5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SwarfWorks Hidden Winch

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Nice looking kit. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to add a clutch remote. Maybe a little modification (other than drilling some holes).

IMG_20191111_105159.jpg

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Nice looking kit. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to add a clutch remote. Maybe a little modification (other than drilling some holes).

View attachment 47667
Hmmm....that picture looks familiar.

It would be a bit more difficult than just drilling some holes. First you would have to fabricate an extension to match up with the mounting location of the existing clutch handle to the new handle location. Vice design has an ingenius way of doing it. They use a hard rubber tube with crimped on adapters on each end. The downfall with this though is if your clutch gets bound up it can be a bit of a pain to get things working properly again. A hardened rod would work better in this situation, but then this causes a whole other mess of fitment problems.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They use a hard rubber tube with crimped on adapters on each end. The downfall with this though is if your clutch gets bound up it can be a bit of a pain to get things working properly again. A hardened rod would work better in this situation, but then this causes a whole other mess of fitment problems.
That hydraulic hose solution is pretty slick!
Has some give for compensation of misalignment and is very stiff rotationally.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Hmmm....that picture looks familiar.

It would be a bit more difficult than just drilling some holes. First you would have to fabricate an extension to match up with the mounting location of the existing clutch handle to the new handle location. Vice design has an ingenius way of doing it. They use a hard rubber tube with crimped on adapters on each end. The downfall with this though is if your clutch gets bound up it can be a bit of a pain to get things working properly again. A hardened rod would work better in this situation, but then this causes a whole other mess of fitment problems.

Well you'd definitely know better than me. It would be great if someone did a side-by-side comparison with the Vice mount.

On another note, Kid Richmond's light set-up is about the coolest thing I've ever seen.

tobyw

Reaction score
Interesting... I'd like to see some pictures of the completed install, particularly from the side, as this design appears to sandwich the mounting plate between the bumper and the frame horns, effectively pushing the bumper forward 1/4". Doesn't sound like much, but that's enough to throw off the flow of the fender opening and might cause my eye to twitch :cautious:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Interesting... I'd like to see some pictures of the completed install, particularly from the side, as this design appears to sandwich the mounting plate between the bumper and the frame horns, effectively pushing the bumper forward 1/4". Doesn't sound like much, but that's enough to throw off the flow of the fender opening and might cause my eye to twitch :cautious:
Don't believe there is a way around that. Vice Designs kit does something very similar.

tobyw

Reaction score
Subtle differences between the two mounting designs - the VICE setup mounts behind the frame horn and utilizes the tow hook bolts below the frame horn, so it doesn't relocate the bumper.

VICE:

2d82b2c3-f669-4422-8c90-29a471fddc90-jpeg.37201

Swarf:

IMG_6409.JPG

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Subtle differences between the two mounting designs - the VICE setup mounts behind the frame horn and utilizes the tow hook bolts below the frame horn, so it doesn't relocate the bumper.

VICE:

Swarf:
Oh, I know full well how the Vice kit mounts:
IMG_20191111_150828.jpg
With the way Swarf designed the winch holder I don't think they could have mounted the end brackets behind the bumper plates. They would probably have to redesign it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread