5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension Upgrade

Schralp

Reaction score
I'm looking to level my truck, and upgrade my front suspension. I had a few questions. Since the whole truck is already has a 1" lift, to go up two in the front, am I looking at a 3" lift? It has occurred to me that going 2.5" might be easier on the angles. I don't need anything crazy, and I am looking to stay cost effective, but I also don't wan't crap. Increased travel would be nice. In shopping around, I kind of get lost in so many numbers and sizes. If you have some specifics, that would really help. Thanks.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I'm looking to level my truck, and upgrade my front suspension. I had a few questions. Since the whole truck is already has a 1" lift, to go up two in the front, am I looking at a 3" lift? It has occurred to me that going 2.5" might be easier on the angles. I don't need anything crazy, and I am looking to stay cost effective, but I also don't wan't crap. Increased travel would be nice. In shopping around, I kind of get lost in so many numbers and sizes. If you have some specifics, that would really help. Thanks.

Yeah, it is sort of a conundrum for the 5th Gen Rebels as there are not too many options yet. To go 2-inches over the factory Rebel ride height, you have to look at a 3-inch lift but some systems that fit a base Ram will not fit a Rebel. Most folks go with a 2-2.5 inch front spacer system but that might provide a stiffer ride but certainly will restrict your wheel travel.

Falcon offers a 2.25-inch system but unfortunately nets out less for the Rebel (between 1 to 1.6 inches depending on year, actual truck assemblage from the factory, etc.). Their website is unclear about what the Rebel lift will net out; I made the mistake of buying the system thinking I would get ~2 inches of lift over the Rebel's ride height (even though I tried to vet out before purchase). However, the extra +1-inch if lift provides enough lift to run 34-35 inch tall tires and the ride quality is excellent once the front shocks settle in (there is no rear lift but you get the upgraded shocks). It is not cheap but much cheaper than a quality coil-over system.

I am looking at the Factech 3-inch Dirt Logic system that purportedly will provide at least the 2-inches over the Rebel lift system with new top tier Dirt Logic coil-overs but it is not cheap. Icon also has a system that net up to 1.5-inches over the factory Rebel height but also is not cheap as well as any other high-end quality coil-over system. Hopefully there will be more offerings soon and/or someone else will chime in with something I am not thinking about at the moment.

Schralp

Reaction score
Thanks. If anyone out there is reading, I do not recommend adding a spacer. I tried that and my off road ride went to total crap. Truck feels like a jumping jelly bean now. It was $400 down the drain. I was at a point where I was about to spend whatever it cost to have it removed, but found a nice product by Fabtech. 1590876305426.png

It is a 3" front coil over lift with new UCA's. I wasn't originally going to spend all that money, but this seems like it will be a serious upgrade. There isn't any sense in having a nice truck that doesn't work properly. No one else had anything over 2.5, and running coilovers maxed out brings about similar pogo stick type issues. I was pretty keen on the Icon setup, until I found this one, which is specifically designed at 3". I will repost when it gets installed. In the meantime, Kudos to fabtech for at least not leaving Rebel owners in the lurch like everyone else.

MetalDog

Reaction score
Carli is coming out with a badass suspension (not lift) for the 1500 soon.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Thanks. If anyone out there is reading, I do not recommend adding a spacer. I tried that and my off road ride went to total crap. Truck feels like a jumping jelly bean now. It was $400 down the drain. I was at a point where I was about to spend whatever it cost to have it removed, but found a nice product by Fabtech. View attachment 57616

It is a 3" front coil over lift with new UCA's. I wasn't originally going to spend all that money, but this seems like it will be a serious upgrade. There isn't any sense in having a nice truck that doesn't work properly. No one else had anything over 2.5, and running coilovers maxed out brings about similar pogo stick type issues. I was pretty keen on the Icon setup, until I found this one, which is specifically designed at 3". I will repost when it gets installed. In the meantime, Kudos to fabtech for at least not leaving Rebel owners in the lurch like everyone else.

Yes, that is the exact system I was referring too in my post above yours. I am hoping to have it any day now too!

Schralp

Reaction score
Yes, that is the exact system I was referring too in my post above yours. I am hoping to have it any day now too!
Being skeptical, I emailed to ask for more details. This was the response I got. I am hopeful that he is correct.
“Hello Scott. I understand your concern. We found a sweet spot with our 3” kit. Our National Sales manager has it on his truck as well as our outside salesman in Texas. We have absolutely zero issues with angles on our 3” kits. Just don’t fudge the adjustment on the coil overs to try to get more height. Anything higher than 3”, I would agree with you. Our next step on the Rams is a 6” lift, and that does come with other diff drop bracket components. We just do not have a working 6” kit for the Rebels yet.

