5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch Pro SP9100 Switch Panel Install

Pompito

Reaction score
Soooo, I got to install Switch Pros SP9100 to manage the leds on my Rebel. Have had switch pros light controllers on my last 3 trucks and definitely love them. The Bluetooth capability and all programming options.
Followed installation location from Hammerdown motorsports youtube video(link here). I assume he is a member here but don't know his nickname to tag him. Instructions on how to remove center console from here (link to forum post). While I was at it I realized it was way easier to just remove the part were you are going to install the switch pros controller than to actually take the whole console out. Purchased the controller and module mount from SDHQ.

For the module side, using the SDQH module mount made it a breeze. Although the plugs end up in the way if you have to remove the battery, but you just disconnect them and there is plenty of space to remove the batt. Pulled all the controller wiring through the drivers side grommet and into the center console.
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

The center console area is where it gets tricky. Just loosen the center console following the instructions so that you can pull it back a couple of inches enough to remove the phone/wireless charger area. No need to take the whole center console out of the truck. Trim the area with the provided template. That area has a back panel so yoou need to trim that also, either use a long dremmel bit(I did) so that both plastic panels get trimmed or trim from the front and from the back. (no pictures sorry, was more concentrated on cursing and trimming the area).

image2.jpeg
This is the final result. Very happy with it. No button inserts yet as I have not wired the LED bars, pods, etc to the switch and don't know on what position they will end up. If you have any questions feel free to drop a message.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice install. Looks very clean. Did you recess the switch panel in vs totally surface mounted like in the video you linked?

Pompito

Reaction score
Nice install. Looks very clean. Did you recess the switch panel in vs totally surface mounted like in the video you linked?
I did recess it, cut open a hole. That is the most you can recess it. That less than 1/4” does not bother me. I believe SDHQ sells some flush mount bezels.
5F44CDC6-1B4B-47CF-9F7F-27F1331275E6.jpeg

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks good. I was thinking if I go that route I would like to still use the phone holder. I know in the video he did, but I if it is recessed a bit, I think it would work even better. About how thick is the control panel do you think?

Pompito

Reaction score
That looks good. I was thinking if I go that route I would like to still use the phone holder. I know in the video he did, but I if it is recessed a bit, I think it would work even better. About how thick is the control panel do you think?
The phone holder is fully usable. The depth is less than 1/2”. This are the specs.
DBB8ADE7-1604-4B33-BDD2-399D0EC064BC.jpeg

Maxx102

Reaction score
Interesting - I have a tray where the CD player would be. I wonder if the Switch Pro would fit there instead of the phone holder. :unsure:

Pompito

Reaction score
Interesting - I have a tray where the CD player would be. I wonder if the Switch Pro would fit there instead of the phone holder. :unsure:
Yes it would! I did not got near the cd player area( opening in mine)

nainey_09

Reaction score
Soooo, I got to install Switch Pros SP9100 to manage the leds on my Rebel. Have had switch pros light controllers on my last 3 trucks and definitely love them. The Bluetooth capability and all programming options.
Followed installation location from Hammerdown motorsports youtube video(link here). I assume he is a member here but don't know his nickname to tag him. Instructions on how to remove center console from here (link to forum post). While I was at it I realized it was way easier to just remove the part were you are going to install the switch pros controller than to actually take the whole console out. Purchased the controller and module mount from SDHQ.

For the module side, using the SDQH module mount made it a breeze. Although the plugs end up in the way if you have to remove the battery, but you just disconnect them and there is plenty of space to remove the batt. Pulled all the controller wiring through the drivers side grommet and into the center console.
View attachment 124347
View attachment 124348

The center console area is where it gets tricky. Just loosen the center console following the instructions so that you can pull it back a couple of inches enough to remove the phone/wireless charger area. No need to take the whole center console out of the truck. Trim the area with the provided template. That area has a back panel so yoou need to trim that also, either use a long dremmel bit(I did) so that both plastic panels get trimmed or trim from the front and from the back. (no pictures sorry, was more concentrated on cursing and trimming the area).

View attachment 124349
This is the final result. Very happy with it. No button inserts yet as I have not wired the LED bars, pods, etc to the switch and don't know on what position they will end up. If you have any questions feel free to drop a message.

