5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla’s broken-window Cybertruck debut leaves the internet divided

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tesla’s broken-window Cybertruck debut leaves the internet divided
Wow. This thing is an April Fools joke in late November.
The internet is going to hang onto this Tesla moment for a while. The much anticipated, all-electric “Cybertruck” rolled across the stage late on Thursday to a cheering crowd. And while the angular, cold-rolled steel vehicle looked like it could pretty much survive anything, a steel ball managed to crack the windows during a demonstration to prove they were indeed shatterproof.

0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Uh...this thing is supposed to be a truck, right? Looks like the designer was some 5th grader with a ruler.

Last edited:

derp

Reaction score
this demo makes me sad. those wheels are a crime against sidewalls.

the bed sides are the worst part about a honda ridgeline.
the headlights are ... dubious.

Stainless steel body panels on a production utility vehicle.... it's like having a rolling kitchen appliance with fingerprint marks all over it and a godawful glare.

do not want.

all electric conversion for my existing DT ? tell me more. do not want tesla truck.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's what stealth looked like in the '80s. I saw the side profile and was thinking "F-117 Nighthawk".

rumatt

Reaction score
8194d7702774a53532116018719e219e.jpg

f73da90c5cfa6494813f32fd7dcb0cf5.jpg

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are the outliers that will buy just about anything. Just like every "As Seen on TV" product sells a million.

ldoh

Reaction score
There's some interesting youtube video analysis on the Cybertruck and there is a method to the design madness.

Apparently the triangular shaped exoskeleton adds optimal strength without excess material and weight whereas the old ladder frame is a design from the model T and horse drawn buggies. Ya, that's probably a good thing to modernize!

The triangular shape closely models the ideal air foil so it provides incredible aerodynamics.

The mostly flat sheet metal appearance lowers production costs so the expected entry level price is close to model 3 and the top of the line cybertruck model is much less than the model s.

And with low cost in mind the cybertruck offers more features (larger screen, pneumatic suspension, more internal space, likely a much larger battery) than the model s and x.

And for the price, the real kicker is the cybertruck's range is much more than the model x or s.

It'll be interesting to see if other manufacturers start to copy some of these design ideas.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How far can it actually tow with a load? That's kind of important. I bet they know, but they didn't choose to share that detail.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like that it's actually quite large, he didn't go mid-sized, he went for the heart of the full size at least.

Also, the broken glass things is a non-issue. In fact, I rather have the option for regular glass if it lowers the price, assuming I was in the market (which I'm not).

Its a lifestyle vehicle, though it has the performance and capabilities to match true trucks, if Elon is to be believed. However, as mentioned the range while towing is something not covered, probably for a good reason. Also, those pre-orders aren't a big deal anymore. Especially that it's only $100 now and refundable. If it was $1000 like before and not completely refundable, that would would be something instead.

ldoh

Reaction score
I would say the cybertruck's specs more than match "true truck" capabilities aside from the unknown tow/haul max range.

Youtube videos show the model X only gets about 1/4 of max range when towing max loads but it wasn't designed as a work truck either. There's plenty of research and development with EV semi trucks and tesla is in the mix. They say a 500 mile range on the cost sensitive class 8 truck design (18 wheeler) so they should be able to scale it down to pickups. And special trailers with batteries in the floor will improve range as needed. I imagine rv/trailer manufacturers are very supportive and look forward to growing EV business. It's all inevitable.

Maybe the only concerns are added cost, infrastructure (especially at remote places), and limited natural resources needed for battery production.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
There are the outliers that will buy just about anything. Just like every "As Seen on TV" product sells a million.
Hey wait a minute, my recliner snuggly thing was as seen on tv... Course when it gets washed, we will see what’s left...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I would say the cybertruck's specs more than match "true truck" capabilities aside from the unknown tow/haul max range.

Youtube videos show the model X only gets about 1/4 of max range when towing max loads but it wasn't designed as a work truck either. There's plenty of research and development with EV semi trucks and tesla is in the mix. They say a 500 mile range on the cost sensitive class 8 truck design (18 wheeler) so they should be able to scale it down to pickups. And special trailers with batteries in the floor will improve range as needed. I imagine rv/trailer manufacturers are very supportive and look forward to growing EV business. It's all inevitable.

Maybe the only concerns are added cost, infrastructure (especially at remote places), and limited natural resources needed for battery production.
People thought Prius’ were butt ugly when they first saw them (well, the Gremlin X was right up there too) but Toyota sold a lot of them. 1 to me as a matter of fact. :unsure::whistle:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I like that it's actually quite large, he didn't go mid-sized, he went for the heart of the full size at least.

Also, the broken glass things is a non-issue. In fact, I rather have the option for regular glass if it lowers the price, assuming I was in the market (which I'm not).

Its a lifestyle vehicle, though it has the performance and capabilities to match true trucks, if Elon is to be believed. However, as mentioned the range while towing is something not covered, probably for a good reason. Also, those pre-orders aren't a big deal anymore. Especially that it's only $100 now and refundable. If it was $1000 like before and not completely refundable, that would would be something instead.
Yeah, I was wondering just how many “pre-orders” actually fulfilled their deal, much like pledges on PBS or charity auctions.

Users who are viewing this thread