Tony Fileccia
West Coast Outside Sales/Tech
FABTECH IND.
(909) 597-7800 office
(909) 597-7185 fax
Find us on the web
www.fabtechmotorsports.com
Find us on Facebook
www.facebook.com/fabtechmotorsports

Myke

Reaction score
I would keep an eye on Fab-Tech 6” lift. The truck that I just traded in for my new Rebel was a 2013 Nissan Frontier with a Fab-Tech 6” lift, 20” x 9” rims 0” offset on Duratrac tires. Rotated tires every 3-5k(50k+ on a set of tires). Ran up 70k miles on the truck before the locker diff solenoid acted up. Point is, it drove like a dream, no float at 80 mph or more, never really got stuck unless I was asking for it, and had tire clearance. Fair amount of rubber for a small truck. The Fab-Tech product worked for that application for what it’s worth. It is fun to push stuff as long as it works.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you had a crappy ride on your rebel with a spacer? Ive been to hell and back in my rebel and it rides like a F****** champ! Even with the PSI at its normal pressure it rides just like stock 20191130_130218.jpg

Attachments

• AzusaRebel.jpg
    AzusaRebel.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 55

SkyDweller

Reaction score
Installed Rough Country 3.5” lift on my 2020 Rebel. Worked out great! Added 1.5” Titan Wheel spacers for stock Wheels.

Attachments

• FB8182CA-E5E5-41EA-BB3C-858302A924ED.jpeg
    FB8182CA-E5E5-41EA-BB3C-858302A924ED.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 5095EF8C-BE2F-4B8B-BE9A-53FC34C5BB40.jpeg
    5095EF8C-BE2F-4B8B-BE9A-53FC34C5BB40.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 628E3825-A2ED-4023-9E9C-451976C9E7F1.jpeg
    628E3825-A2ED-4023-9E9C-451976C9E7F1.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 121
  • EE3E1794-92F2-40AA-BF1F-B7E1A5C98DB8.jpeg
    EE3E1794-92F2-40AA-BF1F-B7E1A5C98DB8.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 112
  • A883CCBE-FA68-4D35-AE5C-43253F23F05F.jpeg
    A883CCBE-FA68-4D35-AE5C-43253F23F05F.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 101

Schralp

Reaction score
So you had a crappy ride on your rebel with a spacer? Ive been to hell and back in my rebel and it rides like a F****** champ! Even with the PSI at its normal pressure it rides just like stock View attachment 59603
Nice. What spacer did you have put in? Due to ignorance, my spacer was a pre-load. Around town the ride is great. My problems have been the drastic increase in bounce and decrease in dampening off road.

Schralp

Reaction score
Yeah, it is sort of a conundrum for the 5th Gen Rebels as there are not too many options yet. To go 2-inches over the factory Rebel ride height, you have to look at a 3-inch lift but some systems that fit a base Ram will not fit a Rebel. Most folks go with a 2-2.5 inch front spacer system but that might provide a stiffer ride but certainly will restrict your wheel travel.

Falcon offers a 2.25-inch system but unfortunately nets out less for the Rebel (between 1 to 1.6 inches depending on year, actual truck assemblage from the factory, etc.). Their website is unclear about what the Rebel lift will net out; I made the mistake of buying the system thinking I would get ~2 inches of lift over the Rebel's ride height (even though I tried to vet out before purchase). However, the extra +1-inch if lift provides enough lift to run 34-35 inch tall tires and the ride quality is excellent once the front shocks settle in (there is no rear lift but you get the upgraded shocks). It is not cheap but much cheaper than a quality coil-over system.

I am looking at the Factech 3-inch Dirt Logic system that purportedly will provide at least the 2-inches over the Rebel lift system with new top tier Dirt Logic coil-overs but it is not cheap. Icon also has a system that net up to 1.5-inches over the factory Rebel height but also is not cheap as well as any other high-end quality coil-over system. Hopefully there will be more offerings soon and/or someone else will chime in with something I am not thinking about at the moment.
Did you get your lift yet? I'm still waiting on my order.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. What spacer did you have put in? Due to ignorance, my spacer was a pre-load. Around town the ride is great. My problems have been the drastic increase in bounce and decrease in dampening off road.
Oh no wonder lol I would never change preload on an oem spring. I have a 2" billet aluminum spacer made by readylift with their UCA

Schralp

Reaction score
Oh no wonder lol I would never change preload on an oem spring. I have a 2" billet aluminum spacer made by readylift with their UCA
Ya. I pretty much threw $400 with instal and alignment away. I learned a lesson though. I'm sure that the New UCA's helped a great deal.

Schralp

Reaction score
My suspension finally arrived. Having it installed next Tuesday. I will try to get it out Wednesday to test it and respond here.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My suspension finally arrived. Having it installed next Tuesday. I will try to get it out Wednesday to test it and respond here.
Sweet! Can't wait to hear about it. I have to wait 5-7 weeks for a coil over kit I just ordered. Apparently king coil overs for 5th gen rams are built until after purchase

Schralp

Reaction score
Sweet! Can't wait to hear about it. I have to wait 5-7 weeks for a coil over kit I just ordered. Apparently king coil overs for 5th gen rams are built until after purchase
Ya. I'm sure the kings will be sweet. Fabtech is made to order as well, thus the five week wait. What part of so cal?

Users who are viewing this thread