Hey bro, i am doing the same install right now! I am having trouble figuring out which fuse to tap under the hood for 12v acc power? None of the fuses under the hood seem to provide 12v power. Can you direct me to the correct fuse number to tap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pompito

Reaction score
Hey bro, i am doing the same install right now! I am having trouble figuring out which fuse to tap under the hood for 12v acc power? None of the fuses under the hood seem to provide 12v power. Can you direct me to the correct fuse number to tap?

I tapped under the steering wheel. I don't remember the exact number but its accessory power.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Here's another mounting option:

nainey_09

Reaction score
I tapped under the steering wheel. I don't remember the exact number but its accessory power.

Thanks! Yeah i figured it out yesterday. I tapped F66 under the dash in case anyone wants to know. Do you have issues with the switch reading low voltage? When i shut the truck off the battery voltage drops below 12v after a while. Then the switch wont turn on next time i start up because it shuts off automatically if it picks up less than 12v from the battery.

Pompito

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah i figured it out yesterday. I tapped F66 under the dash in case anyone wants to know. Do you have issues with the switch reading low voltage? When i shut the truck off the battery voltage drops below 12v after a while. Then the switch wont turn on next time i start up because it shuts off automatically if it picks up less than 12v from the battery.

First of all you might want to check that, voltage should not drop below when shut off unless you have something consuming power. All my switches are set up to work only on ignition so they will only turn on when there is ignition power. Also you can set the low voltage shutdown voltage on the settings, you can try to lower it and see if that works.

nainey_09

Reaction score
First of all you might want to check that, voltage should not drop below when shut off unless you have something consuming power. All my switches are set up to work only on ignition so they will only turn on when there is ignition power. Also you can set the low voltage shutdown voltage on the settings, you can try to lower it and see if that works.

Yeah, mines connected to an acc fuse also. Seems like my battery charges to 14v from the alternator and then drops just below 12v when i shut the engine off. Thanks, ill check the app to see if i can lower the shutoff voltage.

Pompito

Reaction score
Yeah, mines connected to an acc fuse also. Seems like my battery charges to 14v from the alternator and then drops just below 12v when i shut the engine off. Thanks, ill check the app to see if i can lower the shutoff voltage.

That is normal behavior. It will always be around 14v when the alternator is running and 12v when vehicle off but it should not be dropping below 12v quickly unless you some heavy power consumption after off(lights, compressor, inverters, etc) When you get that voltage drop for no particular reason your battery is dying. The SP9100 does not read voltage from the ACC wire, it reads it directly from the battery lead.

nainey_09

Reaction score
That is normal behavior. It will always be around 14v when the alternator is running and 12v when vehicle off but it should not be dropping below 12v quickly unless you some heavy power consumption after off(lights, compressor, inverters, etc) When you get that voltage drop for no particular reason your battery is dying. The SP9100 does not read voltage from the ACC wire, it reads it directly from the battery lead.

Yeah its not quickly. More like overnight it gets just below 12 and stays there. I think ill just lower the voltage that the switch pros turn off at.

xZxCORE

Reaction score
New member and Ram owner here. Just switched from Ford to a new 22 Ram rebel. I know this thread is a few months old but I wanted to ask a question here since I’m having a hard time finding my search. I’m looking for the fuse to tap into under the hood. After a 60k truck I’m not fortunate enough to buy a Switch Pros at this time so went with Auxbeam 6 panel instead. I need to tie in under the hood to acc power so I don’t have to run that wire into the cab. I just finished a custom mount for the relay box this evening that I will share soon. It cost me about $10 to make and the options are very limited to mount that unit by the battery but I figured I would try to contribute in a separate thread for that specifically. Thanks in advance.

nainey_09

Reaction score
New member and Ram owner here. Just switched from Ford to a new 22 Ram rebel. I know this thread is a few months old but I wanted to ask a question here since I’m having a hard time finding my search. I’m looking for the fuse to tap into under the hood. After a 60k truck I’m not fortunate enough to buy a Switch Pros at this time so went with Auxbeam 6 panel instead. I need to tie in under the hood to acc power so I don’t have to run that wire into the cab. I just finished a custom mount for the relay box this evening that I will share soon. It cost me about $10 to make and the options are very limited to mount that unit by the battery but I figured I would try to contribute in a separate thread for that specifically. Thanks in advance.

I personally havent found a fuse for under the hood that is auxiliary powered. Im pretty sure i tried every fuse possible too. The only fuse that i could find was under the steering wheel as far as auxiliary power goes.

Users who are viewing this thread