5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar Install Question

shktrk

Reaction score
My Hellwig Sway Bar should arrive tomorrow. I read numerous post praising this mod. I also read a few people have installed theirs upside down. I assume the bar is not marked. I would prefer to do it right the first time. How do I know which side is which? Also, what setting do you guys recommend? Thanks

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new sway bar "should" match the orientation of the factory bar, so just notate what position the factory bar is in and match the Hellwig to that orientation. As far as setting that is going to be personal preference but it seems most people put it in either the middle or tightest position

_StangPGH

Reaction score
It's all in the main Hellwig thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Hellwig Sway Bar should arrive tomorrow. I read numerous post praising this mod. I also read a few people have installed theirs upside down. I assume the bar is not marked. I would prefer to do it right the first time. How do I know which side is which? Also, what setting do you guys recommend? Thanks
Let me know how you make out...Im ordering mine today.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install is easy only four bolts, takes about 15-20 minutes including the time to get the tools out and put them away.

I installed mine with the bar dipping down in the middle same as the stock bar. Started out on the middle setting for a few months, but just changed to the closest/ firmest setting. Wow what a difference, truck handles so much better now. Even on straight flat roads a quick lane change is tight and responsive as opposed to loose and sloppy.

Here’s Instructions and tools needed another member posted on a different thread.

For the Axel Brackets:
Cordless impact is nice but not needed...
3/8 Ratchet
15mm socket (either deep or std size w/ small ext)
30ft/lb capable tq wrench

For the end links
3/8 ratchet
8mm Socket
18mm Gear Wrench ( not needed but makes the install a lot faster )

Step 1. I disconnected the end-links
Step 2. Unmounted he axle brackets and set the old sway bar aside.
Step 3. Put on the new sway bar on the end-links, making sure the hump was down like stock (have to rotate the bar and simulate it in correct position) and put the nuts back on a few threads
Step 4. Greased the inside of the new bushings and put them on the sway bar.
Step 5. Put the bracket over the bushings and hand treaded in the stock bolts a few turns
Step 6. Tighten down the axel bracket bolts to 30ft/lb
Step 7. Tighten the end-link nuts to german spec.. goodntight!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install is easy only four bolts, takes about 15-20 minutes including the time to get the tools out and put them away.

I installed mine with the bar dipping down in the middle same as the stock bar. Started out on the middle setting for a few months, but just changed to the closest/ firmest setting. Wow what a difference, truck handles so much better now. Even on straight flat roads a quick lane change is tight and responsive as opposed to loose and sloppy.

Here’s Instructions and tools needed another member posted on a different thread.

For the Axel Brackets:
Cordless impact is nice but not needed...
3/8 Ratchet
15mm socket (either deep or std size w/ small ext)
30ft/lb capable tq wrench

For the end links
3/8 ratchet
8mm Socket
18mm Gear Wrench ( not needed but makes the install a lot faster )

Step 1. I disconnected the end-links
Step 2. Unmounted he axle brackets and set the old sway bar aside.
Step 3. Put on the new sway bar on the end-links, making sure the hump was down like stock (have to rotate the bar and simulate it in correct position) and put the nuts back on a few threads
Step 4. Greased the inside of the new bushings and put them on the sway bar.
Step 5. Put the bracket over the bushings and hand treaded in the stock bolts a few turns
Step 6. Tighten down the axel bracket bolts to 30ft/lb
Step 7. Tighten the end-link nuts to german spec.. goodntight!
Thanks.... I was wondering if the installation is going to be different on mine because I have a 4 inch BDS lift

rdz418

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Joeyp, if you ordered the one made for trucks with lifts, you will be replacing the end links. They are adjustable, so you will have to adjust the length, so that the bar is parallel with the ground. Other than that, install is the same and not difficult.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Joeyp, if you ordered the one made for trucks with lifts, you will be replacing the end links. They are adjustable, so you will have to adjust the length, so that the bar is parallel with the ground. Other than that, install is the same and not difficult.
ok thanks... I was hoping to be able just to pop the bar into the existing set up.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on it

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see Hellwig has a front sway bar( Hellwig Front Sway Bar 1 7/16 diameter) also. Has anyone installed it in conjunction with the rear bar, and if so, what was the result. Also, has anyone changed the panhard bar.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I reuse the end links from the BDS kit or should I use theirs?

rdz418

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I don't have the BDS kit, so I don't know what the end links look like. As long as they allow the sway bar to stay parallel, you should be good. Maybe just compare the 2 and use which ones you think would work best.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have the BDS kit, so I don't know what the end links look like. As long as they allow the sway bar to stay parallel, you should be good. Maybe just compare the 2 and use which ones you think would work best.
Thanks! I’ll try and use the BDS if I can because another member told me their bushings were notorious for squeaking and I don’t feel like greasing them every month or two.

Users who are viewing this thread