5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SyncUP Drive

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
Anybody use the SyncUP Drive OBD2 module from T-Mobile? I am looking if this thing is compatible with the new Ram.

Tech questions:
Are the diagnostics data worth anything? How strong/fast is the hotspot signal? Is the GPS tracking accurate and detailed?

OBD2 questions:
Does the physical plug stick down and get in the way? Does one bang their knees on the device? Are they visible to would-be thieves?

MachineX

Reaction score
Anybody else?

I just ordered mine. Cost $0 for the device and $10 a month for hotspot service and all functions. I'll do a review once I get it and hook it up and test it out.

Just seeing if there are any other thoughts on its usefulness.

markymark907

Reaction score
Anybody else?

I just ordered mine. Cost $0 for the device and $10 a month for hotspot service and all functions. I'll do a review once I get it and hook it up and test it out.

Just seeing if there are any other thoughts on its usefulness.

Ive had the sync up on 2 of my cars and now on my 2019 Ram and I love it, it give you very accurate location tracking the hotspot is a nice feature, it even tracks your gas and battery life and the best thing is if someone hits your car you get notified right away. the device itself of sticks out about 2 inches

MachineX

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I considered the bulk and ordered a low profile OBD2 extension to move the device with some flexibility. Do you encounter any connectivity issues under the dash?

grinch72

Reaction score
Anybody use the SyncUP Drive OBD2 module from T-Mobile? I am looking if this thing is compatible with the new Ram.

Tech questions:
Are the diagnostics data worth anything? How strong/fast is the hotspot signal? Is the GPS tracking accurate and detailed?

OBD2 questions:
Does the physical plug stick down and get in the way? Does one bang their knees on the device? Are they visible to would-be thieves?
Not sure if you use Uconnect remote services BUT if you do, they will get blocked by anything you plug into the ODBII port.

MachineX

Reaction score
Not sure if you use Uconnect remote services BUT if you do, they will get blocked by anything you plug into the ODBII port.
I don't, but that is good info for those that do. There are a lot of OBD2 devices on the market for internet, gps, and other informational uses that stay plugged.

grinch72

Reaction score
I don't, but that is good info for those that do. There are a lot of OBD2 devices on the market for internet, gps, and other informational uses that stay plugged.
I learned the hard way AFTER I purchased an Automatic. It also blocks OTA updates and other things as well. Oh well. Now I know and hopefully, as you said, others now know too!

djwdjw

Reaction score

Where did you hear this? I have a GPS gizmo plugged in to my OBD port and successfully use Uconnect remote services all the time.

grinch72

Reaction score
Where did you hear this? I have a GPS gizmo plugged in to my OBD port and successfully use Uconnect remote services all the time.
From Uconnect directly. As soon as I plugged in my Automatic they stopped working. When I remove it they work fine. They told me it was a security feature.

MachineX

Reaction score
Perhaps talking apples and oranges? What Uconnect version do each of you have installed and tested?

djwdjw

Reaction score
Mine is the 12 and I've been using the latest (iOS) Uconnect and Guardian apps without a problem. The prior Uconnect app was not reliable for remote services, and a lot of people reported issues.

I have a couple of different OBD dongles here I could test (one dealer tracker, the others [not an Automatic] but similar features I will try. I was thinking about getting one of the bluetooth diag dongles to play with also, so this info is interesting. Maybe it depends on the dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread