5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate strength - Motorcycle loading

1200GS

Reaction score
I’m planning to load my 500lbs motorcycle on my truck with a ramp. Since the tailgate is made of aluminum I’m worried if it will be able to take that load when loading the bike... I’m planning to use tailgate support strips for additional strength... any of you have any experience with tailgate strength and loading heavy objects using the tailgate?

S

Smashy71

That’s a bit of weight on a tailgate. I’d invest in a trailer. Lol

1200GS

Reaction score
Another possibility is of course to take the tailgate off while loading and then put it back on when the bike is secured on the truck... but thats of course another step... i’ll definitely not be able to close the tailgate with the bike on the truck

1200GS

Reaction score
Unless you turn the bike and for some reason have both wheels and ALL the bike on the tailgate, i dont believe you are actually putting 500# on the gate at once.

If you are rolling it on with a ramp or off a raised dock, the front part of the bike is on it, ajd for the sake of making it simple, thats now, say, 250#. And I am sure the engineers assumed some 250# man was gonna be stepping on the tailgate getting in and out now and then.

My opinion. Not based on actual experience, just my reasoning and decuction.

True - The whole weight will not be on the tailgate at any time, good point...

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
I have loaded my 01 Yamaha Kodiak several time with no problems. Dry weight is 543 add weight of 4 gallons of gas and my 200 pounds.

1200GS

Reaction score
I have loaded my 01 Yamaha Kodiak several time with no problems. Dry weight is 543 add weight of 4 gallons of gas and my 200 pounds.

Thanks, did you leave the tailgate on and did you use any kind of tailgate support straps?

mjw930

Reaction score
You could also try to ratchet the front side of the bike at a tighter tension to the tie downs than the rear... while keeping it secure. I thibk that woukd force some weight to be distributed more toward the front and off the tailgate.
That will have no effect on the weight distribution. People have been loading much heavier things in the back of pickups for decades and just because it s aluminum doesn’t mean it’s weaker. Consider the 2019 Ram I saw on the road last weekend with a 1200 lb ATV in the back with the rear wheels sitting on the tailgate appeared to have no issues I don’t think a 500lb motorcycle will give you any grief.

1200GS

Reaction score
GS guys don't haul their bikes, they ride them.
I guess then we have different preferences for riding... i don’t enjoy spending 10 hours riding a bike on the highway... and unfortunately don’t have the kind of vacation time to spend days getting to the place I want to ride... but you do you Dgulia

Last edited:

Kidder

Reaction score
What’s GS?
I love mine.
441219960a4433e3fcdffa26b281e255.jpg
3d619f2089c0dde8189ef33a2d229225.jpg

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I guess then we have different preferences for riding... i don’t enjoy spending 10 hours riding a bike on the highway... and unfortunately don’t have the kind of vacation time to spend days getting to the place I want to ride... but you do you Dgulia

I agree with you, 100%. Over the years I have rode tens of thousands of miles on the highways just getting to where I want to ride, now if its more than 3-4 hours away I just haul or trailer it. If I am going be on the slab, I’m gonna be comfortable. I still get 10,000 miles a year on the bike trailering to the mountains and just riding local.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Thanks, did you leave the tailgate on and did you use any kind of tailgate support straps?
I did leave the tailgate on and had no other support straps. My only suggestion is get longer ramps to try and decrease the ramp angle. I have to back my quad in and the folding ramps from Harbor Freight made it a little nerve racking the first time doing it just because of the angle.

Flot

Reaction score
I loaded a 370 lb Honda Rebel motorcycle into my crew cab bed a few weeks back.

Used the harbor freight folding 30" wide aluminum ramp. Worked great, although if you can get the nose of the truck up or the back end down (ie park on an incline) it will make it a lot easier. I walked the bike up the ramp feathering the clutch and stood on the ramp/tailgate next to it. As noted above - the entire weight of the bike was never on the tailgate, since only one tire's weight (plus me) was on the tailgate at any time. Once the back wheel was on the tailgate the front wheel was already in the bed.

Interestingly I managed to fit the bike diagonally in the bed and just barely close the tailgate.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to solidify the answer as @devildodge stated, the new tailgate is still rated at 2000 pounds. Personally, I always have 10-12 50 pound bags of product/livestock feed (500-600 pounds total) on the tailgate and don’t think twice about it. You’ll be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread