored, yet feels and rides like a Lexus on the road with a limousine sized back seat is unheard of. For what it does, even 12-16 mpg is so much better than what trucks that were much less refined (and less performance) use to get. My 2004 Cummins 2500 4x4 was rough riding, vague steering and with aftermarket oversize 32" tires only got 10-16 mpg and that was a diesel. It has almost the same payload and towing #'s my new Rebel half ton does. It was much refined from the 2nd gen, and the 2nd gen was big time refined from the farm truck 1st gen. We are truly spoiled! (but we paid big bucks to be spoiled!) I picked up 25 bags of pellets for pellet stove yesterday (1000#) and truck sat exact same height and Duratracs showed no squat and they only had 47# air in rear. It drove and acted like bed was empty. Truly an engineering feat the FCA Ram engineers have delivered. Its like we can have our cake, and eat it too! IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3406.JPG

Last edited:

kjn86

Reaction score
I hear you, but having 33"big tires with a 3.92 locking rear end in a good looking full size 4 wheel drive hemi powered beast that thinks its an oversized Jeep and screams and rockets when floored, yet feels and rides like a Lexus on the road with a limousine sized back seat is unheard of. For what it does, even 12-16 mpg is so much better than what trucks that were much less refined (and less performance) use to get. My 2004 Cummins 2500 4x4 was rough riding, vague steering and with aftermarket oversize 32" tires only got 10-16 mpg and that was a diesel. It has almost the same payload and towing #'s my new Rebel half ton does. It was much refined from the 2nd gen, and the 2nd gen was big time refined from the farm truck 1st gen. We are truly spoiled! (but we paid big bucks to be spoiled!) I picked up 25 bags of pellets for pellet stove yesterday (1000#) and truck sat exact same height and Duratracs showed no squat and they only had 47# air in rear. It drove and acted like bed was empty. Truly an engineering feat the FCA Ram engineers have delivered. Its like we can have our cake, and eat it too!

Well said. I agree completely with you and I wouldn't have rethought my purchase if they said 16 MPG average instead of 20 honestly either, but it is silly to think the Rebel would get the same MPG as the most fuel efficient 1500 model. The tire change alone is enough to know it wouldn't be the same. Anyone who lifts and adds oversized/off road tires knows they will lose fuel economy going in. Ram probably should have done a coil spring, eTorque Rebel MPG test too. Businesses will do what they can get away with within the rules though.

Agitated

Reaction score
I must be the only person that is totally unimpressed with those guys at TFL. They talk way too much and seem fake.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Aren't these the same guys that compared a Rebel and a TRD Tundra then chose the Tundra because it felt smoother on the road and was blue despite the Rebel running circles around it off road? ( also said rebel was air suspension at that)

Horkn

Reaction score
Yeah, those are the same guys. My Audi has air suspension. I won't buy another vehicle with it. My Audi's been reliable too, but those air bags are just rubber, and you know what happens with that eventually.

I know of many 2018 5.0 powered front leveled and bigger tired supercrews getting over 20 mpg. A half ton diesel makes zero sense for me. I tow firewood in a trailer and a 4000 lb boat/trailer.

If a non rebel off road package ram etorque hemi gets over 20 mpg, well then..

dlalvarado

Reaction score
Well said. I agree completely with you and I wouldn't have rethought my purchase if they said 16 MPG average instead of 20 honestly either, but it is silly to think the Rebel would get the same MPG as the most fuel efficient 1500 model. The tire change alone is enough to know it wouldn't be the same. Anyone who lifts and adds oversized/off road tires knows they will lose fuel economy going in. Ram probably should have done a coil spring, eTorque Rebel MPG test too. Businesses will do what they can get away with within the rules though.

I totally get it. I wouldn't of changed my purchase either. As one writer put it from Car and Driver, "The 2019 Ram Rebel is like the Dodge Viper of trucks!". But still with how much we are paying for trucks now days ($50k-$60k) it would of still been nice to see factual MPGs on the build sheet. I get it when lifting and changing tires sizes will do to the MPG, but the true doesn't hurt. The truck is awesome, the curb appeal is sexy, and when it is in someone's rear view mirror it screams, MOVE THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY! lol :)

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
I hear you, but having 33"big tires with a 3.92 locking rear end in a good looking full size 4 wheel drive hemi powered beast that thinks its an oversized Jeep and screams and rockets when floored, yet feels and rides like a Lexus on the road with a limousine sized back seat is unheard of. For what it does, even 12-16 mpg is so much better than what trucks that were much less refined (and less performance) use to get. My 2004 Cummins 2500 4x4 was rough riding, vague steering and with aftermarket oversize 32" tires only got 10-16 mpg and that was a diesel. It has almost the same payload and towing #'s my new Rebel half ton does. It was much refined from the 2nd gen, and the 2nd gen was big time refined from the farm truck 1st gen. We are truly spoiled! (but we paid big bucks to be spoiled!) I picked up 25 bags of pellets for pellet stove yesterday (1000#) and truck sat exact same height and Duratracs showed no squat and they only had 47# air in rear. It drove and acted like bed was empty. Truly an engineering feat the FCA Ram engineers have delivered. Its like we can have our cake, and eat it too! View attachment 9957 View attachment 9958 View attachment 10145
That truck is absolutely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/